News Pre-season supplemental selection period between December 1 and March 15

Jirik13

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 22, 2018
AFL Club
Gold Coast
If I am not mistaken Powell get JLT games because he is in Top 5 in 2km trial. Dawson emergency also in Top 5. You can compromise a bit as a forward , engine room like midfield no way .
Yes, Powell and Dawson both were top 5. Powell improved out of sight despite he is still skinny. He also understands the game. I am not sure I can say about Brodie. Interestingly, Rocket mentioned in his interview that it will take Brodie 3-4 years to develop and play regularly. It looks like Rocket is right on the money.

Going for an inside mid seems like a really smart move from the Suns. Sure Thompson is a defender and you guys are very weak with tall defenders right now, but was even worse for you in the inside mid stocks.

Theyve still got Collins Burgess and Hombsch they are ok for KPDs. Their midfield is the issue.

Feb 28, 2007
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
Day can also play defence as well. As you suggest our midfield is an easy 18th out of 18.

Though in a way that is a good thing, because if one of your midfield, defence or forward line was 18 out of 18 in terms of quality it is actually easiest to fix the midfield as it is easier to find serviceable to good midfielders than it is serviceable to good forwards or defenders. Means that while 2019 is going to suck for the Suns it should be a bit quicker to get better than it would be if your forward line was truly awful.

Sep 28, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Arsenal
Though in a way that is a good thing, because if one of your midfield, defence or forward line was 18 out of 18 in terms of quality it is actually easiest to fix the midfield as it is easier to find serviceable to good midfielders than it is serviceable to good forwards or defenders. Means that while 2019 is going to suck for the Suns it should be a bit quicker to get better than it would be if your forward line was truly awful.
I actually don't mind our forward line Wright looks set to kick on this year. His JLT2 looked quality against the Swans, hopefully translates, the likes of Martin, Ainsworth and Sexton should provide good support up forward and hopefully hold onto Lukosius and develop him.

Pykie

Cancelled
10k Posts A Star Wars Fan Pokemon is Life North Melbourne - North 2007 Player Sponsor North Melbourne - 2013 Daw, Black and Gibson Player Sponsorship
Sep 17, 2006
Lord's
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Leeds United
Does anyone know the rules for inactive (retired/injured etc) players list? Can Rioli be put on it?

I believe you have to be retired or placed on the LTI list for the entire season.

I doubt suspension counts, as you could do the same with a tribunal suspension.

liz

Norm Smith Medallist
Nov 14, 2001
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
Pies fans will probably be able to give you an answer - ie were they permitted to replace Murray last year? (Though there might be a difference depending on whether a player is serving a provisional and length-unspecified suspension or a definite sentence. I realise Rioli is still on provisional suspension, but his case may have been dealt with by the time the SPP period closes in March.)

Pies fans will probably be able to give you an answer - ie were they permitted to replace Murray last year? (Though there might be a difference depending on whether a player is serving a provisional and length-unspecified suspension or a definite sentence. I realise Rioli is still on provisional suspension, but his case may have been dealt with by the time the SPP period closes in March.)
Murray was rookied during his suspension.

Does anyone know the rules for inactive (retired/injured etc) players list? Can Rioli be put on it?
The inactive list seems to be if they’re out for the rest of the season due to retirement or injury. Not sure about suspensions.

There’s an article on the afl website in relation to the mid-season rookie draft that explains it, if I remember right.

Who’s still got a list spot?

Eagles have one, which seems destined to go to a small forward. We’ve recently invited ex-Geelong rookie Jamaine Jones to train with the side, WAFL squad members Brady Grey (ex-Docker) and Nick Reid are also still in the running. Ex-Blue Jarrod Pickett and Central District’s Isaya McKenzie have been ruled out, the latter after he unfortunately did his ACL at training.

Adelaide- looks likely to go to SANFL squad member James Matthews
Carlton - trialing a few guys including ex-Bulldog Lukas Webb but I don’t think they have a list spot currently?
Collingwood - looks likely to go to Lynden Dunn
Essendon - trialing Nigel Lockyer from NT and Brynn Teakle from East Freo, both of whom are playing tonight. Think they have one spot, which is from putting Lachlan Johnson on the inactive list. Already added Jacob Townsend
Hawthorn - Minchington and Cassar, as above
Melbourne - already added Mitch Brown and Harley Bennell
Eagles - tossing up between Jamaine Jones, Brady Grey and Nick Reid

Think that’s everyone?

Pykie

Cancelled
10k Posts A Star Wars Fan Pokemon is Life North Melbourne - North 2007 Player Sponsor North Melbourne - 2013 Daw, Black and Gibson Player Sponsorship
Sep 17, 2006
Lord's
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Leeds United
Adam Tipungwuti will be playing for North against Melbourne tomorrow in a practice match.

Fair chance we put Turner or Jacobs on the LTI.

We are obviously keen on him given this is an AFL hitout and he only signed for the VFL side about a week ago.

Carlton - trialing a few guys including ex-Bulldog Lukas Webb but I don’t think they have a list spot currently?

Pretty sure we have moved Kemp onto the long term injury list - or we're planning to anyway - which will open up a spot.

Four players have been training with us - Webb, Cunico, Moore and Sturgess.

Webb did his hamstring last week vs the Pies so almost certainly won't get the spot, whilst Moore has been named for this weekend's game vs Fremantle so he's certainly still in the mix.

Back