Prediction Pre-Season Supplemental Selection & Mid-Season Rookie Draft

Who would you choose in the Mis-Season Draft: Multiple selections allowed

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

We have dead wood in Mohr and Tom Mitch who from his last press appearance basically said he doesn't want to jeopardise the rest of his career by playing this year.

A window of opportunity to get access to a mature ager or some sort of talent. Isaac Smith Nick Hind are examples there are always blokes who.come.out of the woodwork. If we have pick 3 or so would be crazy to not use it.

We have to use this pick 3.

It’s no loss to take a punt on a couple of kids/guys for 6 months with the intention to rookie list them for next year.
Honestly I hope we shuffle the cat A&B positions again, put Mohr on LTI with Mitchell, retire Birch & Rough & roll out a couple of guys to train with us & play BH to see how they go.
I have no idea who that might be but with 300 players to choose from there has to be a couple of quality players that can add some real depth & provide some competition for spots.

It’s no loss to take a punt on a couple of kids/guys for 6 months with the intention to rookie list them for next year.
Honestly I hope we shuffle the cat A&B positions again, put Mohr on LTI with Mitchell, retire Birch & Rough & roll out a couple of guys to train with us & play BH to see how they go.
I have no idea who that might be but with 300 players to choose from there has to be a couple of quality players that can add some real depth & provide some competition for spots.
Gralin accurately stated the opportunity loss for the Hawks if we take players who will be delisted in 6 months.

Query: PhatHQ:
- if Cogs is coming to the Hawks (IMO it is looking very likely)... who would you recruit?

Last edited:
Boucher from box hill oozes class. Classic high half forward. Would not be a wasted pick

Actually it would be a complete waste. Another half forward is not needed. There’s already Hanrahan, Ross and Walker all developing at Box Hill. There are other key areas that need filling.

Actually it would be a complete waste. Another half forward is not needed. There’s already Hanrahan, Walker, and Ross all developing at Box Hill. There’s other key areas that need filling.

This is true, and if Hawthorn make any move I doubt it will be to fill a gap for 6 months. They'll look for the best possible player for a longer period of time.

Doesn't make sense as our forward line is fine for everything but talls, as is our defense. The stock we'd be looking to invest in would be KPP depth or midfield depth.

Again - I have my fingers and toes crossed for Hibberd.

This is true, and if Hawthorn make any move I doubt it will be to fill a gap for 6 months. They'll look for the best possible player for a longer period of time.

Doesn't make sense as our forward line is fine for everything but talls, as is our defense. The stock we'd be looking to invest in would be KPP depth or midfield depth.

Again - I have my fingers and toes crossed for Hibberd.
A lot of love for Hibberd... in his draft year he was running a 1/2 back... then at Norf... could not get a game

To put this nicely, did Norf get it wrong?

Adelaide did with Henderson... sooo

Im all aboard for either Munn or Reid. KPB. if not Bennell or Riordan. Look for upside. Its a free hit! If we draft Reid we will have the two key backs from u/18 all australian side year. Not a bad start, surely one will make it.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

A lot of love for Hibberd... in his draft year he was running a 1/2 back... then at Norf... could not get a game

To put this nicely, did Norf get it wrong?

Adelaide did with Henderson... sooo

It's my opinion that North got it wrong, but so might have most teams. He's developed into a much better contested player than most would have predicted. Even Williamstown drafted him as a HB, they've thrown him into the midfield the past few weeks and he's played really well.

He's just a really good size with good athletic qualities, and he's good overhead which is an extremely underrated quality for a midfielder to have.

[
It's my opinion that North got it wrong, but so might have most teams. He's developed into a much better contested player than most would have predicted. Even Williamstown drafted him as a HB, they've thrown him into the midfield the past few weeks and he's played really well.

He's just a really good size with good athletic qualities, and he's good overhead which is an extremely underrated quality for a midfielder to have.
Great info: do you think he could be in Hawthorns next premiership team... or a bridge to get them there?

Great info: do you think he could be in Hawthorns next premiership team... or a bridge to get them there?

Hard to say really, I don't think there are many players running around at a mature age or that missed out on being drafted from the under 18s that are a sure fire inclusion that will get you to your next premiership.

That said, he's all of 22 years old and offers a fair bit, should only continue to improve.

Ultimately it seems we're testing Glass as a midfielder, and if he projects to offer a lot of what Hibberd does (which based on attributes he should) then I'd cool a bit on picking him up. Having an athletic, long kicking, strong marking 190cm midfielder isn't something that will drag us further away from a premiership at least.

Isaac Smith, willie rioli, Liam Ryan, Luke Ryan, Michael Barlow, Sam collins, Stratton, podsiadly, Tim Kelly, these are just a few of the players taken from state leagues. We have a chance to get someone like this 6 months early, without using a draftpick, or spot on the list, it would be silly not to take advantage of it for the sake of 30k

Actually it would be a complete waste. Another half forward is not needed. There’s already Hanrahan, Ross and Walker all developing at Box Hill. There are other key areas that need filling.
Disagree. Our issue is half forward. We have No one on that line that takes the game on, and is capable of hitting a target. I think we fill this role, and the others fall into place

Hard to say really, I don't think there are many players running around at a mature age or that missed out on being drafted from the under 18s that are a sure fire inclusion that will get you to your next premiership.

That said, he's all of 22 years old and offers a fair bit, should only continue to improve.

Ultimately it seems we're testing Glass as a midfielder, and if he projects to offer a lot of what Hibberd does (which based on attributes he should) then I'd cool a bit on picking him up. Having an athletic, long kicking, strong marking 190cm midfielder isn't something that will drag us further away from a premiership at least.
A well reasoned argument... cheers rogie

Isaac Smith, willie rioli, Liam Ryan, Luke Ryan, Michael Barlow, Sam collins, Stratton, podsiadly, Tim Kelly, these are just a few of the players taken from state leagues. We have a chance to get someone like this 6 months early, without using a draftpick, or spot on the list, it would be silly not to take advantage of it for the sake of 30k
Sam Collins... arrrggg. Letting him go from under our nose was criminal. I remember thinking: Box Hill’s full back: he is steady, rarely makes a mistake.
As I said to Jeniffer Hawkins, sometime the best things are right in front of you...:( I must get rid of that photo.

Disagree. Our issue is half forward. We have No one on that line that takes the game on, and is capable of hitting a target. I think we fill this role, and the others fall into place
Yep we always seem to hit targets going forward and then bypass half forward by bombing it long.

I'd like us to target a quick, strong-bodied, aggressive FP from a State League. Someone that loves a tackle as much as a goal.

Another Puopolo would be amazing, but he has a lot of class to complement his grunt work so replicating that (for free) is gonna be tough...

Other clubs have had recent success in grabbing FP from WAFL. Guys that had plenty of talent but had off-field issues or hadn't taken footy seriously until turning 22-23 etc.

Gralin accurately stated the opportunity loss for the Hawks if we take players who will be delisted in 6 months.

Query: PhatHQ:
- if Cogs is coming to the Hawks (IMO it is looking very likely)... who would you recruit?
Honestly I have no idea but I would be looking at the best players available regardless of need.
I have said before that someone like Jamie Elliot could release Wingard to the midfield.
If there was someone with pace to burn & can snag a few goals I think it is an easy shuffle of the deck to increase our elite midfield capacity & scoring potential.
Elliot is a FA & would fill that need if necessary. Jeff Garlett (argh!) would almost be worth a shot if he would just kick a football proper. VFL big ???
Even another mid BPA would only add to our depth.
How cool would it be to grab a Tim Kelly or Sydney Stack mid season knowing that they are available now rather than waiting in line in next years draft to pick them up.
For me it’s a no brainer to add a couple of players.

Back