NRL Pre season thread - News, transfers and discussion

Discussion in 'Rugby League - NRL - Super League' started by Jatz, Dec 5, 2017.

Put it out there
  1. Jatz

Jatz Moderator

Carlton
    Other teams:
    Eagles, LCFC, WSW.
    Hi All,

Thought it might be useful to have a 'catch all' pre season thread. Injuries/signings etc.

I'll start this one with the ongoing feud between Paul Gallen and Nathan Brown.

My personal favourite lines from the (hypocritical) boofhead:

Ahh Paul, so it's alright for you to take a free swing at the Knights but when someone returns serve, all of a sudden it's a cheap shot? Riiiiiiiiiiiight.

https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nr...n/news-story/368c13d70a218a919d4bad9cf457b1da

(Log in to remove this ad.)

2. Jatz

Jatz Moderator

Carlton
    Other teams:
    Eagles, LCFC, WSW.
    In other news, Paul Kent raises some interesting points regarding the Hayne contract:

It's not an unreasonable point to be fair. I'd be interested in seeing the rationale behind green lighting the Parra contract.

https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nr...h/news-story/33b68317cc8bc75af5fe334641d30c85

3. Jatz

Jatz Moderator

Carlton
    Other teams:
    Eagles, LCFC, WSW.
    Finally for now (sorry, I'll stop spamming my own thread), with James Maloney moving to the Panthers, here's a couple of players in their new colours.

upload_2017-12-5_8-50-30.png

upload_2017-12-5_8-51-29.png

upload_2017-12-5_8-52-30.png

upload_2017-12-5_8-52-54.png

4. Jatz

Jatz Moderator

Carlton
    Other teams:
    Eagles, LCFC, WSW.
  5. raptalia

raptalia Premium Platinum

Port Adelaide
    Other teams:
    Is this a serious thread or a pissing contest? I will revisit when you have some serious off season info to share and decide to promote serious debate.

6. Jatz

Jatz Moderator

Carlton
    Other teams:
    Eagles, LCFC, WSW.
    Bizarre post aside, why don't you share a 'a serious debate' you might like to discuss? I'll have the conversation with you.

Where did you get the idea of a pissing contest btw? I wasn't even talking with anyone else - who's the contest between? :huh:

7. raptalia

raptalia Premium Platinum

Port Adelaide
    Other teams:
    You start off with some feud between Pal Gallen and Nathan Brown that is all about something buried in the past. What has that got to do with off season movement or the 2018 season?

I might just as easily have started a thread about Wayne Bennett's comments re Jack Bird's fitness but that is not what I assume this thread to be about. You either want a serious thread about the NRL or you want somewhere to hang the dirty linen.

If you want to start a serious debate you might comment on the move of Mitvchell peartce to the Knights or Maloney to Penrith or Moylan to the Sharks. Those of us who do not live in Sydney have to rely on NRL 360 or Big Footy to get information about signings etc.

8. Jatz

Jatz Moderator

Carlton
    Other teams:
    Eagles, LCFC, WSW.
    How is that 'feud' buried in the past? These are comments that have been made in the last week. I'd say that's pretty current, no?

I don't feel particularly strongly about Gallen one way or another. I'm certainly not trying to hang any dirty linen. In this instance I feel he's being silly but that's just my opinion.

I have already posted about the Hayne contract being ratified by the NRL. Do you have an opinion on that?

AuckMel likes this.
  9. andrew coombs

andrew coombs Club Legend

Hawthorn
    Other teams:
    hawthorn
    Graham Annesly from the Titans deserves an Academy award for his work in maintaining a serious face when thanking Hayne for his contribution for Gold Coast. I saw through it, he is one of the happiest blokes in Australia. Parra have pulled the wrong rein here. Arthur was either overruled by the board or didn’t pay enough attention during his time with Bellamy. Hard to win Premierships with blokes on the roster who pick and choose when to give full effort.

phantom13 and Jatz like this.
  10. AuckMel

AuckMel Kiwi_Power

Collingwood
    Other teams:
    NZ Warriors, Wallan FNC
    Breach notice hits Manly's cap space

Link

No great surprise here.

Jatz likes this.
  11. robbieando

robbieando Moderator

Sydney
    Other teams:
    Funny that the two teams that lost Grand Finals to the Storm during the years they were cheating have since been busted for cheating the cap over multiple years. Stones, glass houses and all that.

AuckMel likes this.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

12. Stevi_Tigers

Stevi_Tigers Hall of Famer

Richmond
    Other teams:
    Manchester United
    How come the Sydney clubs found guilty of cap breaches get a slap on the wrist but they went to town on the storm

NRL make the afl look like saints and geniuses by how bad that comps ran

13. boncer34

boncer34 It's just the way I say things

Essendon
    Other teams:
    Melbourne Storm
    Can't wait for another limp wristed reaction from the NRL

14. Jatz

Jatz Moderator

Carlton
    Other teams:
    Eagles, LCFC, WSW.
    This has Bozo written all over it...

It all depends on how far over the cap we're talking. Doesn't sound good though.

Further proof that TPA's are a joke and should be removed from the game. Manly won't be the only ones guilty of this. Hell, James Maloney inadvertently let slip regarding his recent contract with Penrith. Can bet the auditors will set up at the foot of the mountain for a little while.

15. phantom13

phantom13 Moderator

St Kilda
    Other teams:
    Read a very sketchy article today that Manly were considering chasing Todd Carney before this broke, any chance someone else would have a look?

Shell likes this.
  16. Jatz

Jatz Moderator

Carlton
    Other teams:
    Eagles, LCFC, WSW.
    Would highly doubt it. They were looking at him and Trent as they don't have a 5/8 to play alongside DCE.

Can't think of another team who'd throw him a lifeline.

17. Jatz

Jatz Moderator

Carlton
    Other teams:
    Eagles, LCFC, WSW.
    https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nr...t/news-story/14da852a8bdf3fa5f17d67702047ad31

Looks like a fine only for Manly. The amount was far less than Parra's which obviously helps.

18. phantom13

phantom13 Moderator

St Kilda
    Other teams:
    Bunnies, Dogs, Titans? All fairly weak in the halves aren't they (might be forgetting someone in there)

Shell likes this.
  19. Jatz

Jatz Moderator

Carlton
    Other teams:
    Eagles, LCFC, WSW.
    Bunnies are set, with Inglis back they'll move Walker back to 5/8 to partner Reynolds.

Dogs have Foran and MBye, with Frawley as back up.

Titans have Elgey and Taylor. Gold Coast would probably be the most likely but were burned by Hayne just recently.

20. Jatz

Jatz Moderator

Carlton
    Other teams:
    Eagles, LCFC, WSW.
  21. Jatz

Jatz Moderator

Carlton
    Other teams:
    Eagles, LCFC, WSW.
    Seems weird to me you wouldn't put up a picture of him in a Titans jersey but anyway.

Good acquisition for the Titans.

AuckMel likes this.
  22. AuckMel

AuckMel Kiwi_Power

Collingwood
    Other teams:
    NZ Warriors, Wallan FNC