Training Pre-season Training 2017

Remove this Banner Ad

I think your criticism of Darling is somewhat over the top. Certainly, his 2015 GF performance was not great but he was no orphan. I find it hard to remember who was good, Sheppard possibly. Naitanui was ordinary, Kennedy didn't get near the ball, Lecras was horrible, Masten was worse, I could just about go through the whole team. From my POV the focus on Darling is unwarranted and unfair, he made a couple of bad mistakes and people such as you are going on and on about it. Kennedy was not good in these games but you are not going on about him. I think Jack is a very impressive and tough player, even more so considering his relatively young age.
WC are in a strong position having two quality KPFs, most teams are not in this position, and most commentators, including Victorians, acknowledge this.
But when he set the standard high in his first two years and now he's become soft as butter, its extremely frustrating. Darling would be in every teams best 22, so there's no issue with what he does do. However now he's now at an age and status at the club where not standing up in big games and doing weak things is not one bit acceptable.

But when he set the standard high in his first two years and now he's become soft as butter, its extremely frustrating. Darling would be in every teams best 22, so there's no issue with what he does do. However now he's now at an age and status at the club where not standing up in big games and doing weak things is not one bit acceptable.
Soft as butter is an exaggeration and what about 15 other players who were pathetic in the big games. He is being unfairly picked on as far as I'm concerned.

Darling's first two years were amazing. Especially his debut year. He set a high bar immediately.

Hasn't wowed us since IMO, can definitely take his game to another level.

Needs to stop paying for free kicks firstly.

He needs to impact games and really take control of them on a regular basis - especially in big games.

Darling's first two years were amazing. Especially his debut year. He set a high bar immediately.

Hasn't wowed us since IMO, can definitely take his game to another level.

Needs to stop paying for free kicks firstly.

He needs to impact games and really take control of them on a regular basis - especially in big games.
He's development stalled. I thik this year he could have a good year playing as a third tall.
One issue for darling is that a modern game asks for players his size offer a bit futher down the ground.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Resting ruckman is not really what you would consider a true second tall though.
Both Vardy and Petrie are dangerous enough to warrant the second tall defender when they go forward. Once Giles gets going, Vardy/Petrie would spend more time up forward.

Sorry, don't see it. If Mcgovern moves forward then defintely
Well even in JLT series darling played as a third tall at times. If Giles gets back to his best, he will ruck majority of the game and that will leave one of Vardy or Petrie in the forwardline. Both are more forwards than rucks.

Darlings stats get skewed by the fact his second year he was the main man in the forward line because JK was injured. He kicked 50 for the season and people set the expectations high as a result.

Fact is he hasn't been the main man in the forward line since, JK reclaimed his mantle. People still expect him to kick 50+ but he isn't the main target any more so it's a hard expectation to live up to.

What he does consistently provide is 40+ goals a year as a secondary target. People still think this isn't enough but reality is the only secondary tall forwards in the league to consistently do this is Gunston and Jenkins. With Jenkins you could almost argue that post Walkers knee injury he's become their go to man in their forward line also. Heck Darling still kicks more goals than a lot of teams get out of their main key forward which isn't a feat to be sneezed at.

So bottom line is as a secondary target he's still amongst the best in the league at what he does. People's expectations of him as the secondary target are pie in the sky and glossing over the good results he is putting in as a result.

This is further confounded by the half-wits who say "derp finals gamez!", he had some bad finals moments, so did the rest of the team so get over it.

Last edited:
Ey??? My wife said she noticed the lack of couples posts between him and Ellie. Is this true?
I don't know them personally but from social media I would say so... she has been posting photos that newly single girls tend to post for a while, they haven't had a photo of them together for ages, and he didn't go out for dinner with her and her family on her birthday, while her sisters boyfriend did (as in you'd think if her sisters bf was there, hers would to if she had one).

I don't know them personally but from social media I would say so... she has been posting photos that newly single girls tend to post for a while, they haven't had a photo of them together for ages, and he didn't go out for dinner with her and her family on her birthday, while her sisters boyfriend did (as in you'd think if her sisters bf was there, hers would to if she had one).
Recent post on his Insta account with an old pic of them wishing her a happy birthday with love heart emojis etc. Wasn't particularly gushy but don't think he's ever been that way on his social media accounts about his relationship.

Recent post on his Insta account with an old pic of them wishing her a happy birthday with love heart emojis etc. Wasn't particularly gushy but don't think he's ever been that way on his social media accounts about his relationship.
I forgot about that one. Maybe they are just taking a break then.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back