Pre-Season Training 2018-19

Remove this Banner Ad

jonbe54

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 18, 2009
Rural paradise
AFL Club
Collingwood
The back line was decimated and we had all of Pendles, DeGoo and Treloar at well below par physically.

West coast pushed and tunneled Cox all day and were allowed to get away with it.

But let's not lose sight of the fact that it was damn near a miracle that we even made the gf.

The team was not physically or mentally mature enough to get that last 5% result - end of story.

Blaming the umpires is a cop out - we had been beating good sides all year with even worse umpiring.

But blaming players or coaching staff is also a cop out (and in my opinion a far worse one) - those kids achieved miracles and were supported by a rejuvenated and united coaching and support staff.

Peace brothers - we almost achieved the impossible, lay the blame where it merits.

Youth and luck - both play a role in every final.

Rioli gets pinged for blocking Maynard and we win. Simple as that. I hate the feeling of having a flag stolen from us by umpires, and I know other stuff happened, but if that was judged correctly.......

They should have won by 3 goals in the end we were hanging on for dear life and they missed some absolute easy goals.

I was away from BF for a bit so didnt get a chance to reply but i respectfully disagree.

Anzac day/queens bday etc are huge games in terms of crowd numbers yes, but the ramifications are no where near as big. You lose yes it sucks and frustrating but the granny is literally the last game of the year, if you lose there is no redemption the week after. The pressure if huge.

I was at the game and in the last quarter i cant even count how many times we had the ball in defence and just bombed it out straight to Barrass/McGovern/Hurn etc. Where as normally we would be composed, run in numbers. I dunno i hate banging on about it because it still hurts but yeah, just my opinion.

So you think we Cracked under Pressure then Stoods ?

The umpires didnt cost us the game?

Darling doesnt muck up and we lose by 2.

If they didnt miss all their last qtr set shots we lose by 2-3 goals.

In my opinion for 3 qtrs we were outplayed. And in the end we did let it slip, but by no means does it mean it was an undeserving victory for west coast. In my opinion if we won, we would of stolen it. Yes we got a 5 goal lead and some decisions went against us but a lot went for us and ultimately not capitalizing on our opportunities cost us.

100% Agree. Eagles where the Better team in the GF and could of easily won by a lot more then they should. They Played better for us for about 3 Qtrs and you don't win GF with Playing just 1 Qtr.

Though I felt Eagles had lady luck on there side. Got just about all the Bounces and 50/50 Calls

I’m not saying we didn’t execute the game plan as well as we could’ve, I’m more generally speaking in reference to your quote “the inability to perform on a big stage” isn’t necessarily true as I pointed out previously.

The inability was to adapt to West Coast’s structure and create scoring opportunities.

Melbourne had same Problem as they took Gawn impact away in PF then Took Grundy's Impact in the GF. 2 Very Important Players

They should have won by 3 goals in the end we were hanging on for dear life and they missed some absolute easy goals.
Should have could have would have. Player skill errors happen on both sides, and I’ll accept a win if the other teams skills aren’t up to it on the day, just as I’ll accept a loss if ours aren’t up to it. It’s when umpire intervention (or lack of it if it’s a glaring infringement) happens when the game is in the balance and potentially changes the result that I find unpallatable.

If it makes you feel better by saying ‘oh they should have won by more but they were s**t in front of goal’ then great, but it doesn’t take the bad taste from my mouth.

Should have could have would have. Player skill errors happen on both sides, and I’ll accept a win if the other teams skills aren’t up to it on the day, just as I’ll accept a loss if ours aren’t up to it. It’s when umpire intervention (or lack of it if it’s a glaring infringement) happens when the game is in the balance and potentially changes the result that I find unpallatable.

If it makes you feel better by saying ‘oh they should have won by more but they were s**t in front of goal’ then great, but it doesn’t take the bad taste from my mouth.

So you see where I came from with the nickname for the Umps as Scumps

Nothing will ever make me feel better about that day, I'm still shattered and have been to every GF since 2001.

Kappa

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 7, 2014
AFL Club
Collingwood

What about the umpire decisions that stopped West Coast goals or gave us goals earlier in the game?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Didn’t the umpire boss review the decision not to pay the free and was happy with the call? I don’t think it’s as clear cut as some people are making it out to be...

I Don't blame the umps for us losing but that was a free 99/100 We just happened to be that 1/100 that it wasn't.

What about the umpire decisions that stopped West Coast goals or gave us goals earlier in the game?
Which ones? Aside from that, I did specifically say when the game was in the balance.
Didn’t the umpire boss review the decision not to pay the free and was happy with the call? I don’t think it’s as clear cut as some people are making it out to be...
The umpire boss 99/100 times will always take the side of an umpires call, especially if it’s controversial in an important game. You’re kidding yourself if you think the AFL would ever come out and admit one of their officials f****d up a call that could have changed the result of a grand final.

Saintly Viewed

30k Posts 10k Posts Collingwood - Tyler Brown Player Sponsor 2020 Collingwood Magpies - Brayden Sier 2019 Player Sponsor Collingwood - Jaidyn Stephenson Player Sponsor 2018 Collingwood Board Goal Kicking Tip Comp Collingwood - Matthew Scharenberg Player Sponsor 2017 Shiny Penny
Aug 10, 2015
AFL Club
Collingwood
Apex36 you are 100% correct;
No way the AFL would announce bad call in crucial game - just wouldn’t happen especially if it’s interpretation.

DERKADERRR

All Australian
Feb 20, 2013
AFL Club
Collingwood
I was more annoyed by the lack of free kick for Josh Thomas when he was held from running onto the ball in our forward 50, and the McGovern non call when he was obviously caught holding the ball. But lets be honest, Jeremy Howe was caught holding the ball in the last minute and they didn't pay that. I think the umpiring was just pretty damn poor for both sides. Although I will say that the umps gave Grundy no help in the ruck even though in a lot of contests he was being obviously held.

Apex36 you are 100% correct;
No way the AFL would announce bad call in crucial game - just wouldn’t happen especially if it’s interpretation.

I also agree with apex and Saintly Viewed would never come out an admit they got a Massive Call Wrong as it would make the Integrity of the Grand Final be very Dodgy saying the AFL would Agree we got Screwed by the Scumps(Yet Again)

I was more annoyed by the lack of free kick for Josh Thomas when he was held from running onto the ball in our forward 50, and the McGovern non call when he was obviously caught holding the ball. But lets be honest, Jeremy Howe was caught holding the ball in the last minute and they didn't pay that. I think the umpiring was just pretty damn poor for both sides. Although I will say that the umps gave Grundy no help in the ruck even though in a lot of contests he was being obviously held.

What about Cox getting Stuffed when he was kept being Blocked

jackcass

Cancelled
10k Posts Magpie Service Medal Collingwood - Josh Daicos Player Sponsor 2021 Collingwood - Tyler Brown Player Sponsor 2020 Collingwood Magpies AFLW - Sarah Rowe Player Sponsor 2019
Oct 8, 2007
Bendigo
AFL Club
Collingwood
We won games on Anzac Day, Queens Birthday and two finals. We weren’t disgraced by WCE in either losing final. As far as I’m concerned we succeeded on 4 of the 6 biggest stages we found ourselves in. Don’t think there’s an inability to deal with pressure at all.

In fact, you could argue our ability to manage pressure overcame list deficiencies across the season.

Saintly Viewed

30k Posts 10k Posts Collingwood - Tyler Brown Player Sponsor 2020 Collingwood Magpies - Brayden Sier 2019 Player Sponsor Collingwood - Jaidyn Stephenson Player Sponsor 2018 Collingwood Board Goal Kicking Tip Comp Collingwood - Matthew Scharenberg Player Sponsor 2017 Shiny Penny
Aug 10, 2015
AFL Club
Collingwood
In fact, you could argue our ability to manage pressure overcame list deficiencies across the season.
That might be the most succinct summation, yet put.

Sep 19, 2011
Zeta Reticuli
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Victory
Rioli gets pinged for blocking Maynard and we win. Simple as that. I hate the feeling of having a flag stolen from us by umpires, and I know other stuff happened, but if that was judged correctly.......

Further to this, can't help but think the soft goal by Vardy from a centre free kick straight after JDG goal really killed us.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Sep 19, 2011
Zeta Reticuli
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Victory
Ahhhh how I love BigFooty - take a break and come back into the New Year and we are still deconstructing our loss to last years GF

BigFooty the gift that just keeps giving.

What were you expecting.

Scores? Training reports? Scandle? What?

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Remove this Banner Ad

Back