Training Training Reports and Updates

Remove this Banner Ad

So would you say it's looking increasingly likely Oscar will be our SSP pickup?
I would like to think so.

But I thought as much about Briskey, so what would I know haha. But from what I can see, Oscar is doing a lot right. Putting his best foot forward, not much more he could do than that.

Last edited:
Dean is 6’ 4”, is still young, has an average leap, and has never dominated a VFL game. And he’s your ready made Roughy replacement?
If you look at selection, you’ll see they favour more mature bodies and experienced players. I guarantee you Billy is ahead of Dean.
Wasn’t he the number 1 rated defender in the VFL before we drafted him? Just like Mihocek.

Think Beggy might have some competition on his hands. Steene's raw but can be cooked.

I have Cameron as one who could potentially slide out of the 23. Cox will keep him honest all season at the very least. I don't think Cameron has many tricks up his sleeve and is a bit one-dimensional.
Cameron’s got v good talent - he just lacks focus and intensity for large parts of games. If he can fix that aspect of his game he’d be a lock.

Oh I have no doubt the previous regime thought the same.
But IMO the new one has not made many baffling selection calls so far.
They haven’t made baffling recruiting decisions either. Frampton was recruited very specifically to fill the hole Roughy left. Having him play round 1 is as close to a lock as you can get imo, barring injury or a horrendous drop off in preseason form, which seems very unlikely.

Wasn’t he the number 1 rated defender in the VFL before we drafted him? Just like Mihocek.
No, he won the best first year player VFL award iirc. He wasn’t necessarily the number 1 defender league wide.

If Frampton is any good, he'll take the blokes who Howe was getting and Howe will replace Murphy. With Dean, Murphy and Kelly giving us excellent depth. It's shaping as a very strong group.
This may well be the way we go. I’m probably being a bit old fashioned (certainly old :)) in thinking of Frampton or Dean playing more that traditional fullback role allowing Moore to play CHF where he can use his attacking prowess to advantage.

This may well be the way we go. I’m probably being a bit old fashioned (certainly old :)) in thinking of Frampton or Dean playing more that traditional fullback role allowing Moore to play CHF where he can use his attacking prowess to advantage.
I loved Darcy's finals games on Hawkins and Buddy. Play him on the go to guy.

I loved Darcy's finals games on Hawkins and Buddy. Play him on the go to guy.
It was these games in particular that had me pining for a fullback ala Roughead which would have allowed us the flexibility to move Darcy to Cameron against Geelong. The move onto Buddy against the Swans, which changed the match, only came about when Reid went off from memory. Up until then we were struggling to cover their three talls. We’ve done particularly well with a slightly undersized backline both in 2018 and 2022 but I do wish we had a Dunne or Roughy type available for those finals rather than Goldy and Murph.

It was these games in particular that had me pining for a fullback ala Roughead which would have allowed us the flexibility to move Darcy to Cameron against Geelong. The move onto Buddy against the Swans, which changed the match, only came about when Reid went off from memory. Up until then we were struggling to cover their three talls. We’ve done particularly well with a slightly undersized backline both in 2018 and 2022 but I do wish we had a Dunne or Roughy type available for those finals rather than Goldy and Murph.
Appears McRae was thinking along similar lines. We wish Frampton, Dean and Kelly well in their development.

Would love to see Howe transition to a lockdown defender role on the second key forward. Undersized yes, but bank on Frampton and Moore zoning off. That’s Frampton’s weapon and only way he makes it, he’s not a 1 on 1 defender.

Would love to see Howe transition to a lockdown defender role on the second key forward. Undersized yes, but bank on Frampton and Moore zoning off. That’s Frampton’s weapon and only way he makes it, he’s not a 1 on 1 defender.
Howe played on the second key forward most of the year and didn’t didn’t work.

They haven’t made baffling recruiting decisions either. Frampton was recruited very specifically to fill the hole Roughy left. Having him play round 1 is as close to a lock as you can get imo, barring injury or a horrendous drop off in preseason form, which seems very unlikely.
This. Frampton, 200cm, performing well in the SANFL, mature-age prospect, costs a third rounder for established, hardly breaking the bank. In an ideal world, Adelaide would have kept him. They didn't, he's playing for Collingwood's AFL team in round one as a defender. Best available Roughie replacement.

No, he won the best first year player VFL award iirc. He wasn’t necessarily the number 1 defender league wide.
The tall intercepting defender was made to wait to get on to an AFL list, being picked up two years after his initial draft season. A stunning season for Williamstown in the VFL, where he claimed the 2021 Fothergill-Round-Mitchell Medal for the state league best under-23 performer was ultimately enough to convince club recruiters to pounce (source: Charlie Dean | AFL).

He's only 21 and younger than Richards. In my opinion, the man has shown enough to warrant being on an AFL list. He's a strong performer and should make his debut in 2023. An excellent attitude, too as shown through rehab and working his way to play AFL despite initially going undrafted.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The discussion was whether Frampton plays round 1. You used Mayne as an example and you were wrong, and actually strengthened my point in doing so.
Whether or not Mayne was a mistake is a separate discussion.
Stop trying to shift the goal posts, suck it up and accept you were wrong. Happy for you to tag me if Frampton doesn’t play round 1, bar injury.
That’s not it at all, if you’re a 5 year old with an inability to read between the lines then yeah. There is a depth to my arguments, and a nuance that perhaps I need to spell out to you next time. Losing an argument to you may happen one day, not yet buddy. So keep pestering, happy to hammer you any time.

To Jen or anyone else that has seen us in preseason training.
Chances of us keeping Oscar Steene from what you guys have seen?

To Jen or anyone else that has seen us in preseason training.
Chances of us keeping Oscar Steene from what you guys have seen?
He's been good, definitely worth the punt of a rookie spot based on what he has shown at training.

An update on Darcy Moore from the Pies' website -

"Collingwood advises key defender Darcy Moore was recently admitted to hospital with a bone infection (osteomyelitis).

The 26-year-old is now recovering at home and is not expected to be back at training until after the holiday break.

General Manager of Football Graham Wright said Darcy’s health remains paramount. “Our main priority is Darcy’s health and we will continue to support him as he recovers at home from the infection,” Wright said.

“We are grateful that this was picked up early by medical staff and as such, we are not expecting any long-term issues.”

The Club will provide an update in due course."

😥 damn, hope it's nothing serious or long-lasting

Agree to disagree on this one. When Mayne was recruited he looked like s**t all preseason and had been crap for a couple of years beforehand at Freo. Still played round 1. I expect Hill to be playing too, even though I’m unconvinced he has a spot in our current forward setup.
Bit harsh on the MayneEvent.

He was 6th in Freo's BnF the year before he joined us, and barely missed a beat.

For mine Frampton is more akin to us trading for Darcy Cameron. Unlike Mayne, not an AFL regular player.

Cameron a fringe player, a depth option who didnt play Rd1 the year we traded for him.

"Collingwood advises key defender Darcy Moore was recently admitted to hospital with a bone infection (osteomyelitis).

The 26-year-old is now recovering at home and is not expected to be back at training until after the holiday break.

General Manager of Football Graham Wright said Darcy’s health remains paramount. “Our main priority is Darcy’s health and we will continue to support him as he recovers at home from the infection,” Wright said.

“We are grateful that this was picked up early by medical staff and as such, we are not expecting any long-term issues.”

😥 damn, hope it's nothing serious or long-lasting

"Most people need surgery to remove areas of the bone that have died." :huh:

He played like that last season and is why people are writing him off, Howes best footy is as 3rd in and it makes us better too.

damn, hope it's nothing serious or long-lasting

Trust me this is serious,

I had a bout of Osteomyelitis 20 years ago in my pelvis due to a hairline fracture (stress fracture from marathon running)

It was an excruciatingly painful condition, I spent close to 3 weeks in hospital with IV infusion of multiple high strength antibiotics, and a further 6 weeks with a portable infuser at home.

Took me 3-4 months before I felt good again. Wouldn’t wish this condition on anyone.

Anyway hope Darcy only had a mild case and recovers quickly.

On iPad using BigFooty.com mobile app

Trust me this is serious,

I had a bout of Osteomyelitis 20 years ago in my pelvis due to a hairline fracture (stress fracture from marathon running)

It was an excruciatingly painful condition, I spent close to 3 weeks in hospital with IV infusion of multiple high strength antibiotics, and a further 6 weeks with a portable infuser at home.

Took me 3-4 months before I felt good again. Wouldn’t wish this condition on anyone.

Anyway hope Darcy only had a mild case and recovers quickly.

On iPad using BigFooty.com mobile app
From the club's info, it sounds like Darcy's case was picked up early and is mild and will resolve quickly.
We all hope that is the case, because he is arguably the player we can least afford to lose.

That's actually a pretty ridiculous thing to say after one field mishap. He can kick the ball at least 60m and is still learning his teammates. Lots of his other kicks hit teammates. What he is is a replacement at full back for Jordan Roughead. He marks the ball if anything better than Roughead does at full back and is a longer kick. What he doesn't have is much closing speed which is about what you'd expect from a player his size. Why Adelaide chose not to play him, you'd have to ask them. They didn't give him away. We had to trade for him. If you tried to play this guy in the forward line at AFL level I can see why you wouldn't want to do it. Players would run off him if he didn't take the ball on the lead. What he is to me the little I've seen of him is a genuine tall defender we lack since Roughead gave it away. It may take him a run of games in the AFL before it gets it, but because he has all the attributes of an AFL footballer, there's no reason he can't make it in the AFL.
I was talking about Max the volley ball player mate ,I think you got the wrong end of the stick and yes it was a mistake to ask him to training if he could not kick closer than 30 mtrs to a player who probably was only 40mtrs away (think about for a minute).

I am pleased that the young ruck from West Ade seems to be going well, just shows that are young players that can go undrafted but may have something when given a go.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back