Socceroos Pre WC friendly match day thread featuring the Czech Republic & Hungary

Remove this Banner Ad

Aug 9, 2016
AFL Club
Sydney
Like I said, Risdon is way out of his depth at this level. His game against Hungary showed all of his weaknesses, positional play, tracking, even goal side marking. He is a massive liability that will leak goals- must replace. Degenek

Milligans weakness is that he occasionally gives up possession when there is high press. Did once last night and almost cost a goal. Is he worse that Jurman though? Idk

The performance against Hungary was very poor. No imagination whatsoever. Midfield was outplayed.

Arzani was good when he had his chance but is a one trick wonder - cuts inside for right foot shot. Good defences will read and close. That said he is worthy of a try. Did juric even touch the ball when he came on? Can't believe he actually slowly walked off when replaced....ffs score goals and no one will replace you

Jones was at fault in own goal. Lacked understanding with defence and not a viable alternative to Ryan.

Am still undecided over jedinak v Luongo. luongos touch way better but there's no doubt Jedinak creates presence in centre of park.

On that performance against Hungary we are going to get smashed

May 23, 2001
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Positives for mine
- Arzani. The sheer audacity of the kid. You would be tempted to start him but I think he will be better off the bench. What a prospect though.
- Irvine was excellent when he came on, another handy bench option.
- Sainsbury was good apart from the OG which I didn't think was his fault for the most part
- We won

Negatives:
- Risdon back to earth with a thud and no clear replacement for him
- Milligan passed the ball terribly after doing so well week before. It's a shame we didn't trial Mile at CB to see if it could work
- Brad Jones, fantastic bloke but shouldn't be anywhere near the National team.
- No clear striker, Nabbout offers little and Juric not fit.

Leaves BVM with more questions than answers, especially the midfield mix. I'd probably start Jedinak and Luongo as DMF against France with Mooy higher and then look to bring Rogic, Irvine/Cahill and Arzani off bench.

hey shorty

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts TheBrownDog
Jun 15, 2005
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
AUFC, Everton, Sturt
Arzani is going to be a pretty special player IMO.

Agree on Risdon, he's a disaster in waiting but we have nothing else.

Sep 22, 2011
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Liverpool FC, Washington Wizards
We took McGowan and Franjic to Brazil, I think Risdon is better than both.
Risdon is fine attacking and creating space with the ball. But defensively lacking then both. Franjic is a little more composed. Think Degenek will probably get the nod at RB.

JimDocker

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 16, 2007
Fremantle
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Doncaster Rovers, Boston Celtics
Mooy was far too negative. Most of the time, he received the ball with his back to the goal and never even thought of turning and looking forward. Australia needs to have some intent to score.

It was noticeable in the last 2 games that better opponents will not sit deep and allow Australia’s defenders and deep midfielders to knock the ball around. The opposition forwards are putting them under pressure. Australia need to use the space behind them and put pressure on the other way.

I would be tempted to keep the starting back 4 but add Jedinak as sweeper. It would be calming but allow the wing backs more freedom going forward.

Risdon is fine attacking and creating space with the ball. But defensively lacking then both. Franjic is a little more composed. Think Degenek will probably get the nod at RB.
Risdon>>>Franjic defensively.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Aug 9, 2016
AFL Club
Sydney
Mooy was far too negative. Most of the time, he received the ball with his back to the goal and never even thought of turning and looking forward. Australia needs to have some intent to score.

It was noticeable in the last 2 games that better opponents will not sit deep and allow Australia’s defenders and deep midfielders to knock the ball around. The opposition forwards are putting them under pressure. Australia need to use the space behind them and put pressure on the other way.

I would be tempted to keep the starting back 4 but add Jedinak as sweeper. It would be calming but allow the wing backs more freedom going forward.

Yeah agree with Mooy comment. Not attacking enough- plays possession football 100% of time.

High press is used by all top teams to dispossess.

Having 5 at back is simply unworkable

Time has run out. We go with what we've got but must replace Risdon. France will give him a bath otherwise

carnthemlions

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 19, 2012
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
San Francisco 49ers, Hertha Berlin
Yeah agree with Mooy comment. Not attacking enough- plays possession football 100% of time.

High press is used by all top teams to dispossess.

Having 5 at back is simply unworkable

Time has run out. We go with what we've got but must replace Risdon. France will give him a bath otherwise
Mooy didn't seem to have an answer to Hungary having players standing off him on either side when he received the ball from a cb, he'll get us killed if he does that against decent opposition.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back