Predict our 2017 rising star

Remove this Banner Ad

Andre the Giant

Norm Smith Medallist
Feb 20, 2012
Melbourne, VIC
AFL Club
GWS
With our list completed and the pre-season commencing I thought it would be interesting to put up a thread to predict our rising star of 2017.

With such a burgeoning list of young talent this is a difficult task but I'm interested to hear other fans thoughts.

For me I'm going a bit left field and predicting Harrison Himmelberg.

Whilst midfielders generally make the biggest impression ours looks pretty settled so I think opportunities will have to come elsewhere.

Himmelberg impressed me greatly this year and in the few games he played he showed maturity beyond his years.

At 194cms and with good marking, agility, and ability to read the play I can see him taking a mobile defender role and being Joel Patful's (189 cms) replacement.

With another pre-season of strength and conditioning this bloke should just about be ready to explode and really challenge for best 22.

Hopper and Kennedy would seem the other likely contenders with a year under their belts and of the newbies Taranto strikes as the most likely to make an early impact.

Love to hear others thoughts.

Hopper to sh@$ it in- will play most games

If they can just improve his speed and agility a notch (very difficult to do) he can be so good. His ability to get the ball and use by hand is very impressive.

Just find he is a bit slow at times. General theme with our draftees of the last couple of years, need to be careful not to overlook the importance of pace.

Hopper

Game 1 vs Gold Coast, he comes on and lines up next to GAJ.

The ball comes loose and he just bulldozes his way to get the ball first. GAJ? No fear, no problem

Himmelberg did look pretty good in his few games. Very good.

Matt Kennedy I wasn't hugely impressed by but he will improve

This year's draftees will have to be something to get more than a couple of games.

If they can just improve his speed and agility a notch (very difficult to do) he can be so good. His ability to get the ball and use by hand is very impressive.

Just find he is a bit slow at times. General theme with our draftees of the last couple of years, need to be careful not to overlook the importance of pace.
He isn't that type of player- there are many many successful top tier players without blistering speed.

He isn't that type of player- there are many many successful top tier players without blistering speed.

No doubt being quick between the ears is the most important skill and players like Sam Mitchell and Greg Williams to name a few have overcome a lack of pace.

I just felt with Hopper he looked slow with the ball and the issue with that was that he ended up rushing his decisions.

We may be living in a fools paradise because our ball movement has been so smooth from halfback but its not a coincidence that a lot of our forward movement is from counter-attack stemming from Williams and Wilson. When Wilson lost form this year ot was a big blow to the team.

I think we need some more speed in the middle and up forward and this should be part of our list strategy next year and even override Academy selections if necessary.

Don't get me wrong we have some quick players but we also have a lot of the same and we have just brought in 3 more one paced mids.

If you do that (which Richmond did) over a few years you end up with a one paced team that gets punished in the games that count.

I think the Western Bulldogs have exposed our leg speed a few times now.

As an outsider I'd say your rising star this year will be Gill and his team. But coming in a close 2nd you can't go past Setterfield

(Log in to remove this ad.)

As an outsider I'd say your rising star this year will be Gill and his team. But coming in a close 2nd you can't go past Setterfield

I could be narky and say your rising star, for second year running, is Free Kick Differential, but that would be petty.

Enjoy being the hunted; and if you keep up the arrogance, you'll be joining us, Hawthorn and Collingwood as the hated.

I could be narky and say your rising star, for second year running, is Free Kick Differential, but that would be petty.

Enjoy being the hunted; and if you keep up the arrogance, you'll be joining us, Hawthorn and Collingwood as the hated.
Sorry Ellie, I'm not above being petty....

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk

I think that of all the draftees, Hopper will be the one who plays most games. So I think we'll see him as the most consistent - but I agree with others that he needs to raise his game. Brilliant first game, but then never again reached those heights. If he can regularly hit 90% of his efforts in the GCS game, that would be good for GWS.

Of those who could rise quickly to very good heights in 2017, I'm on HH too. Showed some very good attributes in those few games last year, and has put on some muscle. I don't necessarily have him in my best 22 to start the year, which is heavily biased towards last year's finishing team, less Patfull (and now Whitfield) but adding Deledio, but there's certainly an opening for him (or someone else) to grab a spot in the backline with Joel's retirement. I certainly have him as one player who could grab that permanent spot by year's end.

I think that of all the draftees, Hopper will be the one who plays most games. So I think we'll see him as the most consistent - but I agree with others that he needs to raise his game. Brilliant first game, but then never again reached those heights. If he can regularly hit 90% of his efforts in the GCS game, that would be good for GWS.

Of those who could rise quickly to very good heights in 2017, I'm on HH too. Showed some very good attributes in those few games last year, and has put on some muscle. I don't necessarily have him in my best 22 to start the year, which is heavily biased towards last year's finishing team, less Patfull (and now Whitfield) but adding Deledio, but there's certainly an opening for him (or someone else) to grab a spot in the backline with Joel's retirement. I certainly have him as one player who could grab that permanent spot by year's end.
Think I'm gonna feel for whoever of Bunts, Corr and Himmelburg who miss out, although injuries are sadly likely to create some opportunities, hope not.

Think I'm gonna feel for whoever of Bunts, Corr and Himmelburg who miss out, although injuries are sadly likely to create some opportunities, hope not.
I fully expect to lose 1 or 2 of bunts and corr if they aren't entrenched best 22 this year. Would suck as both have talent. Don't think Carlton would poach more KPD though as they have a ridiculous number already

I fully expect to lose 1 or 2 of bunts and corr if they aren't entrenched best 22 this year. Would suck as both have talent. Don't think Carlton would poach more KPD though as they have a ridiculous number already
Get your right, losing both could be a serious depth problem though. Cant see them sticking around if we move the General back to cover injuries in particular.Both would be able to find a club with a spot for them.

:p Definitely no more KPD's for Carlton, we need to leave holes for Jezza, Rory and the general.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back