Pre-Season Training 2018-19

Remove this Banner Ad

Nothing wrong with that but this line is very similar to the philosophy that Daveron employed when he started flogging them on the track and coincidentally started our retched run of injury. Happy to break a few eggs to make an omelette iirc.

“So there’s nowhere to hide. Players will either become more resilient and go to the next level or they’ll raise the white flag."
They said exactly the same last year concerning the pitting of individuals against direct competitors for their position.

The above makes me worried that if we've become that cutthroat we could erase the camaraderie that we displayed this year.

I don't get that feeling at all. Competition for spots can only be good for the team as a whole. Push each other all the way and those that can't cut it fall away. From the outside looking in the camaraderie between the group looks the best it's been for years (in Buckley's tenure anyway). There seems to be a genuine care for each other; players and coaches alike. Senior players taking a reported voluntary pay cut to get Beams in and player signing on for reported unders (Langdon/Moore etc) a good sign for me. Can't see that changing anytime soon.

If this Buckley break thing works I'd expect other clubs to follow suit in years to come. I like that we are trying something different. Maybe it will work, maybe it wont. We won't die wondering at least.

I don't get that feeling at all. Competition for spots can only be good for the team as a whole. Push each other all the way and those that can't cut it fall away. From the outside looking in the camaraderie between the group looks the best it's been for years (in Buckley's tenure anyway). There seems to be a genuine care for each other; players and coaches alike. Senior players taking a reported voluntary pay cut to get Beams in and player signing on for reported unders (Langdon/Moore etc) a good sign for me. Can't see that changing anytime soon.

If this Buckley break thing works I'd expect other clubs to follow suit in years to come. I like that we are trying something different. Maybe it will work, maybe it wont. We won't die wondering at least.
I get what you mean but it's technically not a pay cut. They'll be getting the same money overall but it'll just be stretched out over an extra year or so.

Not fussed about Buckley’s break, we have excellent line coaches that any one of them could be a head coach in their own right.
As for training hard on the track doing one vs one and bringing the footballs out early, it’s what happened last preseason.
If we go one better than than last season who cares.

I hope it works, because it’s not a time to be experimenting - not when arguably we are serious contenders for 2019.

But Bucks’ longish break is absolutely deserving, and evidence of the continuing evolution of the more relaxed coach.

Competition for spots in 2019 will be at an all time high for us.
It's a tough, brutal and demanding game that requires each individual to be at their very best almost 100% of the time otherwise there's someone waiting to take over and do it.

The club is in a happy place so I don't have any reservations of the the apple cart being upset- particularly with the bonds formed in recent times and you can look as far as players re-structuring salaries to fit Beams in.

The demands of the game and performances are only going to intensify as the years roll on not just at Collingwood- industry wide.

Competition for spots in 2019 will be at an all time high for us.
It's a tough, brutal and demanding game that requires each individual to be at their very best almost 100% of the time otherwise there's someone waiting to take over and do it.

The club is in a happy place so I don't have any reservations of the the apple cart being upset- particularly with the bonds formed in recent times and you can look as far as players re-structuring salaries to fit Beams in.

The demands of the game and performances are only going to intensify as the years roll on not just at Collingwood- industry wide.
That’s correct.
Using say the defending players as an example.
Look at the competition, it’s going to be cut throat:

Scharenberg, Dunn, Landon, Howe, Moore, Crisp, Maynard
Appelby, Kelly, Murray*, Quaynor, Reid, Goldsack, Madgen, Murphy.

That’s 15 players really competing for say 7 spots, 6 on field 1 interchange.

(And ofcourse you could throw in players in this group if required including:
Varcoe, Roughead, Greenwood, Aish, Mihocek.)

That’s a whole lot of competition.
Great problem to have.

* Marsh maybe to replace Murray, the verdict if it arrives...

That’s correct.
Using say the defending players as an example.
Look at the competition, it’s going to be cut throat:

Scharenberg, Dunn, Landon, Howe, Moore, Crisp, Maynard
Appelby, Kelly, Murray*, Quaynor, Reid, Goldsack, Madgen, Murphy.

That’s 15 players really competing for say 7 spots, 6 on field 1 interchange.

(And ofcourse you could throw in players in this group if required including:
Varcoe, Roughead, Greenwood, Aish, Mihocek.)

That’s a whole lot of competition.
Great problem to have.

* Marsh maybe to replace Murray, the verdict if it arrives...

Midfield will be a hot area of the ground too. For e.g. Aish, Varcoe and Greenwood could be part of that group too.

Midfield will be a hot area of the ground too. For e.g. Aish, Varcoe and Greenwood could be part of that group too.
Yes correct.

I get what you mean but it's technically not a pay cut. They'll be getting the same money overall but it'll just be stretched out over an extra year or so.

Actually, technically it is. Realistically, they'd only be dropping a small proportion per year and they'd be adding extra to the pool to garner the additional year. Likely gone from (just as an example without having any actual idea of their salaries) $1.8m over 3 years to $2m or $2.1m or $2.2m over 4 with the reductions from Y1-3 being consolidated and augmented for Y4.

How did the s-l300.jpg go in the 2km time trial?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Good to see Bucks and most of the list out there today; especially Billy and Darcy. Agree with others the intensity looked pretty strong.

Anyone know who the kid with the dark hair was in the time trial (about 26 sec into clip behind Stepho)? I thought it might have been Appleby but on second watch I'm not so sure. Also makes an appearance over Beams left shoulder at 37 seconds in.

Have we sought permission for anyone to train with us? Could it have been an AIS kid for next year?

They said exactly the same last year concerning the pitting of individuals against direct competitors for their position.

Yeah all good i just listened to his full comments in video interview nothing to see here, think hes doing a good job from outside looking in. Tailored programs starting this year for each individual I am a big fan of this too.

Good to see Bucks and most of the list out there today; especially Billy and Darcy. Agree with others the intensity looked pretty strong.

Anyone know who the kid with the dark hair was in the time trial (about 26 sec into clip behind Stepho)? I thought it might have been Appleby but on second watch I'm not so sure. Also makes an appearance over Beams left shoulder at 37 seconds in.

Have we sought permission for anyone to train with us? Could it have been an AIS kid for next year?
I've been trying to identify two players including the shorter one with dark hair from my video of the time trial. Even put it up on the TV and still couldn't identify them. I just listed them as 'unknown'.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back