Remove this Banner Ad

jsdsgn

Club Legend
Oct 29, 2018
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Lakers
One thing that worries me is that the youth of this club just seems quite boring (i guess you could say) compared to other clubs. obviously weve been unlucky with drafting in terms of injuries and trading all our picks for 30 year olds, but where do you see our best 22 in 5 years time?

Players currently best 22 or getting regular games that definitely/most probably wont be there (and how old theyll be):
  • Pendlebury (36), Sidebottom (33), Howe (34), Cox (34), Beams (34), Greenwood (35), Elliott?? (32, injuries), Mayne (35), Roughead (33), Thomas (33), Varcoe (36)

Players who will be getting on, or arent great players who will last another 5 years without being replaced:
  • WHE (31), Crisp (31), Langdon (30), Mihocek (31), Treloar (31), Wills (31), Adams (31)
These 6 players i can see still around because obviously every club has experienced players, WHE would be the least likely of the 4. Injuries may get to Langdon. Mihocek had a late start to footy.

S here's my best 22 in 5 years time assuming we keep our young players (and scharenberg cause i rate him)
Ive left our a few of the unknown players (Tohill, Keane, Atu) because we have no idea if theyll make it or be delisted within 5 yrs
However contrary Ive added players like Will Kelly because Im more confident hell make it
I left out Appleby because I dont think hes going to last. Dont mind the kid but not sure if the club sees it that way

B ---- Scharenberg (29) - Kelly (24) - Noble (27)
HB--- Quaynor (24) - Moore (28) - Murphy (24)
C---- Crisp (31) - Sier (26) - T Brown (24)
R ----Grundy (30) - DeGoey (28) - Maynard (28)
HF--- Daicos (25) - Mihocek (31) - ????
FF---- Stephenson (24) - ???? - ????
Int----Treloar (31) - Langdon (26) - Phillips (28) - Adams (31)

I say our youth is boring, but this team looks pretty nice. This is a very ideal world though

Still not convinced Cal Brown can make it just by being quick and a good kcik that averages 10 disposals. Needs to add more dimension to his game.
Undecided on Daicos but left him in as more confident in him than Cal
Didnt include Reef or Daicos number 2 because thats not guaranteed yet

Thoughts?

Last edited:

I'm confident that Sidey will be still doing his thing.
i can see it happening. One of the quickest to 200 games ever, did it just after he turned 27 i think. But to be 100% realistic theres a good chance at 33 he wont be here

i can see it happening. One of the quickest to 200 games ever, did it just after he turned 27 i think. But to be 100% realistic theres a good chance at 33 he wont be here
I reckon Pendles has our games record covered and then Sidey will smash it, moving very high up the lost of AFL games record holders. Just seems to love being a footy player.

I reckon Pendles has our games record covered and then Sidey will smash it, moving very high up the lost of AFL games record holders. Just seems to love being a footy player.
interesting call. played 234 games
pendles on 301. probably gets to 350 i reckon. 2 more years
sidebottom would need 5 seasons at 24 ish games a year. its definitely possible.
geez id love to see both these blokes as 350+ game stalwarts of this club.

For some perspective ...

... and for a damn good belly laugh ...

... here’s our lineup from five years ago, round 23, 2014. We got belted by Hawthorn, who went on to become Premiers.

Key:

Blue = Traded from Collingwood
Red = Delisted from Collingwood
Green = Retired from Collingwood
Black = Still playing for Collingwood
Bold = Remains a regular player
Italics = Fringe player

FB: Jackson Ramsay Jack Frost Ben Sinclair
HB: Heritier Lumumba Lachlan Keeffe Tom Langdon
C: Alex Fasolo Scott Pendlebury Luke Ball
HF: Steele Sidebottom Corey Gault Jarryd Blair
F: Tyson Goldsack Jesse White Brodie Grundy
Fol: Jarryd Witts Josh Thomas Tim Broomhead
I/C Sam Dwyer Marley Williams Tony Armstrong
Sub Paul Seedsman

Admittedly, our current lineup is stronger than our 2014 lineup ...

... but if it’s any indication, in five years time we expect the changes from our round 23, 2019 team to be:

- around six delisted
- around seven traded out (four of whom to be still playing)
- around three to have retired as a Collingwood player
- around five to still be going around for Collingwood
- around one to be fringe of Collingwood

For some perspective ...

... here’s our lineup from five years ago, round 23, 2014. We got belted by Hawthorn, who went on to become Premiers.

Key:

Italics = Fringe player

Sub Paul Seedsman

So to apply this ...

- six delisted
- seven traded out (four of whom to be still playing)
- three to have retired as a Collingwood player
- five to still be going around for Collingwood
- one to be fringe of Collingwood

... to our team that played in the 2019 PF. Those that’ll be playing for us in five years time (black) who will have retired from us (Green), who will have been delisted by us (red) and who will have been traded out (blue)

Man, it’s a struggle ...

FB John Noble Jordan Roughead Jeremy Howe
HBJack Crisp Darcy Moore Brayden Maynard
C Tom Phillips Scott Pendlebury Steele Sidebottom
HF Josh ThomasBrody Mihocek Will Hoskin-Elliott
FF Jamie Elliott Ben Reid Jaidyn Stephenson
FOL Brodie Grundy Adam Treloar Taylor Adams
I/C James Aish Chris Mayne Callum L. Brown Rupert Wills

Last edited:
So to apply this ...

- six delisted
- seven traded out (four of whom to be still playing)
- three to have retired as a Collingwood player
- five to still be going around for Collingwood
- one to be fringe of Collingwood

... to our team that played in the 2019 PF. Those that’ll be playing for us in five years time (black) who will have retired from us (Green), who will have been delisted by us (red) and who will have been traded out (blue)

Man, it’s a struggle ...

FB John Noble Jordan Roughead Jeremy Howe
HBJack Crisp Darcy Moore Brayden Maynard
C Tom Phillips Scott Pendlebury Steele Sidebottom
HF Josh ThomasBrody Mihocek Will Hoskin-Elliott
FF Jamie Elliott Ben Reid Jaidyn Stephenson
FOL Brodie Grundy Adam Treloar Taylor Adams
I/C James Aish Chris Mayne Callum L. Brown Rupert Wills
you predict we will trade treloar grundy elliott and moore?
and dont forget de goey didnt play prelim.

and dont forget de goey didnt play prelim.

Some players were missing from that 2014 team too (eg: Taylor Adams) so it balances out.

you predict we will trade treloar grundy elliott and moore?

Like I said, it was really tough imposing the conditions of the last five years on the next five.

The flaw in my logic is that the retention patterns of a team that finished 11th would likely be a bit different to a team that lost a prelim. Maybe a better model would be to look at the retention patterns of the two teams who lost their 2014 Prelims.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

One thing that worries me is that the youth of this club just seems quite boring (i guess you could say) compared to other clubs. obviously weve been unlucky with drafting in terms of injuries and trading all our picks for 30 year olds, but where do you see our best 22 in 5 years time?

Players currently best 22 or getting regular games that definitely/most probably wont be there (and how old theyll be):
  • Pendlebury (36), Sidebottom (33), Howe (34), Cox (34), Beams (34), Greenwood (35), Elliott?? (32, injuries), Mayne (35), Roughead (33), Thomas (33), Varcoe (36)

Players who will be getting on, or arent great players who will last another 5 years without being replaced:
  • WHE (31), Crisp (31), Langdon (30), Mihocek (31), Treloar (31), Wills (31), Adams (31)
These 6 players i can see still around because obviously every club has experienced players, WHE would be the least likely of the 4. Injuries may get to Langdon. Mihocek had a late start to footy.

S here's my best 22 in 5 years time assuming we keep our young players (and scharenberg cause i rate him)
Ive left our a few of the unknown players (Tohill, Keane, Atu) because we have no idea if theyll make it or be delisted within 5 yrs
However contrary Ive added players like Will Kelly because Im more confident hell make it
I left out Appleby because I dont think hes going to last. Dont mind the kid but not sure if the club sees it that way

FF---- ???? - ???? - ????

I say our youth is boring, but this team looks pretty nice. This is a very ideal world though

Still not convinced Cal Brown can make it just by being quick and a good kcik that averages 10 disposals. Needs to add more dimension to his game.

Thoughts?
How many of those have signed 5 years deals this year?

For some perspective ...

Key:

Italics = Fringe player

Sub Paul Seedsman

Admittedly, our current lineup is stronger than our 2014 lineup ...

... but if it’s any indication, in five years time we expect the changes from our round 23, 2019 team to be:

- around six delisted
- around seven traded out (four of whom to be still playing)
- around three to have retired as a Collingwood player
- around five to still be going around for Collingwood
- around one to be fringe of Collingwood

It will be about the same in 5 years time. 5 years is an eternity is football terms.

It’s very problematic.

Best I think to guess which younger players might be one established locks within the side.

A little bit of mayo on potential and off you go.

Some dreams of players we’d (read I’d love to) get

B. M Scharenberg ~ W Kelly ~ T Langdon
HB. J Crisp ~ D Moore ~ B Maynard
C. S Sidebottom ~ J De Goey ~ J Stephenson
HF. N Murphy ~ J Lukosius ~ R McInnes
F. N Daicos ~ T Wilson ~ W Hoskin-Elliott
R. B Grundy (c) ~ B Sier ~ A Treloar
I. T Phillips ~ I Quaynor ~ T Brown ~ T Adams

Thoughts?
Jeremy Cameron should be in there

Thoughts?
Not sure if this is a serious thread or not when you dont have stevo in there hes also far from boring

Remove this Banner Ad

Back