Game Day Pre Season vs Melbourne 10am.

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
club could've put it up

remember theres ppl out here paying memberships that cant afford kayo let alone foxtel
I had to go on epilepsy meds cos of the webcam camera that was used

and they charge 35 a month

and they think their servers that can't reliably provide 720p are gonna pump out 4k

best
need $300 a month internet to watch kayo 4k

They wouldn't be allowed given it was broadcast on pay per view.
yeah

this was always gonna be a problem from when the new deal was signed

all this corporate legal shyte leaves the battlers out in the cold

they introduced kayo cheap af to soften the blow to f2a fans

now in a col crisis it is over double what it was 2 or 3 years ago

campaigners

He may be rubbish, well perhaps a tad strong, but he makes a contest and brings others into play. Bolton and crumbers will love his attack in the air. We have been timid in the air since Jack lost his leap and Lynch is wasted going up to the wings. At the worst he is good insurance for injuries.
Just need someone to impact forward contests similar to the modus operandi of Norton and Mihocek. Defenders and sometimes even your own players gotta hear footsteps. JR8 wore slippers and tiptoed his way around the forward line in '23.

Defenders heard JR8 sook it up big time. Music to their ears. We were cooked from that point on.

Just need someone to impact forward contests similar to the modus operandi of Norton and Mihocek. Defenders and sometimes even your own players gotta hear footsteps. JR8 wore slippers and tiptoed his way around the forward line in '23.

Defenders heard JR8 sook it up big time. Music to their ears. We were cooked from that point on.
And they weren't afraid of being jumped over any longer. Jack busted a gut to the end, just lost his spring, one of the things that made him great.

Just watched the cut down replay of the game and was really pleased with what I saw, sure we gave the Dee's a 5 goal start. But the good things were we kicked the ball a lot more not trying the old chain of hand passes out of defense which can easily come undone. We got the ball into our forward line fast and accurately, looking for players on their own not taking ages to set it up then just bombing it in like we used to. So glad to see Gibcus back as well. I think the guys were stale with Dimma's tactics and if this continues I can't wait for the season to start. Will be interesting to see how the GCS play this year.
Yep, just finished watching that recording myself. Could and should have won by more imo, Shemons gifted a few, especially end of 2nd!
And contrary to what’s been said about Jack Graham, he played a very honest and decent game. Ball use was excellent, tackling and pressure good, and didn’t give away head high frees.

MATCH SIM TALKING POINTS

Melbourne and Richmond faced off in match simulation at Casey Fields on Sunday as preparations ramp up for the start of the home and away season.

The two teams played an initial four-quarter match, followed by a further three quarters featuring a raft of VFL players.

Here were some of the key takeaways from the clash.

ONBALL SPARKS​

[PLAYERCARD]Shai Bolton[/PLAYERCARD] was a class above. Picture: Michael Klein

Shai Bolton was a class above. Picture: Michael Klein

At a time when fitness levels haven’t peaked and skills can be scrappy, players with pure class stand out.

That was the case for Richmond’s Shai Bolton, who split his time between midfield and forward roles and was a class above during Sunday’s match simulation.

Bolton provided a spark and won multiple centre clearances when he was in the middle, while he also kicked four goals when pushing forward – including three during a second quarter purple patch.

He proved hard to catch with his breakaway pace from the contest and evasive skills.

Melbourne livewire Kysiah Pickett played a similar role and also had a major impact, gathering five centre clearances from only eight centre bounce attendances.

Pickett also finished off his work with two goals, which both came in the third quarter.

GIBCUS BACK AT IT​

Josh Gibcus returned from injury. Picture: Michael Willson/AFL Photos via Getty Images

Josh Gibcus returned from injury. Picture: Michael Willson/AFL Photos via Getty Images

Having not played since his debut season in 2022 due to persistent hamstring issues last year, Tigers backman Josh Gibcus finally made his return to the field.

The 196cm key defender slotted back in seamlessly, starting the match on the ground and playing the first three quarters before being managed.

Still only 20 years old, Gibcus was strong in one-on-one contests and also displayed some nice follow-up work.

Richmond has high hopes for the 2021 No.9 draft pick, who had featured in 18 games in his debut season.

MELBOURNE DEMONS v RICHMOND TIGERS​

RucksCBAsCBA %Notes
Max Gawn1544.1%Played Q1-2
Will Verrall1338.2%Played Q3-6
Josh Schache617.7%Played Q1-4
Sam Naismith1955.9%Played back up
Samson Ryan1544.1%Took first contest
MidfieldersCBAsCBA %Notes
Jack Viney2779.4%6 clearances
Christian Petracca1647.1%2 clearances, 2 goals
Tom Sparrow2573.5%No clearances
Alex Neal-Bullen2264.7%No clearances
Kysaiah Pickett823.5%5 clearances, 2 goals
Bailey Laurie25.9%No clearances
Jack Billings25.9%No clearances
Thomson Dow2470.6%2 clearances
Jack Graham1852.9%No clearances
Jacob Hopper2470.6%3 clearances
Jack Ross2058.8%2 clearances
Shai Bolton1338.2%4 clearances, 4 goals
Kane McAuliffe38.8%Came on Q4

NEW LOOK TIGERS ATTACK​

With Tom Lynch watching on from the sidelines as he continues to build fitness, Richmond rolled out a new-look forward line which it will take into Opening Round.

Lynch has already been ruled out of the clash against the Gold Coast Suns on March 9, with defender-turned-forward Noah Balta and recruit Jacob Koschitzke left to spearhead the attack.

[PLAYERCARD]Noah Balta[/PLAYERCARD] spearheaded the attack. Picture: Michael Willson/AFL Photo

Noah Balta spearheaded the attack. Picture: Michael Willson/AFL Photo

Balta was the standout, proving strong in the contest against Melbourne defender Steven May and providing a target for teammates.

The 2020 premiership defender took some strong contested marks and kicked three goals in three quarters before being taken out of the match.

Koschitzke made the most of some early opportunities with two goals in the opening term, but was relatively quiet thereafter.

LEAKY DEES DEFENCE​

Melbourne was far from full-strength in some areas of the ground, but its defence was not missing much.

Steven May, Jake Lever and Adam Tomlinson were all part of the back-six set up across the first four quarters.

While it was only match simulation in February, the second-stingiest defence in the competition in 2023 didn’t look particularly sharp as it was picked apart by the Tigers.

Richmond booted 10 unanswered goals between the middle of the first quarter and late in the second quarter and had 18 majors on the board after four quarters.

[PLAYERCARD]Steven May[/PLAYERCARD] was part of the back-six set up across the first four quarters. Picture: Michael Klein

Steven May was part of the back-six set up across the first four quarters. Picture: Michael Klein

RUCK WOES​

Both Richmond and Melbourne are lacking a little ruck depth on the back of the off-season departures of their No.2 men.

The Tigers lost Ivan Soldo to Port Adelaide during the trade period, while the Demons lost Brodie Grundy to Sydney.

With captain Toby Nankervis being managed, Richmond started Samson Ryan in the ruck against Melbourne captain Max Gawn.

Ryan – who has 15 AFL games under his belt – had his moments against the six-time All-Australian but was beaten in the battle early.

Former Sydney ruckman Sam Naismith was then injected into the game and performed well.

Gawn played only the first half of the match simulation, with Melbourne then turning to 19-year-old rookie ruck Will Verrall.

Josh Schache – who spent most the game playing as a key forward – also chipped in at the centre bounce at stages.

Richmond started Samson Ryan in the ruck. Picture: Morgan Hancock/Getty Images

Richmond started Samson Ryan in the ruck. Picture: Morgan Hancock/Getty Images

YOUNG TALENT TIME​

With Tim Taranto and Dustin Martin being absent from the Richmond line-up, two young Tigers were given the chance to play some extra midfield minutes.

Thomson Dow – who has been one of the club’s most impressive performers on the track over pre-season – played onball for the majority of the match, as did Jack Ross.

They both showed some good signs of development and won some clearances.

Steely Green pushed his case for an early-season AFL debut after an eye-catching showing up forward, which included two goals in the third quarter.

A bulked-up Tom Brown featured in defence for Richmond and looked good, while the club’s No.40 draft pick from last year – Kane McAuliffe – had a run through the midfield in the last quarter of the main match.

For Melbourne, father-son rookie Kynan Brown showed some great signs across half-forward and on a wing, finishing with two goals.

The club’s No.7 draft pick from last year, Caleb Windsor, also had a solid first outing and provided some good outside run through the middle.

EARLY INJURY​

Rhyan Mansell finished the game in a moon boot. Picture: Michael Willson/AFL Photos via Getty Images

Rhyan Mansell finished the game in a moon boot. Picture: Michael Willson/AFL Photos via Getty Images

Richmond pressure forward Rhyan Mansell will have scans on Monday after suffering a right ankle injury.

Mansell left the ground in the opening minutes of the match and was quickly taken into the rooms for assessment.

He later re-emerged wearing a moon boot.

There are fears the issue could be more serious than a rolled ankle, but scans will determine the severity of the injury.

Mansell played 17 senior matches last season.

MISSING IN ACTION​

Both teams were missing at least a handful of players from their best 23s due to injuries and management.

The Tigers were without Dion Prestia (hamstring), Dustin Martin (managed), Tim Taranto (managed), Liam Baker (personal reason), Toby Nankervis (managed), Dylan Grimes (managed) and Tom Lynch (foot).

Melbourne’s Harrison Petty (toe), Shane McAdam (calf), Angus Brayshaw (illness), Tom McDonald (calf), Lachie Hunter (calf) and Charlie Spargo (Achilles) all missed the match simulation, while Clayton Oliver and Christian Salem took part in the final three quarters on the back of limited preparations.

GOALS (AFTER FOUR QUARTERS)​

Melbourne: Petracca 2, Fritsch 2, Pickett 2, Brown 2, Van Rooyen, Lever, Gawn, Schache, Verrall, Chandler.

Richmond: Bolton 4, Balta 3, Green 2, Sonsie 2, Koschitzke 2, M. Rioli, Short, Campbell, Pickett, Lefau.

SCORES​

AFTER 4 PERIODS

MELBOURNE 14.10 (94)

RICHMOND 18.9 (117)

AFTER 7 PERIODS

MELBOURNE 22.13 (145)

RICHMOND 21.21 (147)

MELBOURNE’S ANGUS BRAYSHAW ANNOUNCES SHOCK RETIREMENT​

BY SAM EDMUND
ME290124MW00026.jpg

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yep, just finished watching that recording myself. Could and should have won by more imo, Shemons gifted a few, especially end of 2nd!
And contrary to what’s been said about Jack Graham, he played a very honest and decent game. Ball use was excellent, tackling and pressure good, and didn’t give away head high frees.
I also will watch the game for the second time in slow mo as I find as I have plenty of spare time these days, watching it in slow-mo you can see soooo much unfolding and errors amplified
And first impressions of Jack's game were he was slow, he was sloppy with his tackling and had a few fumbles.

Watching the slow mo version right now and not a great start by Jack ;)

I don't think Yze is gonna put up with much of this turnover rubbish by JGTI.

View attachment JGTI.mp4

I also will watch the game for the second time in slow mo as I find as I have plenty of spare time these days, watching it in slow-mo you can see soooo much unfolding and errors amplified
And first impressions of Jack's game were he was slow, he was sloppy with his tackling and had a few fumbles.

Watching the slow mo version right now and not a great start by Jack ;)

I don't think Yze is gonna put up with much of this turnover rubbish by JGTI.

View attachment 1910807
Two minutes into the first practice game and he gets a reflex handball out in front of him which he fumbles with someone running at him. And that’s how you’re going to judge him? Tough judge, and you bag his tackling during the game? Wow.
But you’re right about one thing though, if he doesn’t perform, Yze won’t want him in the side, just like every other player mind you.

yeah

this was always gonna be a problem from when the new deal was signed

all this corporate legal shyte leaves the battlers out in the cold

they introduced kayo cheap af to soften the blow to f2a fans

now in a col crisis it is over double what it was 2 or 3 years ago

campaigners
Just go and watch at a pokies venue with free coffee and biscuits if you haven’t got Foxtel or kayo , no problem , everyone’s a winner

Two minutes into the first practice game and he gets a reflex handball out in front of him which he fumbles with someone running at him. And that’s how you’re going to judge him? Tough judge, and you bag his tackling during the game? Wow.
But you’re right about one thing though, if he doesn’t perform, Yze won’t want him in the side, just like every other player mind you.
I’d like to think sonz will put a bit of pressure on JG spot in the side

Found a site where I can watch live games for free, am yet to find one where I can watch a replay though sadly. Missed the first half of the match

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back