Pre season training report 11/11/2015

Remove this Banner Ad

watt price tully

Team Captain
Nov 2, 2012
AFL Club
Collingwood
Hi, (belated posting FYI), - (was on Nicks)

As I've got one more week on my annual leave left thought I'd ride (first time in about a year) my bicycle down there. (Mental note: next time make sure I pump up my own tyres physically not just metaphorically - a much easier ride home than there).

Got there late, about 10:10 am.

First note:

Marsh was jogging laps with ? Ramsay.
Frost was jogging laps with ? the new guy from GWS who is trying out
Maynard & Gault were jogging laps by themselves as was Treloar albeit briefly when I got to see him

Did not see De Goey.

In terms of drills, there were two teams playing on the eastern side of the ground (AAMI stadium side) yellow & black teams with a football & mock goals facing north- south.

The yellow team included:

Williams, Elliott, Scharenberg, Cox, Aish, Crisp & Goodyear

The black team included:

Faz, Witts, Grundy, Langdon, Adams, Oxley & Broomy

The drills were basically transition play from turnover. A turnover it seemed to me was deemed to be almost any mistake from what I could tell. Mistakes then were defined as: kicks to the opposition / not hitting targets including going over the supposed boundaries). There were multiple sessions of this punctuated by a brief rest then kicks fot goal.

In other words, they would do the drills, then amble over to goal kicking & they seemed to do this on a few occasions. It seems the transition also included kicks in front of players heading to goal like the "sling shot" where we got caught a more than a few times during the season.

Standouts for me included:

Scharenberg - his touch & kicking were sublime
Aish's skills also are sublime
Broomhead - He is quality
Adams is a smart player
Elliot was conspicuous with his good kicking skills
Langdon too did well as did Oxley
Witts reamins a glorious kick to postion
Faz, brilliant kick & strong mark
Witts took a ripper mark between Cox & another defender that was noticeable.
Crisp too was good.
Williams got the ball & cleared the ball - of what I saw two excellent kicks & two less than excellent kicks!!

Most kicks for goal by most players were very good.

The players then were brought in, some discussion with various coaches. Harvey was leading the drill / transition / turnover drills.

The players went back to boundary, I went & got a skinny flat white & a bowl of bircher muesli & looked on from the new facilities. My god, they offered me a toasted ham & brie sanga - far too rich for me. All I needed was a trowel & so that I could ladle the fat directly onto my arteries!! I was able to sit down & watch the players run / jog at pace near me:

Leading the pack were Broomy, Adams & Crisp (not always in that order) they did at least three laps at good pace. Billy was up there, as was Goodyear, Witts & Shazza. There my well have been others but I couldn't get them all. Witts wasn't too bad & Grundy resumed his usual place in the running that is, checking on all the others in front of him
icon_wink.gif

The players formed a line on the oval facing the new Centre & observed a minutes silence - I was about to have a spoonful of the said muesli but noticed the players & so I stood up too for remembrance Day facing them so to speak. Left the poppy I bought a week ago at home (damn it)

Summary:

Shazza, Broomy & Aish look great as do Adams & Elliot.

Impression:

Nothing to worry about. All looks good so far. Pleasing.

Went to a cycle shop next to Richmond station. My rear tyre was less than 50 when they should be 90-100 PSI's. There I was thinking how unfit I am & while true I'd made it unnecessarily difficult for myself on the ride there.

Love the reports, but this is precisely why I made the off-season thread, for gold like this! Otherwise we're going to have a bajillion threads with dates on them from training lol.

Love the reports, but this is precisely why I made the off-season thread, for gold like this! Otherwise we're going to have a bajillion threads with dates on them from training lol.

But would Reports get Lost in there?

But would Reports get Lost in there?
What difference does it make? There's going to be a more recent one only a few days later, if not the next day.

Hi, (belated posting FYI), - (was on Nicks)

As I've got one more week on my annual leave left thought I'd ride (first time in about a year) my bicycle down there. (Mental note: next time make sure I pump up my own tyres physically not just metaphorically - a much easier ride home than there).

Got there late, about 10:10 am.

First note:

Marsh was jogging laps with ? Ramsay.
Frost was jogging laps with ? the new guy from GWS who is trying out
Maynard & Gault were jogging laps by themselves as was Treloar albeit briefly when I got to see him

Did not see De Goey.

In terms of drills, there were two teams playing on the eastern side of the ground (AAMI stadium side) yellow & black teams with a football & mock goals facing north- south.

The yellow team included:

Williams, Elliott, Scharenberg, Cox, Aish, Crisp & Goodyear

The black team included:

Faz, Witts, Grundy, Langdon, Adams, Oxley & Broomy

The drills were basically transition play from turnover. A turnover it seemed to me was deemed to be almost any mistake from what I could tell. Mistakes then were defined as: kicks to the opposition / not hitting targets including going over the supposed boundaries). There were multiple sessions of this punctuated by a brief rest then kicks fot goal.

In other words, they would do the drills, then amble over to goal kicking & they seemed to do this on a few occasions. It seems the transition also included kicks in front of players heading to goal like the "sling shot" where we got caught a more than a few times during the season.

Standouts for me included:

Scharenberg - his touch & kicking were sublime
Aish's skills also are sublime
Broomhead - He is quality
Adams is a smart player
Elliot was conspicuous with his good kicking skills
Langdon too did well as did Oxley
Witts reamins a glorious kick to postion
Faz, brilliant kick & strong mark
Witts took a ripper mark between Cox & another defender that was noticeable.
Crisp too was good.
Williams got the ball & cleared the ball - of what I saw two excellent kicks & two less than excellent kicks!!

Most kicks for goal by most players were very good.

The players then were brought in, some discussion with various coaches. Harvey was leading the drill / transition / turnover drills.

The players went back to boundary, I went & got a skinny flat white & a bowl of bircher muesli & looked on from the new facilities. My god, they offered me a toasted ham & brie sanga - far too rich for me. All I needed was a trowel & so that I could ladle the fat directly onto my arteries!! I was able to sit down & watch the players run / jog at pace near me:

Leading the pack were Broomy, Adams & Crisp (not always in that order) they did at least three laps at good pace. Billy was up there, as was Goodyear, Witts & Shazza. There my well have been others but I couldn't get them all. Witts wasn't too bad & Grundy resumed his usual place in the running that is, checking on all the others in front of him
icon_wink.gif

The players formed a line on the oval facing the new Centre & observed a minutes silence - I was about to have a spoonful of the said muesli but noticed the players & so I stood up too for remembrance Day facing them so to speak. Left the poppy I bought a week ago at home (damn it)

Summary:

Shazza, Broomy & Aish look great as do Adams & Elliot.

Impression:

Nothing to worry about. All looks good so far. Pleasing.

Went to a cycle shop next to Richmond station. My rear tyre was less than 50 when they should be 90-100 PSI's. There I was thinking how unfit I am & while true I'd made it unnecessarily difficult for myself on the ride there.
Love reading these reports, thanks for taking the time to write and share.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

excellent report... who offered the toasted sanga? what price? the description of the fat was sublime.... I almost tasted it reading your report.. wonderful

Ha ha. $3.80 for coffee & a whopping $12 for the muesli. Muesli was great although for $I2 could've done with a bit more.
$12 for a bowl of juice soaked muesli???

Should've taken the ham and cheese toastie.

Like others I appreciate reports like this - not living in Melbourne I rarely get to training and it's great to know what's going on (we took the kids a couple of years ago and the players were great - the kids got a heap of autographs). It all sounds positive too and hearing that players are kicking well should be music to every Pies supporter - as long as they can do it in matches next year!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back