Pre-Season Training 2018-19

Remove this Banner Ad

Saintly Viewed

30k Posts 10k Posts Collingwood - Tyler Brown Player Sponsor 2020 Collingwood Magpies - Brayden Sier 2019 Player Sponsor Collingwood - Jaidyn Stephenson Player Sponsor 2018 Collingwood Board Goal Kicking Tip Comp Collingwood - Matthew Scharenberg Player Sponsor 2017 Shiny Penny
Aug 10, 2015
AFL Club
Collingwood
Or have a Good Value in a Trade involving Wills
Not sure we’d get much for him at all.
He’s depth if nothing else.

I’d think if this season we don’t see him much he’d be let go. Ofcourse if there’s quite a few retirements he could squeeze another year.
As he’d be rock bottom price.

Really if he’s healthy it will be up to him to work his way in and play well to stay there.

Last edited:
May 27, 2008
Wherever I May Roam
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Socceroos, Melbourne Victory
And that’s exactly what we want to see.

High level competition for spots. Let the best 22 prevail.

Wills can earn it, pity his injuries have cruelled him.

I think more than anything Wills is held back by a lack of leg speed, which means he struggles to defend on the spread, or transition offensively. That is unlikely to change. The emergence of Sier and recruitment of Beams leaves him out in the cold when coupled with the above.

Saintly Viewed

30k Posts 10k Posts Collingwood - Tyler Brown Player Sponsor 2020 Collingwood Magpies - Brayden Sier 2019 Player Sponsor Collingwood - Jaidyn Stephenson Player Sponsor 2018 Collingwood Board Goal Kicking Tip Comp Collingwood - Matthew Scharenberg Player Sponsor 2017 Shiny Penny
Aug 10, 2015
AFL Club
Collingwood
I think more than anything Wills is held back by a lack of leg speed, which means he struggles to defend on the spread, or transition offensively. That is unlikely to change. The emergence of Sier and recruitment of Beams leaves him out in the cold when coupled with the above.
And you’re probably right.
I’d not be staking high chips in him making it; but whilst he’s on the list he does add depth and he does have the opportunity availed to him like all players.

Last edited:
Has anyone got any mail on how Jamie Elliott returned after the break. How is his hammy?
Seems okay. They have limited his program, but first session back on Wed he went alright. He didn't do everything the others were doing, but he did participate. He is now up on the gold coast with the group who flew up early.

Makes sense. A group of friends can have a bit of extra free time before the camp regimentation begins.
Yeah, they went to play some gold last night. So probably just some time to enjoy the scenery before their work begins. During the season in away games, there is usually a group that heads up a day or two earlier than the rest.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Kappa

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 7, 2014
AFL Club
Collingwood

A lack of leg speed, a lack of talent and a lack of versatility... apart from that he's a gem.

May 27, 2008
Wherever I May Roam
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Socceroos, Melbourne Victory
A lack of leg speed, a lack of talent and a lack of versatility... apart from that he's a gem.

Lack of versatility doesn't help. I'd argue he has talent. His game in the VFL against Carlton was the most dominant performance i've seen at that level. He is a very good clearance player and is very good defensively inside the contest. I think he struggles at the next level when it gets outside the contest unfortunately.

I wonder if he'd benefit from being paired with Mayne this pre-season. Mayne lacks leg speed but is one of our best in transition. If he could sort that area of his game he would be a much bigger selection threat.

jackcass

Cancelled
10k Posts Magpie Service Medal Collingwood - Josh Daicos Player Sponsor 2021 Collingwood - Tyler Brown Player Sponsor 2020 Collingwood Magpies AFLW - Sarah Rowe Player Sponsor 2019
Oct 8, 2007
Bendigo
AFL Club
Collingwood
Lack of versatility doesn't help. I'd argue he has talent. His game in the VFL against Carlton was the most dominant performance i've seen at that level. He is a very good clearance player and is very good defensively inside the contest. I think he struggles at the next level when it gets outside the contest unfortunately.

I wonder if he'd benefit from being paired with Mayne this pre-season. Mayne lacks leg speed but is one of our best in transition. If he could sort that area of his game he would be a much bigger selection threat.

His issue is opportunity. I think if he got a continuous go at it he'd show himself to be a very useful inside mid at senior level. But he's unlikely to get that chance when you've got players like Adams, Beams and Pendles ahead of him as clearance players, and a few like Pendles, Phillips, Mayne and Sidey already in the team who also lack leg speed.

surfer1

Premiership Player
Aug 8, 2006
coogee
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
parramatta
And you’re probably right.
I’d not be staking high chips in him making it; but whilst he’s on the list he does add depth and he does have the opportunity availed to him like all players.
Just on this do you know per year how many games VFL or AFL he has played since he was drafted. I think if it's 30 we would be lucky

Saintly Viewed

Aug 10, 2015
AFL Club
Collingwood
Just on this do you know per year how many games VFL or AFL he has played since he was drafted. I think if it's 30 we would be lucky
Not many would be my best guess.

Getting on the field always helps.

jackcass

Cancelled
10k Posts Magpie Service Medal Collingwood - Josh Daicos Player Sponsor 2021 Collingwood - Tyler Brown Player Sponsor 2020 Collingwood Magpies AFLW - Sarah Rowe Player Sponsor 2019
Oct 8, 2007
Bendigo
AFL Club
Collingwood

2015 - 6 VFL games (as 23rd player)
2016 - 13 VFL games, 5 AFL games
2017 - 7 VFL games, 1 AFL game
2018 - 12 VFL games

So that's about 44 combined games, 38 since drafted.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back