Pre-Season Training 2018-19

Remove this Banner Ad

Being able to run all day is a tool.

Nothing about Swanny screamed elite. He just was.

Not saying Phillips will become elite, but his development so far has been well above expectations. Let's hope it continues.
Don't be fooled by the waddle, Swanny was physically elite - super strong, explosive first few steps and the recovery to go again and again and again.

Edit. Having said that, I think Phillips can become a star.

Kappa

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 7, 2014
AFL Club
Collingwood
I doubt that many really rate him anymore. He could have been picked during the final's series but was overlooked despite lacking tall defenders. He will be depth at best. I'd almost be prepared to bet a naked run around the Holden center against Reid getting a game ahead of Mihochek.

Legendstatus has him as a certain round 1 starter..

So in Beam, Roughead,

Out Goldsack and maybe Aish?
Add in Elliott and Moore who are also clear best 22. Dunn May be ready round 1 also. Few different permutations possible.

I doubt that many really rate him anymore. He could have been picked during the final's series but was overlooked despite lacking tall defenders. He will be depth at best. I'd almost be prepared to bet a naked run around the Holden center against Reid getting a game ahead of Mihochek.

While I also have doubts Reid will get back we don’t really know for sure what his level is now after getting in a full pre season. His best was certainly good enough in the past and plenty of players have returned to good form after a number of seasons damaged by injury. He is a possible best 22 for mine.

Gaben

Premiership Player
Jun 12, 2012
AFL Club
Collingwood

Not saying Phillips will become elite, but his development so far has been well above expectations. Let's hope it continues.

I didn't say he didn't have any elite tools, just that he didn't have the tools to be elite. He is obviously an elite runner.

And I strongly disagree with the Swan comment, he had multiple attributes that screamed elite. He was a natural elite ball winner, had an elite ability to break away from congestion, elite vision and composure etc - Phillips has none of those things (even though he does get a lot of possessions, he isn't an elite ball winner and won't ever be).
Phillips relies way too heavily on not being closely checked and that's something that will never change.

Jul 25, 2008
The Linc
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Oakland Raiders
To be fair, I reckon more people would care about ours or Melbourne's AFL side having a practice match than our VFL side having a proper match through the year. So not surprised they've gone and organised a stream for tomorrow.

I would actually be shocked if a Friday 10 am scratch match was a more popular stream than a mid season VFL match. Whilst the interest may be higher in the scratch match the impracticality of the time greatly limits it’s viewership.

FWIW I just don’t think the club are overly interested in providing the supporters live content. Personally in 2019 it’s unacceptable, but there isn’t enough people invested in it to make a difference. Look at it this way the people likely to be keenest on it are nuffies like us that post on forums or social media specifically about the club and what % of us are super committed to them? 50% maybe, IDK, but of the rest that number is lucky to be 5%. Basically we’re seeing opinions on it in a bubble.

Jul 25, 2008
The Linc
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Oakland Raiders
First of all thanks for taking an interest in my current & previous posts.

A fit Reid will be close to a certain starter. Cox alone for height isn’t enough, it will boil down to Reid performing though

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

I take an interest in every post of every thread I post in because I only post in threads I’m interested in. As much as it might surprise a certain band of posters on here I read more content than most on here...

Your opinion appears against the grain, but at least it has softened from him being a certain starter to near certain. Here’s to Reid getting a clean run at it 👍

jonbe54

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 18, 2009
Rural paradise
AFL Club
Collingwood
I hope for Reids sake he gets a good run at it but looking at our personnel and the fact they have been getting along fine without him gives a strong indication he is no longer an automatic selection.
He should need to force his way in through weight of performances.

Aug 17, 2018
AFL Club
Collingwood
Let's see how they line up today. We'll have some AFLX players missing (Varcoe, Pendles, Steele, Stevo) plus Howe, WHE, DeGoey at least.
Plenty of opportunity for Beams, Elliott, Quaynor, Murphy, Daicos, Roughead, Moore, Reid to make a play for Round 1. I think a few of these names will be in our Round 1 squad.
Moore is a certainty, barring injury in the meantime. Beams as well.
I think Elliott, Roughead and Quaynor are on the next line of betting.
Reid, Daicos, Murphy (not in that order) are further back for mine at this stage.
I'd be staggered if Reid gets a game in Round 1 tbh. He'd want to do something special in the JLT to force his way in. He was clearly not considered Best 22 last season.

Jun 8, 2008
Victoria
AFL Club
Collingwood
Are the boys who went to NT such as Moore and Murphy back in Melbourne and playing today? Whether we have a full strength team, mid-strength team or otherwise, I hope no one gets upset if we get a "touch up" today, likewise I hope no one gets too excited if we appear to be pumping them. I'm really just looking forward to seeing how Elliott and co go.

May 27, 2008
Wherever I May Roam
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Socceroos, Melbourne Victory
Big call in my opinion that Reid gets an early game in our forward line. Cox is locked in... bar injury. Reid like Mihocek seems good for about a goal a game, but Mihocek seems more agile and quicker and does so much more defensively inside 50 than Reid who appears listless at this stage of his career unless the ball is directly in his hands.

I'd think that most of the incumbent GF side would get first crack from rd 1-5 with the exception of Goldsack playing as a KPD now we have Roughead.

I still reckon Goldsack is a good chance of starting if Dunn doesn't get up. I don't think Goldsack gets quite so exposed with someone like Moore in the side to take the taller or better quality opponents. For example, thinking on the grand final match ups, Moore would get Kennedy and Goldsack would get Darling. That's a much more favourable outcome for us.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Pragmatic Shill

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 2, 2017
AFL Club
Collingwood
Are the boys who went to NT such as Moore and Murphy back in Melbourne and playing today? Whether we have a full strength team, mid-strength team or otherwise, I hope no one gets upset if we get a "touch up" today, likewise I hope no one gets too excited if we appear to be pumping them. I'm really just looking forward to seeing how Elliott and co go.
Yep, the NT blokes are back. Given the players we're missing through injury or AFLX I wouldn't be surprised if we get soundly beaten. Just a good chance to get some runs into those legs.

Pragmatic Shill

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 2, 2017
AFL Club
Collingwood
Let's see how they line up today. We'll have some AFLX players missing (Varcoe, Pendles, Steele, Stevo) plus Howe, WHE, DeGoey at least.
Plenty of opportunity for Beams, Elliott, Quaynor, Murphy, Daicos, Roughead, Moore, Reid to make a play for Round 1. I think a few of these names will be in our Round 1 squad.
Moore is a certainty, barring injury in the meantime. Beams as well.
I think Elliott, Roughead and Quaynor are on the next line of betting.
Reid, Daicos, Murphy (not in that order) are further back for mine at this stage.
I'd be staggered if Reid gets a game in Round 1 tbh. He'd want to do something special in the JLT to force his way in. He was clearly not considered Best 22 last season.
If Reid does not retire at the end of this year I would not be surprised if he leaves via free agency for another year of more senior time.

jackcass

Cancelled
10k Posts Magpie Service Medal Collingwood - Josh Daicos Player Sponsor 2021 Collingwood - Tyler Brown Player Sponsor 2020 Collingwood Magpies AFLW - Sarah Rowe Player Sponsor 2019
Oct 8, 2007
Bendigo
AFL Club
Collingwood

jackcass

Cancelled
10k Posts Magpie Service Medal Collingwood - Josh Daicos Player Sponsor 2021 Collingwood - Tyler Brown Player Sponsor 2020 Collingwood Magpies AFLW - Sarah Rowe Player Sponsor 2019
Oct 8, 2007
Bendigo
AFL Club
Collingwood

Phillips isn't even in the same conversation as Swanny.

CFC2010

Cancelled
10k Posts Collingwood Magpies - Brayden Sier 2019 Player Sponsor Collingwood - Jaidyn Stephenson Player Sponsor 2018 Collingwood - Matthew Scharenberg Player Sponsor 2017 Collingwood Magpies - James Aish Player Sponsor 2016
Aug 22, 2014
AFL Club
Collingwood
Phillips isn't even in the same conversation as Swanny.

Behave yourself with me in 2019...…..you have been warned..........I am pointing at you jackcass

CFC2010

Cancelled
10k Posts Collingwood Magpies - Brayden Sier 2019 Player Sponsor Collingwood - Jaidyn Stephenson Player Sponsor 2018 Collingwood - Matthew Scharenberg Player Sponsor 2017 Collingwood Magpies - James Aish Player Sponsor 2016
Aug 22, 2014
AFL Club
Collingwood
No game day thread? :p

jackcass

Cancelled
Oct 8, 2007
Bendigo
AFL Club
Collingwood
Yep, the NT blokes are back. Given the players we're missing through injury or AFLX I wouldn't be surprised if we get soundly beaten. Just a good chance to get some runs into those legs.

Melbourne likely missing just as many. I think Frisch might be their only AFLX player but they have Jones, Viney, Lever, KK, Tom Mc, May, Melksham and Hannan on their injury list and probably a few others who have only recently resumed full training. Be a good test of depth. I imagine we'll have a heap on the bench with a few players only getting a quarter or a half.

CFC2010

Cancelled
Aug 22, 2014
AFL Club
Collingwood
I'm surprised Sidey has been named, doesn't he have an AFLX game tonight?

Looks like he is on the bench...…...I am surprised no Grundy.

Good stream by the Dees by the way.

Standing on the fence north east flank. Dunn Shaz and Broomy have good sweats with running laps.

Great to see Reid, Moore and Elliot all looking fit and ready. Saw Issac Qs 3 brothers on the hill behind me
Go Pies

Remove this Banner Ad

Back