Food/Supplements Pre Season

ZackP31

Draftee
Oct 27, 2015
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Baltimore Ravens
I want to really improve in my pre season this year, last year I pulled out of a lot of the exercises in pre season which is embarrassing and also frustrating for myself! Last year i played half forward and towards the end of the season I made my way into the midfield which I'm aiming to start from round 1! I was just wanting some tips on how to prepare myself as best as i can for the high demand pre season, this year Leigh Adams (former North Melbourne player) has been appointed as the senior coach and is going to have 3 nights of training a week, i really need some help on what to eat before sessions and help on my mental strength (how to push past my pain barriers) feedback would be greatly appreciated :)

cptkirk

Premiership Player
Oct 6, 2009
st kilda east
AFL Club
Sydney
have you been getting stronger in the gym? that should be your first move as a stronger muscle is a more resilient muscle, especially with 3 nights a week of training on the horizon

after that then there's nothing hard about eating well, we all know what the good foods are but don't be afraid of all carbs or fats, just the bad selections of them

for mental strength i'd have a word with Patch and let him know that you want to be pushed and held accountable all pre-season and he will 1 - love that and 2 - will make sure he does it

also have a word to him about what he thinks you should be doing outside of training too so you're allowing enough recovery time btw sessions and structuring your full training schedule the right way

who you playing for? i read he was coaching somewhere but can't remember where?

ZackP31

Draftee
Oct 27, 2015
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Baltimore Ravens
Sorry for the extremely late reply, I haven't hit the gym in my career yet, I'm only into my second year of u/19s, I fatigue faster than the senior players so i could work on my muscle growth! Thanks for the feedback, i will have a chat with patch, he's coaching South Croydon Football Club in first division of efl

kaitigers

Rookie
Mar 31, 2015
AFL Club
Richmond
I want to really improve in my pre season this year, last year I pulled out of a lot of the exercises in pre season which is embarrassing and also frustrating for myself! Last year i played half forward and towards the end of the season I made my way into the midfield which I'm aiming to start from round 1! I was just wanting some tips on how to prepare myself as best as i can for the high demand pre season, this year Leigh Adams (former North Melbourne player) has been appointed as the senior coach and is going to have 3 nights of training a week, i really need some help on what to eat before sessions and help on my mental strength (how to push past my pain barriers) feedback would be greatly appreciated :)
if your making a move into the guts or midfield a strong fitness base is paramount focus on interval running and do some 400s 600s and 800s I have a mate in the fitness staff at Richmond fc and it's all the rage at the moment also have a chat to leigh Adams and set out some goals for you he has come from an elite environment and knows what he's talking

cptkirk

Premiership Player
Oct 6, 2009
st kilda east
AFL Club
Sydney
interval training is great IF:

- you already have excellent sprinting speed

and

2 - you already have an excellent aerobic energy system

otherwise it could almost be classed as a waste of time because you won't be able to recover between sets so you might do 1 good set and the rest are less and less effective so you've built up a lot of fatigue and not much else

kaitigers

Rookie
Mar 31, 2015
AFL Club
Richmond
interval training is great IF:

- you already have excellent sprinting speed

and

2 - you already have an excellent aerobic energy system

otherwise it could almost be classed as a waste of time because you won't be able to recover between sets so you might do 1 good set and the rest are less and less effective so you've built up a lot of fatigue and not much else
what other running would you recommend I do agree though

Back