Training Training Reports and Updates

Remove this Banner Ad

From a facebook page Side by Side report from training today by Annabelle GG

An unclouded powder blue sky provided ideal conditions for Wednesday’s training. The tennis hordes had disappeared but detritus in the form of discarded lime scooters ringed the arena. There appeared to be a reasonable media contingent, complete with long-lensed camera at the ground long before nine which suggested that there could be a story brewing but some of these media troops trained their eyes and equipment on the action after a delayed start, perhaps due to an announcement which filtered through later in the day. As usual the apparatus was scattered around the venue with camera places strategically to film proceedings well before the players started filing out. Joey Richards entered the arena first, closely followed by precocious Nick who’s always bursting at the seams with energy.

The infirmary today was largely confined to Kreuger and Wilson who walked laps of the oval because Beau, Moore and Macrae while not yet training in top gear joined a lot of the main action. Begg and Noble were missing from action, while Darcy Cameron who completed most of the session and looked in fine fettle, appeared to suffer an injury and he was not seen during the match simulation near the end which was the most vigorous of all the competitive routines.

After the leisurely kick to kick routine which was the players’ gentle warm-up, the session proper began. One suggests there might have been some limbering up inside the rooms as the exercises aimed at preparing the group for more intense activities were not protracted today.

Many of the players had switched numbers or were numberless which makes identifying those training more difficult. One wonders if it’s part of games played or some like travelling in cognito. Reef, pale-skinned Murphy and Adams had liberally daubed the zinc cream across their faces, while JDG again donned the blue hat which didn’t preclude him from match simulation and contested work, so it must be a fashion choice. Trey, Frampton and Jamie again wore the fluro coloured orange and pin shades on their feet and this flamboyance is a great aid in the player watch stakes.

The long whistle always signals the beginning of formal training or a change in activities, and after the first shrill call to action, the players assembled in two groups. One was stationed at the Rod Laver Arena end and worked between cones while kicking precisely to position in a crisp and efficient manner. The other group working on the outer side wing were running backwards and forwards to large stick figures of men with celerity and they then focussed on moving around these objects, testing their agility and quickness of foot. There was lots of encouragement and affirmation expressed by all as the positive vocal vibes reverberated around the arena and could be heard by the handful of fans in the propinquity. Both groups then swapped so worked in the second station to ensure that they all went through their paces in both activities. The explicitness and clarity of the instructions was impressive, and all players quickly grasped the objectives and methodology of the tasks. It was drummed into the guys that they had to approach their work with aggression. The words aggression and aggressive were belted out ad nauseam which underscores how the intensity of these sessions is rising. Many carried footies while negotiating the obstacles.

Following this both groups combined and there were some short sharp shuttle runs with distance increasing incrementally for a short period of time. This was designed to work on the players’ capacity to complete quick burst running which simulates key match day imperatives. They were also retrieving ground balls and quickly recovering which tested their muscles and football skills After this brief, exacting task, there was a lot of high fiving among the group.

Both Macrae and Moore fully participated in this and the latter in the contesting work which followed with groups of about eight competing for aerial balls at either end of the ground. Macrae instead became the sharking option for the ruck duels between Cox, Steene and Cameron who worked assiduously on this task for quite some time. While Oscar, competing with shin guard was shaded by the other pair, did not look out of his depth. He has a reasonable leap and knows how to use his body. Macrae was often the recipient of neat taps and he then would run goalwards and kick the ball. Cox seems to be relishing this summer with the group now shorn of Grundy. Perhaps he senses he now has ownership of a position and he mixes his tap outs with a tendency to give the ball a bit of a thump at times, something which is important in the sense that an assorted bag of tricks will keep the opposition guessing. How we could have done with this in the fateful preliminary final when Grundy’s modus operandi did not deviate from his target – the turf below his feet. Oscar would be unlucky to be overlooked for the supplementary selection based on his showing during pre-season and on a needs basis, as an extra ruck would seem to be a more urgent consideration than Markov whose positional strengths seem less defined.

There were then activities which seemed directed to players’ likely areas of the ground in match play. Smaller players competed against each other, with the bigger bodies continuing contesting work. Was impressed with Hill who worked in a threesome which included Nick and his speed, skill and even competitive intent were noticeable. The bigger men who competed aerially were vying for marks, but sometimes one on one were able to punch the ball away if they were defending.

One group at the river end of the ground worked for quite a while at goal-kicking, with some enjoying the chance to practise snaps and dribble goals. Was taken by Ash’s skill in this area and these were predominantly those one expects to see occupying the forward zone during the season proper.

Bolton is certainly the most voluble and discernibly vocal of all the coaches and his instructions are always clear, as is his displeasure at egregious errors.

Next on the menu was a whole ground activity which is designed to hone our ball movement methods and skill applications and the overall performance in this drill was patchy. There were two overlapping groups who would move the ball forward with the player at the end of the chain drilling the goals at both ends. There were quick handballs fired out to players who would then be instructed to kick long to player free on the wing. It was instructed that the ball would be placed forward of the runner so that he could grasp it quickly and motor towards goal. Nonetheless there was a lot of errant kicking and some players, including Pendles fluffed easy marks. Great Scott spilling a mark was almost a moment for a photograph to be taken to show that the enduring legend can be human. Hill again impressed here, and McStay continues to look smooth, solid and reliable. His hands are sticky and he immediately spins around to effect his next movement with a graceful air. Maybe he will silence some of those who were a bit agnostic regarding his recruiting. Thus overall while sloppy at times there were some moments when the drill went with military precision and players remembered their cues.

After this there was the final match simulation which was followed by a drill involving sticks which one had to move adroitly around and then polish ball skills. Agility was also being worked on. There was also an activity in which the smaller and running players mainly participated. They had to lie on the ground until commanded to rise, run and then retrieve balls, tackle and lay off. A few other worked in a group with the focus on tackling and dishing off.

In the match simulation, Nick while making the odd mistake which drew shocked gasps from those assembled in the bleachers, was ubiquitous. Not only does he possess rare and precise skills, but he has immense footy nous and the capacity to know where the ball is or is going most of the time. He is also devilishly elusive. Cox marked well. Jamie and Ash also took pack marks deep in the forward line and converted truly. Kelly, or Wilbur, the players’ moniker for him moved well and Dean was solid. It looks also like Mitchell and Adams’ work might be complementary and add a different dimension to our centre square set-up. This could release JDG to split his time between the forward line and the middle. Nick also appears destined for more midfield minutes, while Sidey is still roaming around the wing and sometimes floating forward. WHE seems to be playing in defence much of the time.

While McCreery worked one on one with a trainer at times with some intensive aerobic and agility work, he completed many of the drills.

The heartening thing about today’s session is that, Cameron apart, we got through unscathed as there appear to be quite a few players around the league sustaining injuries during these training blocks. Additionally those who were looking a fair way behind in their preparation in the infirmatory just weeks ago and now transitioning well into full training.

Dean’s thumb no longer seems a concern and he completed the whole session unencumbered. Macrae who was walking gingerly not so long ago, also participated in most of today’s training. His hands are good and he was firing out long accurate handballs during the whole ground ball movement segment. The new minted captain Moore has also made great strides. He was part of most of the drills and did contesting work. At one point he ran an activity kicking the ball to the competing players as they tested their aerial skills. His ball skills looked a tad rusty at first but improved markedly and he’s moving very well.

Begg appears to have had an indifferent pre-season from what I’ve observed and it’s hard to know what’s ailing him. Wilson evidently felt tightness at training during Monday’s training and was taking it easy today. Maynard who’s been added to the leadership group which is great to see is still adorned with shoulder bandages but his strong tackling was on display in some drills and the match sim.

I love Annabelle’s description of Nicky D as ‘devilishly elusive’. Will bank that and bring it out during the season when you can all admire it as a VP ‘original’.

I know some posters have had a bit of fun with Annabelle’s colourful way with words. All very affectionate I’m sure, as her reports (when reproduced here) are much appreciated. As are Jen’s.

Season can’t come soon enough.😍

Yes the rucks are massively overrated. The Fly knows this.
Ruckmen are only good if they can kick 2 or 3 resting up forward.
Taps go all over the place and the best midfielders usually get the ball.
Unless you're Polly Farmer
Or a pre-injury Peter Daicos.

Peter was an astonishing small forward but before he got injury issues and was moved forward he was an eye popping, jaw dropping pivot man.

I've stood in the outer and watched him tear midfields - indeed entire sides - apart.

They were cut from much the same cloth - breakthrough talents that led the way forward for football.

Peter was an astonishing small forward but before he got injury issues and was moved forward he was an eye popping, jaw dropping pivot man.

I've stood in the outer and watched him tear midfields - indeed entire sides - apart.

They were cut from much the same cloth - breakthrough talents that led the way forward for football.

I know you enjoy reminiscing Jonbe, while I try to avoid it.

But I too stood in the outer and watched the Marvel, and my clearest memories are the fear that he generated in the opposition. The look of absolute terror on his opponent’s face. I loved it.

And I’m starting to think that his youngest son will have the same effect.

There is always a solution , should Cameron not get up , we will have it covered , be it Cox rucking with a chop out from McStay. or they go left field and use Frampton as back up ruck , the ruck position is so overrated when it comes to tap outs , as long as they clunk a few marks around the ground and hold their opponent to account , all will be well 🌈
I’m less concerned about the ruck and more concerned about how it affects the forwardline

What is with your obsession towards Steene? He's 19 years old, he's not going to be going too well as a primary ruck.

On SM-G981B using BigFooty.com mobile app
Takes me back to the Ceglar days, I think TD had him listed as an 'in' every week in the team changes threads.

Yes the rucks are massively overrated. The Fly knows this.
Ruckmen are only good if they can kick 2 or 3 resting up forward.
Taps go all over the place and the best midfielders usually get the ball.
Unless you're Polly Farmer
Do they even try to palm a ball anymore?? Seems to be a spillage, or a punch, or a tap. A well timed palm was very effective - like in badminton, you had several options.

Played Mordialloc one day and gave the boys ‘silver service’. Goal after goal.

Last edited:

But I too stood in the outer and watched the Marvel, and my clearest memories are the fear that he generated in the opposition. The look of absolute terror on his opponent’s face. I loved it.

Yes, VP. They'll start trying to second guess Nick.
Bottom line is that they will have no chance - he's just too good.

Yes VP us older ones were privileged to live in a time of giants - immense individual talents unfettered by the team first ethos.

I've seen coaches quite literally snatching their hair out in intense f

He was something else. My all time favorite.

Do they even try to palm a ball anymore?? Seems to be a spillage, or a punch, or a tap. A well timed palm was very effective - like in badminton, you had several options.

Played Mordialloc one day and gave the boys ‘silver service’. Goal after goal.

It’s more that the midfield setups are so good that ruck taps are nullified.

There is always a solution , should Cameron not get up , we will have it covered , be it Cox rucking with a chop out from McStay. or they go left field and use Frampton as back up ruck , the ruck position is so overrated when it comes to tap outs , as long as they clunk a few marks around the ground and hold their opponent to account , all will be well 🌈

You’re right, it’s almost as if we’d be better with a clearance beast ruck who can also play as an extra midfielder. If only we could find one of them….

Because McStay was recruited to be a forward. Unless you think he was an upgrade on Grundy in the ruck.

my point is there is no good solution to an injured Cameron - except maybe Cox.
I was referring to you rightly or wrongly shitting on Begg then acknowledging he won’t play… Cox will be the number 1 if Cameron misses and for mine one ruck is a better set up than we’re likely to take into Rd 1 when Cameron inevitably proves his fitness.

Rucking Cox off the bench was a work around for our poor stoppage game and with the inclusion of Mitchell it’s a backward step. The only challenge the Cameron setback presents in my mind is in relation to Kreuger’s injury because a Cameron/ Cox and Kreuger combination would have been the goal at least early season while the grounds are dry, but we may now need to turn to Johnson or McStay instead.

How many 19 year olds play primary ruck at AFL level?

No point having 2 project rucks on the list… when there are big body, ready to play, mature age DFA and state league options
Steene has rucked in the SANFL against men. It would be a baptism of fire but he could potentially do it. Winning the tap is less important; it's the clearance that counts.

Cox is a decent ruckman now that he can see properly - an important part for any player. But it does make you wonder why they traded Grundy and didn't bring in another mature ager for a low cost.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I don't agree that rucks don't matter much any more. A really good one, like Gawn or Grundy can control a game. It may be only a few games a year that this occurs in, but it matters. A really poor one and any team is in dire straits. Collingwood have never willingly gone down the undersized second ruck path, so I think that tells us that this is what the coaches think too.
Cox and Cameron are both effective on the forward line, and ideally they are both in the team. They both mark well around the ground, and are at least competitive if not actually controlling in the ruck. Both have good mobility for their height. Just one of them leaves a gap that we can't really fill with Kreuger out for the forseeable future. I would really rather that we didn't have to drag McStay into it. The matchups at training, and the drills that McStay is sent to (according to the reports I have read here, because I haven't seen any training) suggest that that is the way the team is preparing.

From a facebook page Side by Side report from training today by Annabelle GG

An unclouded powder blue sky provided ideal conditions for Wednesday’s training. The tennis hordes had disappeared but detritus in the form of discarded lime scooters ringed the arena. There appeared to be a reasonable media contingent, complete with long-lensed camera at the ground long before nine which suggested that there could be a story brewing but some of these media troops trained their eyes and equipment on the action after a delayed start, perhaps due to an announcement which filtered through later in the day. As usual the apparatus was scattered around the venue with camera places strategically to film proceedings well before the players started filing out. Joey Richards entered the arena first, closely followed by precocious Nick who’s always bursting at the seams with energy.

The infirmary today was largely confined to Kreuger and Wilson who walked laps of the oval because Beau, Moore and Macrae while not yet training in top gear joined a lot of the main action. Begg and Noble were missing from action, while Darcy Cameron who completed most of the session and looked in fine fettle, appeared to suffer an injury and he was not seen during the match simulation near the end which was the most vigorous of all the competitive routines.

After the leisurely kick to kick routine which was the players’ gentle warm-up, the session proper began. One suggests there might have been some limbering up inside the rooms as the exercises aimed at preparing the group for more intense activities were not protracted today.

Many of the players had switched numbers or were numberless which makes identifying those training more difficult. One wonders if it’s part of games played or some like travelling in cognito. Reef, pale-skinned Murphy and Adams had liberally daubed the zinc cream across their faces, while JDG again donned the blue hat which didn’t preclude him from match simulation and contested work, so it must be a fashion choice. Trey, Frampton and Jamie again wore the fluro coloured orange and pin shades on their feet and this flamboyance is a great aid in the player watch stakes.

The long whistle always signals the beginning of formal training or a change in activities, and after the first shrill call to action, the players assembled in two groups. One was stationed at the Rod Laver Arena end and worked between cones while kicking precisely to position in a crisp and efficient manner. The other group working on the outer side wing were running backwards and forwards to large stick figures of men with celerity and they then focussed on moving around these objects, testing their agility and quickness of foot. There was lots of encouragement and affirmation expressed by all as the positive vocal vibes reverberated around the arena and could be heard by the handful of fans in the propinquity. Both groups then swapped so worked in the second station to ensure that they all went through their paces in both activities. The explicitness and clarity of the instructions was impressive, and all players quickly grasped the objectives and methodology of the tasks. It was drummed into the guys that they had to approach their work with aggression. The words aggression and aggressive were belted out ad nauseam which underscores how the intensity of these sessions is rising. Many carried footies while negotiating the obstacles.

Following this both groups combined and there were some short sharp shuttle runs with distance increasing incrementally for a short period of time. This was designed to work on the players’ capacity to complete quick burst running which simulates key match day imperatives. They were also retrieving ground balls and quickly recovering which tested their muscles and football skills After this brief, exacting task, there was a lot of high fiving among the group.

Both Macrae and Moore fully participated in this and the latter in the contesting work which followed with groups of about eight competing for aerial balls at either end of the ground. Macrae instead became the sharking option for the ruck duels between Cox, Steene and Cameron who worked assiduously on this task for quite some time. While Oscar, competing with shin guard was shaded by the other pair, did not look out of his depth. He has a reasonable leap and knows how to use his body. Macrae was often the recipient of neat taps and he then would run goalwards and kick the ball. Cox seems to be relishing this summer with the group now shorn of Grundy. Perhaps he senses he now has ownership of a position and he mixes his tap outs with a tendency to give the ball a bit of a thump at times, something which is important in the sense that an assorted bag of tricks will keep the opposition guessing. How we could have done with this in the fateful preliminary final when Grundy’s modus operandi did not deviate from his target – the turf below his feet. Oscar would be unlucky to be overlooked for the supplementary selection based on his showing during pre-season and on a needs basis, as an extra ruck would seem to be a more urgent consideration than Markov whose positional strengths seem less defined.

There were then activities which seemed directed to players’ likely areas of the ground in match play. Smaller players competed against each other, with the bigger bodies continuing contesting work. Was impressed with Hill who worked in a threesome which included Nick and his speed, skill and even competitive intent were noticeable. The bigger men who competed aerially were vying for marks, but sometimes one on one were able to punch the ball away if they were defending.

One group at the river end of the ground worked for quite a while at goal-kicking, with some enjoying the chance to practise snaps and dribble goals. Was taken by Ash’s skill in this area and these were predominantly those one expects to see occupying the forward zone during the season proper.

Bolton is certainly the most voluble and discernibly vocal of all the coaches and his instructions are always clear, as is his displeasure at egregious errors.

Next on the menu was a whole ground activity which is designed to hone our ball movement methods and skill applications and the overall performance in this drill was patchy. There were two overlapping groups who would move the ball forward with the player at the end of the chain drilling the goals at both ends. There were quick handballs fired out to players who would then be instructed to kick long to player free on the wing. It was instructed that the ball would be placed forward of the runner so that he could grasp it quickly and motor towards goal. Nonetheless there was a lot of errant kicking and some players, including Pendles fluffed easy marks. Great Scott spilling a mark was almost a moment for a photograph to be taken to show that the enduring legend can be human. Hill again impressed here, and McStay continues to look smooth, solid and reliable. His hands are sticky and he immediately spins around to effect his next movement with a graceful air. Maybe he will silence some of those who were a bit agnostic regarding his recruiting. Thus overall while sloppy at times there were some moments when the drill went with military precision and players remembered their cues.

After this there was the final match simulation which was followed by a drill involving sticks which one had to move adroitly around and then polish ball skills. Agility was also being worked on. There was also an activity in which the smaller and running players mainly participated. They had to lie on the ground until commanded to rise, run and then retrieve balls, tackle and lay off. A few other worked in a group with the focus on tackling and dishing off.

In the match simulation, Nick while making the odd mistake which drew shocked gasps from those assembled in the bleachers, was ubiquitous. Not only does he possess rare and precise skills, but he has immense footy nous and the capacity to know where the ball is or is going most of the time. He is also devilishly elusive. Cox marked well. Jamie and Ash also took pack marks deep in the forward line and converted truly. Kelly, or Wilbur, the players’ moniker for him moved well and Dean was solid. It looks also like Mitchell and Adams’ work might be complementary and add a different dimension to our centre square set-up. This could release JDG to split his time between the forward line and the middle. Nick also appears destined for more midfield minutes, while Sidey is still roaming around the wing and sometimes floating forward. WHE seems to be playing in defence much of the time.

While McCreery worked one on one with a trainer at times with some intensive aerobic and agility work, he completed many of the drills.

The heartening thing about today’s session is that, Cameron apart, we got through unscathed as there appear to be quite a few players around the league sustaining injuries during these training blocks. Additionally those who were looking a fair way behind in their preparation in the infirmatory just weeks ago and now transitioning well into full training.

Dean’s thumb no longer seems a concern and he completed the whole session unencumbered. Macrae who was walking gingerly not so long ago, also participated in most of today’s training. His hands are good and he was firing out long accurate handballs during the whole ground ball movement segment. The new minted captain Moore has also made great strides. He was part of most of the drills and did contesting work. At one point he ran an activity kicking the ball to the competing players as they tested their aerial skills. His ball skills looked a tad rusty at first but improved markedly and he’s moving very well.

Begg appears to have had an indifferent pre-season from what I’ve observed and it’s hard to know what’s ailing him. Wilson evidently felt tightness at training during Monday’s training and was taking it easy today. Maynard who’s been added to the leadership group which is great to see is still adorned with shoulder bandages but his strong tackling was on display in some drills and the match sim.
A beautiful piece of prose.

I have Cox in my rolling round one team. Hill's rawness means he may not play round one but I would expect him to play at some point this season. After taking time off to deal with cancer that is completely understandable and reasonable.

Last edited:
not fussed about the ruck situation at all.
Cox is my #1 ruck anyway. He gets first dibs.

But sometimes its far easier if you're going to lose the ruck and just ruck to the opposition anyway.
Secondly, IMO the main value of a ruckman these days is around the ground marks.

Pack marks down the line or coming out of defense are worth way more than 25 hitouts!
Especially for a team like us.

So for mine, its far more his marking skill which sets Gawn apart....and the absolute opposite for Grundy.
Its not rocket science for why we looked heaps better when we ran with Cameron/Cox over Grundy.....

A beautiful piece of prose.

I have Cox in my rolling round one team. Hill's rawness means he may not play round one but I would expect him to play at some point this season. After taking a year off to deal with cancer that is completely understandable and reasonable.
Hill will play plenty this year. He didnt take 2022 off, he played 11 games and full preseason. He is doing a full preseason this year, his fifth. There is no real reason why he wont be ready round 1. Cunnington and Docherty were also back quickly after same problem. Docherty was diagnosed August 21 was back round 1 22, Hill diagnosed May 22 and has 3 more months than Doherty to be ready. Reckon we expect to see him round 1 or early

I don't agree that rucks don't matter much any more. A really good one, like Gawn or Grundy can control a game. It may be only a few games a year that this occurs in, but it matters. A really poor one and any team is in dire straits. Collingwood have never willingly gone down the undersized second ruck path, so I think that tells us that this is what the coaches think too.
Cox and Cameron are both effective on the forward line, and ideally they are both in the team. They both mark well around the ground, and are at least competitive if not actually controlling in the ruck. Both have good mobility for their height. Just one of them leaves a gap that we can't really fill with Kreuger out for the forseeable future. I would really rather that we didn't have to drag McStay into it. The matchups at training, and the drills that McStay is sent to (according to the reports I have read here, because I haven't seen any training) suggest that that is the way the team is preparing.
Agree with this. Kreuger though I think we can forget as a ruck. Both shoulders done, not yet established as an AFL player, he is a forward or back but not a ruck. We are in big trouble if both Cox and Cameron went down. If they are both fit they ruck together but if only 1 fit we can get by

I totally agree with the last few posts regarding rucks at the pies. The assumption we traded Grundy to save salary cap doesn't fit with not offering him a chance to lower his cut. Cox & Cameron combo offer a marking power around the ground we always lacked with Grundy, Mitchell helps resolve the lack of clearances better than Grundy as targeted handballs to our elite outside rather than a hoof forward.

This reasoning suggests to me a CC combo this year. If Cameron is injured round 1 I'd expect an extra tall in defence, especially if Hawkins makes it.

I hear Ben Silvagni is playing for our VFL team, I wonder if it has anything to do with Jack Silvagni who is a free agent at the end of the year. 25 194cm forward. I know we have AJ, Mihocek and Reef as that around 194cm forward but would be happy if Silvagni came over also if Will Kelly doesn't get a new contract this year he would be an upgrade.

I hear Ben Silvagni is playing for our VFL team, I wonder if it has anything to do with Jack Silvagni who is a free agent at the end of the year. 25 194cm forward. I know we have AJ, Mihocek and Reef as that around 194cm forward but would be happy if Silvagni came over also if Will Kelly doesn't get a new contract this year he would be an upgrade.
We have addressed our depth. Now the focus needs to be on quality.

I totally agree with the last few posts regarding rucks at the pies. The assumption we traded Grundy to save salary cap doesn't fit with not offering him a chance to lower his cut. Cox & Cameron combo offer a marking power around the ground we always lacked with Grundy, Mitchell helps resolve the lack of clearances better than Grundy as targeted handballs to our elite outside rather than a hoof forward.

This reasoning suggests to me a CC combo this year. If Cameron is injured round 1 I'd expect an extra tall in defence, especially if Hawkins makes it.
Yes there are only ever one or two true complete first ruckmen maturing each generation so the rest of the competition simply must use alternative methods - and they word as well.

There were rumours that Grundy refused to take a pay cut, which, if true, was his right anyway.
Time to forget about him and move on.

I thought Cox was v good yesterday. No Cameron, but he still marked strongly against the backs, and taught poor Oscar a lesson in the ruck. Kid is 204cm, but looked 196cm next to big Coxy.

DeGoey also v good, and Nick in everything, as players unsurprisingly look for him, and he often answers by getting free. Expects some tags this year Nick... in almost every game.

Adams' pressure also really stood out in the middle for me, as he looks keen to not let his primary spot go to Mitch. & Mitchell was a little bit off the pace tbh. Still learning chemistry with teammates in gameplay, and not quick. No doubt has plenty to give, so will be good to see him gain more touch with gameplan / teammates in more match sims, then the real stuff. Pendles also v relaible but not quick, so am not expecting the veteran brigade of Pendles, Lipinski, Sidey, Mitch & Adams to be paired up together much. Will catch us out against quick opposition if so, and is why messers Crisp, DG, Nick and young bucks Arlo, HH and Carmy will be vital.

Arlo looked good too. Snapped a nice goal, and got amongst it in the centre. Ditto Ryan off HBF, but will continue to say this... needs to look down the ground, not sideways and 15m in front of him! Giving me flashbacks to Mayne a bit.

Elliott got caught a couple of times, which along with a few other HTB decisions, got me thinking two things... 1. our transition defence looks v good, with all players knowing their roles and guarding space / being v quick to pressure the ball carrier, but also... 2. The handball / quick transition strategy needs everyone switched on, with little margin for error. Again, matches with 18 defenders on the field is v different to 5 a side handball drills in small spaces, so hopefully this clicks. Last season proved that the coaches are v good at implementing these strategies, but there will no doubt be patches in the season with players getting caught up in knots, and being caught when the chain breaks down.

WHE intercepted well at HB in one passage, so again will be v interesting to see if he really makes this spot his own. I personally think he will be exposed a bit here, with average one v one pressure / contested skills.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back