Training Training Reports and Updates

Remove this Banner Ad

Much prefer this pathway than a 26yo beach volleyballer
2 years older than Cox was when he came into the system,sertiously it must be at 2 yrs before Max gets a chance and then he hits 30 when most ordinary players are winding down towards the finish.

Steene I understand but the volley baller gets past me, the Dees who have taken on Grundy as ruck have at least picked Verrall as a rookie, we should at least tried to select someone in the draft I know people say they were all gone at our picks but that is not so we just never bit the bullet our mistake IMO.

2 years older than Cox was when he came into the system,sertiously it must be at 2 yrs before Max gets a chance and then he hits 30 when most ordinary players are winding down towards the finish.

Steene I understand but the volley baller gets past me, the Dees who have taken on Grundy as ruck have at least picked Verrall as a rookie, we should at least tried to select someone in the draft I know people say they were all gone at our picks but that is not so we just never bit the bullet our mistake IMO.
The volleyballer might have some favourable attributes and he does look fit enough. But age is against him. Steene looks far from the best ruck prospect we could be targeting. Much prefer Crossley or a SANFL star.

It gets raised and addressed every year. Moore used to participate in full preseasons and would always have reoccurring hamstring injuries in season proper. They decided to limit his training and the chronic injuries have stopped (touch wood). Same goes with Elliott.
Degoey actually made a comment about this in a recent podcast. People approach and give him s**t about not training like Pendles, when they have no idea about what program he is on or that he trains outside of the club.
Hopefully this is happening with Johnson too :p

It gets raised and addressed every year. Moore used to participate in full preseasons and would always have reoccurring hamstring injuries in season proper. They decided to limit his training and the chronic injuries have stopped (touch wood). Same goes with Elliott.
Degoey actually made a comment about this in a recent podcast. People approach and give him s**t about not training like Pendles, when they have no idea about what program he is on or that he trains outside of the club.
Another with a "taylored" program would be Adams - with him it's about holding him back a bit so he doesn't get as many soft tissue injuries.
Tay's commitment is beyond reproach, though.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Another with a "taylored" program would be Adams - with him it's about holding him back a bit so he doesn't get as many soft tissue injuries.
Tay's commitment is beyond reproach, though.
Yeah if you look at the dictionary for a description of "All in" it shows a picture of Tay.

Gotta love the guy - heart the size of Phar Lap.

Another training session down today, with most of the second string mids given a chance to shine, as veterans pendles, Adams, Lippa, sidey, Mitchell and Maynard all sat out, with most running laps instead.

Lots of contested stuff, with inside mids split up from forwards and backs, and all put to work in 1v1 drills. Then expanded to full team orientated stuff, with earlier lessons and techniques to be brought into reg play. Again, surprised at how much match sim they are doing already, and the players are clearly loving it. Not a light or soft session at all, with players being v physical and competitive with each other… in marking duels and tackling alike. Lot of voices again as good work is called out by other players and cheered. Eg nice long passes to leads at pace (full ground drill), with everyone taking part. Or defensive spoils from a long way back. All great to watch.

Player notes as follows…

Small defenders / forwards.
Quaynor - in beast mode now and I’ll go early and say he will be in the AA squad this year… and hopefully even more. Built like a brick shizen house, but v quick and running all day. V rarely beaten 1v1, as Noble struggled to keep up with his strength and second efforts. Drill involved 3 back to back leads to a F50 short pass, wrestling, blocking… up and back. Then rest and swap who the leading player was and who was defending.

Noble did well in full ground field play, where his quickness, mopping up and nice delivery was noticeable.

Hill - v quick again and tough to beat on a lead. Matched up against Murley, who battled hard and lasted longer in the drills. Hill v short, but along with Richards give the list a nice balance now.

Richards v Ginni. Joe quick and smart, but Ginni smart too. Joe had him for stamina, and took some nice clean grabs on the lead, whilst Ginni really puts in, and with his skills was also able to jag a few nice marks at the death of the duels.
Still like the look of Richards, and will all come down to whether he can replicate nice things in senior games, as he just looks clean, clever and reliable. Not unlike Caleb Daniel. Ruscoe also putting in the big ones v WHE. Will had him for initial pace, but Trey stronger and good with a spoil.

Inside / outside mids - Allan training with this group, which was nice to see, and held his own. Other attendees being Crisp, Macrae, Josh D, Draper, Bianco, Elliott, Carmichael.
Great drill where Fraser would tap to a 1v1 stoppage in isolation with winner of the ball to stay in and go straight against next opponent, on rotation. Hell for leather for the pill, with all keen to win. Crisp looking the goods here, winning three in a row, whilst Allan won two in a row against quality opposition - maybe Crisp and Macrae, before being shaded. Kid has some toughness, strength and smarts, as he’s clearly a bit undeveloped muscle wise vs others. Liked what I saw from Allan in the full ground stuff as well, as looked confident, racked up some uncontested touches, and hit his targets by foot. Draper busy, but he and Allan look so alike in style, they’re likely going to compete for the same role.

Carmichael getting lots of touches / first hands on the pill, but first touch letting him down still. Fumbles before gathering quite a bit. Love his kicking though. Nails long passes with ease.

Big forwards / backs - liked what I saw here as well, but hard to grade the players vs what we will be competing against, with no Darcy still.

Frampton the best defender in the house atm, with marking and kicking v good. Nailed a low 52m pass at one stage, took 1v1 marks with strength and positioning, and kept busy. Makes you wonder why other clubs have passed on him, but still not the real stuff yet.

Ash Johnson v impressive today. Marked a lot on leads, presenting multiple scoring shots, which he converted easily. Boundary line included. Has great forward craft and initial burst of speed v hard to stop. Left Kelly in his dust tbh. Also showed smarts to assist goals. Love that we have this guy.

Reef also played well again today, took some more contested marks, playing as a mobile medium forward still. Easily fills the Henry role, if required.

Murphy v quiet, and think he may struggle for a R1 spot with Frampton’s height and athleticism, and Howe still prominent.

Mihocek as reliable as ever, marking and field kicking v impressive.

Last edited:
Another training session down today, with most of the second string mids given a chance to shine, as veterans pendles, Adams, Lippa, sidey, Mitchell and Maynard all sat out, with most running laps instead.

Lots of contested stuff, with inside mids split up from forwards and backs, and all put to work in 1v1 drills. Then expanded to full team orientated stuff, with earlier lessons and techniques to be brought into reg play. Again, surprised at how much match sim they are doing already, and the players are clearly loving it. Not a light or soft session at all, with players being v physical and competitive with each other… in marking duels and tackling alike. Lot of voices again as good work is called out by other players and cheered. Eg nice long passes to leads at pace (full ground drill), with everyone taking part. Or defensive spoils from a long way back. All great to watch.

Player notes as follows…

Quaynor - in beast mode now and I’ll go early and say he will be in the AA squad this year… and hopefully even more. Built like a brick shizen house, but v quick and running all day. V rarely beaten 1v1, as Noble struggled to keep up with his strength and second efforts. Drill involved 3 back to back leads to a F50 short pass, wrestling, blocking… up and back. Then rest and swap who the leading player was and who was defending.

Noble did well in full ground field play, where his quickness, mopping up and nice delivery was noticeable.

Hill - v quick again and tough to beat on a lead. Matched up against Murley, who battled hard and lasted longer in the drills. Hill v short, but along with Richards give the list a nice balance now.

Richards v Ginni. Joe quick and smart, but Ginni smart too. Joe had him for stamina, and took some nice clean grabs on the lead, whilst Ginni really puts in, and with his skills was also able to jag a few nice marks at the death of the duels.
Still like the look of Richards, and will all come down to whether he can replicate nice things in senior games, as he just looks clean, clever and reliable. Not unlike Caleb Daniel. Ruscoe also putting in the big ones v WHE. Will had him for initial pace, but Trey stronger and good with a spoil.

Inside / outside mids - Allan training with this group, which was nice to see, and held his own. Other attendees being Crisp, Macrae, Josh D, Draper, Bianco, Elliott, Carmichael.
Great drill where Fraser would tap to a 1v1 stoppage in isolation with winner of the ball to stay in and go straight against next opponent, on rotation. Hell for leather for the pill, with all keen to win. Crisp looking the goods here, winning three in a row, whilst Allan won two in a row against quality opposition - maybe Crisp and Macrae, before being shaded. Kid has some toughness, strength and smarts, as he’s clearly a bit undeveloped muscle wise vs others. Liked what I saw from Allan in the full ground stuff as well, as looked confident, racked up some uncontested touches, and hit his targets by foot. Draper busy, but he and Allan look so alike in style, they’re likely going to compete for the same role.

Carmichael getting lots of touches / first hands in the pill, but first touch letting him down still. Fumbles before gathering quite a bit. Love his kicking though. Nails long passes with ease.

Big forwards / backs - liked what I saw here as well, but hard to grade the players vs what we will be competing against, with no Darcy still.

Frampton the best defender in the house atm, with marking and kicking v good. Nailed a low 52m pass at one stage, took 1v1 marks with strength and positioning, and kept busy. Makes you wonder why other clubs have passed on him, but still not the real stuff yet.

Ash Johnson v impressive today. Marked a lot on leads, presenting multiple scoring shots, which he converted easily. Boundary line included. Has great forward craft and initial burst of speed v hard to stop. Left Kelly in his dust tbh. Also showed smarts to assist goals. Love that we have this guy.

Reef also played well again today, took some more contested marks, playing as a mobile medium forward still. Easily fills the Henry role, if required.

Murphy v quiet, and think he may struggle for a R1 spot with Frampton’s height and athleticism, and Howe still prominent.

Great read - thanks

I’m hoping the mix of Allan / Draper / HH (my guy…) works in the middle

Yeah v much doubt Max will earn a spot. Missed a leading player by about 30m in a kicking drill today. Helicopter mung. Not sure what Derek is playing at here. Needs to get back in his car or jet and track down a decent backup for the big lads.
Will say that Begg is holding his own at training though. Played as a forward whilst Cox and Cameron fought out the ruck duels, but marked strongly and kicked truly. Has put on some more size, and looks better than last season.

Player notes as follows…

Carmichael getting lots of touches / first hands in the pill, but first touch letting him down still. Fumbles before gathering quite a bit. Love his kicking though. Nails long passes with ease.

Great analysis and insights - thanks so much. I'm rusty and can't keep up re the new recruits - who is Allan again and how did we acquire him?

Great analysis and insights - thanks so much. I'm rusty and can't keep up re the new recruits - who is Allan again and how did we acquire him?
Son of Ben (ex-Hawks and first Freo captain)
From WA
Our first pick in the national draft (was considered a slider)
193cm inside/outside mid: Fastest player in the draft over 20m
Had an interrupted year due to a back issue - linked to a growth spurt

Yeah v much doubt Max will earn a spot. Missed a leading player by about 30m in a kicking drill today. Helicopter mung. Not sure what Derek is playing at here. Needs to get back in his car or jet and track down a decent backup for the big lads.
Will say that Begg is holding his own at training though. Played as a forward whilst Cox and Cameron fought out the ruck duels, but marked strongly and kicked truly. Has put on some more size, and looks better than last season.
Yeah I thought Begg did well in training today, took some nice marks up forward; which is what we like to see. I think that will come more consistently as he gets stronger.

Player notes as follows…

Carmichael getting lots of touches / first hands on the pill, but first touch letting him down still. Fumbles before gathering quite a bit. Love his kicking though. Nails long passes with ease.

Fantastic read, thanks slicker

Remove this Banner Ad

Back