Pre-Season Training 2018-19

Remove this Banner Ad

CFC2010

Cancelled
10k Posts Collingwood Magpies - Brayden Sier 2019 Player Sponsor Collingwood - Jaidyn Stephenson Player Sponsor 2018 Collingwood - Matthew Scharenberg Player Sponsor 2017 Collingwood Magpies - James Aish Player Sponsor 2016
Aug 22, 2014
AFL Club
Collingwood

giphyMM.gif

CFC2010

Cancelled
10k Posts Collingwood Magpies - Brayden Sier 2019 Player Sponsor Collingwood - Jaidyn Stephenson Player Sponsor 2018 Collingwood - Matthew Scharenberg Player Sponsor 2017 Collingwood Magpies - James Aish Player Sponsor 2016
Aug 22, 2014
AFL Club
Collingwood

Saintly Viewed

30k Posts 10k Posts Collingwood - Tyler Brown Player Sponsor 2020 Collingwood Magpies - Brayden Sier 2019 Player Sponsor Collingwood - Jaidyn Stephenson Player Sponsor 2018 Collingwood Board Goal Kicking Tip Comp Collingwood - Matthew Scharenberg Player Sponsor 2017 Shiny Penny
Aug 10, 2015
AFL Club
Collingwood
I'm really concerned about our lack of pace. In the videos the club has posted, everybody seems to always be moving really slowly.
Literally laughed out loud

Saintly Viewed

30k Posts 10k Posts Collingwood - Tyler Brown Player Sponsor 2020 Collingwood Magpies - Brayden Sier 2019 Player Sponsor Collingwood - Jaidyn Stephenson Player Sponsor 2018 Collingwood Board Goal Kicking Tip Comp Collingwood - Matthew Scharenberg Player Sponsor 2017 Shiny Penny
Aug 10, 2015
AFL Club
Collingwood
From Tyson Goldsack today
Herald Sun

Tyson Goldsack details how Collingwood handled its Grand Final defeat and how the Magpies will tackle 2019

FEBRUARY 28, 2019

It was the post‑game review that was two and a half months in the making.
After the heartache of losing the Grand Final narrowly to West Coast,
the Collingwood players went our separate ways during our post‑season break, and therefore dealt with the disappointment of the loss in our own way and time.
For most of us, we tried hard to forget what happened — well as best as we could anyway.

The last thing I felt like doing was re‑examining it all. But when Bucks took the first meeting in early December, he brought it all to a head.
During a group meeting he told us to go off and see our line coaches at the earliest opportunity, to work through the vision of what happened on that last Saturday in September.
Fair to say, I was a little apprehensive when I headed off to defensive coach Justin Longmuir’s office at the Holden Centre. The first question he asked of me was, “What do you think?” I literally sat there, and was like, “I don’t know”. I could remember how we lost, but as far as individual moments during that game, it was all a bit hazy.

It wasn’t until we started looking through video edits that it started to hit home. I saw certain passages and wondered if we had the chance to stop the tape and do things a little differently, could we have had a different outcome?
Perhaps.

Then again, if that happened, there would have been a counterbalance, so who knows what would have happened next?
It wasn’t an easy exercise to review the game, but, as it has turned out, it was probably the best thing the coach could have done for us.
You can’t change history, but you can learn from it, and by addressing it, we were able to reflect on things.

It was by no means a witch‑hunt; we weren’t there to lay blame on anyone.

What it did do was show we were big enough — and mature enough — to review one of the most difficult games of our lives.
I’m not naive enough to say we have completely moved on from that game. We won’t forget it, but at least from a professional standpoint, we have done everything we can to learn from what happened.
The hardest thing to realise is we are no longer one game away from winning a premiership; we have a full season ahead of us. But I have no doubt the lessons we took from that game — and that December review — will stand us in good stead as we look to go the extra step in 2019.
f8edada7bf1f36310cdc0d4af20037a5

Jordan De Goey is totally committed to Collingwood — I’m not just talking contract‑wise, but also with his connection to his teammates.
That’s been the most noticeable thing about Jordy over the past 12 months, and I’m sure it had something to do with him having his best season in his footy career.
Physically, he’s already a man, but he is still a relatively young man — he turns 23 in mid‑March — who knows he still has plenty to learn about himself.
Perhaps it’s a similar learning curve for Richmond’s Dustin Martin a few years back, and people outside both clubs have drawn comparisons between Jordy and Dusty.
And I’m not complaining — even that thought excites me.
Jordy possibly doesn’t even realise how much potential he has. That’s a very scary proposition for opposition teams this year, and hopefully for years to come.

I would never speak for him, as we’ve never discussed it, but at the start of his time at Collingwood, he was probably satisfied to be playing AFL footy.

Not anymore. You can see he wants so much more than that.
There was never any doubt he was an elite footballer, but he had a couple of flaws early on that probably prevented him from showing us his true worth.

Now, he is far more invested at Collingwood, and with the players, than he has been before.
Instead of getting in and getting out of the club, which he used to do early on, he seems happier spending more time there these days. That’s the step we have been looking for from Jordy, and it might just be the making of him as a player.
9d2f0bb186a3cb7025bbcff6d01fe33d

Bringing back Beamsy

Dayne Beams and I were premiership teammates during his first stint at Collingwood, but the fact that I am three years older meant we didn’t spend a lot of time together in those early years. Perhaps we were just at different stages of our lives.
But since Beamsy’s return — after four years with the Brisbane Lions — it’s meant I’ve become even closer to him, which has been great.
Given we both have young families now, we have a lot more in common, and I’ve really enjoyed that part of his return to Collingwood.
Footy‑wise, we couldn’t be happier to have him back.
He was probably a little “off Broadway” when he was playing in Brisbane. It’s for that reason some people probably don’t have a true appreciation of how good a footballer he is, and just how much he is going to give back to Collingwood.
Beamsy regularly gets 30 touches and kicks two or three goals a game.
There is no doubt he is one of the top 10 players in the AFL when he is at his best, and it’s unbelievable we have been able to get him back.
Not all that much has changed at Collingwood since he left — other than some personnel — so it is no wonder he has fitted back in as if he had never left.
Now, he wants to be part of something special again at Collingwood, and that sounds good to me.

9d04c277e6ea6c42a2d3255f219e63bf
THE YEAR AHEAD

I took a while to lock in a contract for 2019, but wanted to make sure I had the energy and drive to play on.
The answer ended up being an emphatic yes. Mentally I feel fresh, and physically I am in good shape.
I had a bit of a patella issue with my good knee before Christmas, but once it all cleared up, I haven’t looked back, and don’t intend to.
I’ve invested everything I can into 2019 thus far, and want to play like there is no tomorrow.
Once you start counting the days and the games, you’re not in the right head space. So I won’t be doing that.
I want to get as much out of this year as I can, and so do my teammates. And just as we did last year, we will be giving it everything we have got. So let’s roll out the 2019 season and see what happens.

Collingwood’s Tyson Goldsack has joined the Sunday Herald Sun as a regular columnist for the 2019 season.

Last edited:

Saintly Viewed

Aug 10, 2015
AFL Club
Collingwood
^ sorry folks unsure how to neat it up

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Saintly Viewed

Aug 10, 2015
AFL Club
Collingwood
JLT team (squad?) just out.

Crisp named, I assume hence he’s fit to go including round 1.

Seems both Browns, Wills, Murphy, Crocker, Quaynor all getting goes.

My understanding is the 3 games (including the recent v Melbourne game) players will rotate through to get as best practice two games each.

Fremantle v Collingwood
JLT Community Series - Week 1
Monday, March 4
Joondalup, 3.40pm WST/6.40pm AEDT

Collingwood extended squad:

James Aish, Flynn Appleby, Dayne Beams, Callum Brown, Tyler Brown, Mason Cox, Jack Crisp, Ben Crocker, Josh Daicos, Jamie Elliott, Levi Greenwood, Brodie Grundy, Tom Langdon, Max Lynch, Jack Madgen, Chris Mayne, Brody Mihocek, Darcy Moore, Nathan Murphy, Scott Pendlebury, Tom Phillips, Isaac Quaynor, Ben Reid, Jordan Roughead, Steele Sidebottom, Jaidyn Stephenson, Josh Thomas, Adam Treloar, Travis Varcoe, Rupert Wills

That's more than 26 names. I assume it will be rounded down closer to monday?

Saintly Viewed

Aug 10, 2015
AFL Club
Collingwood
That's more than 26 names. I assume it will be rounded down closer to monday?
Correct.

I think (so don’t take it to the bank) that the first JLT allows for an extended team, the next JLT there’s a couple less players still and ofcourse by season proper we have the regulation 22.

I'm really concerned about our lack of pace. In the videos the club has posted, everybody seems to always be moving really slowly.
I’m equally concerned about their pale faces. Possible anaemia, vitamin D deficiency, risk of fractures significantly elevated... sack Devinder.

From Tyson Goldsack today
Herald Sun

Tyson Goldsack details how Collingwood handled its Grand Final defeat and how the Magpies will tackle 2019

FEBRUARY 28, 2019

It was the post‑game review that was two and a half months in the making.
After the heartache of losing the Grand Final narrowly to West Coast,
the Collingwood players went our separate ways during our post‑season break, and therefore dealt with the disappointment of the loss in our own way and time.
For most of us, we tried hard to forget what happened — well as best as we could anyway.

The last thing I felt like doing was re‑examining it all. But when Bucks took the first meeting in early December, he brought it all to a head.
During a group meeting he told us to go off and see our line coaches at the earliest opportunity, to work through the vision of what happened on that last Saturday in September.
Fair to say, I was a little apprehensive when I headed off to defensive coach Justin Longmuir’s office at the Holden Centre. The first question he asked of me was, “What do you think?” I literally sat there, and was like, “I don’t know”. I could remember how we lost, but as far as individual moments during that game, it was all a bit hazy.

It wasn’t until we started looking through video edits that it started to hit home. I saw certain passages and wondered if we had the chance to stop the tape and do things a little differently, could we have had a different outcome?
Perhaps.

Then again, if that happened, there would have been a counterbalance, so who knows what would have happened next?
It wasn’t an easy exercise to review the game, but, as it has turned out, it was probably the best thing the coach could have done for us.
You can’t change history, but you can learn from it, and by addressing it, we were able to reflect on things.

It was by no means a witch‑hunt; we weren’t there to lay blame on anyone.

What it did do was show we were big enough — and mature enough — to review one of the most difficult games of our lives.
I’m not naive enough to say we have completely moved on from that game. We won’t forget it, but at least from a professional standpoint, we have done everything we can to learn from what happened.
The hardest thing to realise is we are no longer one game away from winning a premiership; we have a full season ahead of us. But I have no doubt the lessons we took from that game — and that December review — will stand us in good stead as we look to go the extra step in 2019.
f8edada7bf1f36310cdc0d4af20037a5

Jordan De Goey is totally committed to Collingwood — I’m not just talking contract‑wise, but also with his connection to his teammates.
That’s been the most noticeable thing about Jordy over the past 12 months, and I’m sure it had something to do with him having his best season in his footy career.
Physically, he’s already a man, but he is still a relatively young man — he turns 23 in mid‑March — who knows he still has plenty to learn about himself.
Perhaps it’s a similar learning curve for Richmond’s Dustin Martin a few years back, and people outside both clubs have drawn comparisons between Jordy and Dusty.
And I’m not complaining — even that thought excites me.
Jordy possibly doesn’t even realise how much potential he has. That’s a very scary proposition for opposition teams this year, and hopefully for years to come.

I would never speak for him, as we’ve never discussed it, but at the start of his time at Collingwood, he was probably satisfied to be playing AFL footy.

Not anymore. You can see he wants so much more than that.
There was never any doubt he was an elite footballer, but he had a couple of flaws early on that probably prevented him from showing us his true worth.

Now, he is far more invested at Collingwood, and with the players, than he has been before.
Instead of getting in and getting out of the club, which he used to do early on, he seems happier spending more time there these days. That’s the step we have been looking for from Jordy, and it might just be the making of him as a player.
9d2f0bb186a3cb7025bbcff6d01fe33d

Bringing back Beamsy

Dayne Beams and I were premiership teammates during his first stint at Collingwood, but the fact that I am three years older meant we didn’t spend a lot of time together in those early years. Perhaps we were just at different stages of our lives.
But since Beamsy’s return — after four years with the Brisbane Lions — it’s meant I’ve become even closer to him, which has been great.
Given we both have young families now, we have a lot more in common, and I’ve really enjoyed that part of his return to Collingwood.
Footy‑wise, we couldn’t be happier to have him back.
He was probably a little “off Broadway” when he was playing in Brisbane. It’s for that reason some people probably don’t have a true appreciation of how good a footballer he is, and just how much he is going to give back to Collingwood.
Beamsy regularly gets 30 touches and kicks two or three goals a game.
There is no doubt he is one of the top 10 players in the AFL when he is at his best, and it’s unbelievable we have been able to get him back.
Not all that much has changed at Collingwood since he left — other than some personnel — so it is no wonder he has fitted back in as if he had never left.
Now, he wants to be part of something special again at Collingwood, and that sounds good to me.

9d04c277e6ea6c42a2d3255f219e63bf
THE YEAR AHEAD

I took a while to lock in a contract for 2019, but wanted to make sure I had the energy and drive to play on.
The answer ended up being an emphatic yes. Mentally I feel fresh, and physically I am in good shape.
I had a bit of a patella issue with my good knee before Christmas, but once it all cleared up, I haven’t looked back, and don’t intend to.
I’ve invested everything I can into 2019 thus far, and want to play like there is no tomorrow.
Once you start counting the days and the games, you’re not in the right head space. So I won’t be doing that.
I want to get as much out of this year as I can, and so do my teammates. And just as we did last year, we will be giving it everything we have got. So let’s roll out the 2019 season and see what happens.

Collingwood’s Tyson Goldsack has joined the Sunday Herald Sun as a regular columnist for the 2019 season.
How did you get access to this article?

1eye

Club Legend
Jul 8, 2007
Aus
AFL Club
Collingwood
There's a scene from '300' where the Persian army arrived in their ships on the coast of Greece. The weather was horrendous re.. so a lot of their ships were getting smashed on the cliffs and s**t re.. the Spartan army were sitting on top of the cliff in raptures re.. celebrating.. going nuts as the Persians were being embraced by the loving arms of Greece herself.. the only Spartan to keep his cool.. was Leonidas.. king of Sparta.

Our king Pendles re.

Ahooooo ahooooo ahooooo.
Re....what surprises me most about this story, is there were a bunch of Greeks standing and watching in horrendous weather....I call bullshit, no Greek is standing in s**t weather messing up their hair. True re?

Saintly Viewed

Aug 10, 2015
AFL Club
Collingwood
How did you get access to this article?
You get line of article in the top search area copy it and paste into outline.com
Just ensure if wall comes up you delete the first part till you get to http etc of article.

Apr 18, 2015
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
PAOK of SALONIKA LIVERPOOL
Re....what surprises me most about this story, is there were a bunch of Greeks standing and watching in horrendous weather....I call bullshit, no Greek is standing in s**t weather messing up their hair. True re?

What makes you think flicking your hair back and forward when it's wet and that re doesn't make you look sexy.. let the beads of water drip onto your face and chest and that re.. I'd post a short vid of me doing it at Rye beach when I'm exiting the water with my mates handing me a towel.. but not one to boast about it..

jakson68

Club Legend
Jun 3, 2008
Port Noarlunga
AFL Club
Collingwood
What makes you think flicking your hair back and forward when it's wet and that re doesn't make you look sexy.. let the beads of water drip onto your face and chest and that re.. I'd post a short vid of me doing it at Rye beach when I'm exiting the water with my mates handing me a towel.. but not one to boast about it..
WOW, we really need the footy to start ASAP huh.:)

Saintly Viewed

Aug 10, 2015
AFL Club
Collingwood
Gimpy even the grey white sharks stop swimming and applaud when you emerge from the salty waters glistening in your manhood.

Young men rushing to place their face towels on your masculine sinews.

It is a sight to behold.

I’ve never been back to Rye. Once seen, gimpness in its majesty, my mere being can no longer cope, not no more.

Saintly Viewed

Aug 10, 2015
AFL Club
Collingwood

Remove this Banner Ad

Back