List Mgmt. Predict the 2016 List Changes

Which players won't be on our list in 2017?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Agreed. He's probably the one (out of Riewoldt, Dempster) I'd be comfortable with phasing out right now. Riewoldt goes when he wants to, and since Marchbank doesn't seem on our radar we need Dempster to fill the void for another 12 months whilst we look for another long term KD.

Fisher, Curren, and Saunders are most definitely cooked. Murdoch should be also based on output. Holmes i think will get enough interest to be traded for better opportunity. Delaney should be gone but may get a rookie life line if we don't bring in another KPD cheapie for insurance (Brown, McKenzie). Shenton and Lee won't ever improve us, so I see no bother retaining either of them, but that'll bring 6 free main lists spots (I think we'll bring in 2 players via trade/FA, leaves us with 4 picks and without a 2nd rounder). 1 of Lee/Shenton will stay IMO.

I put up Joey's stats over on the trade thread and he's having a stellar year. Almost career best and probably our second most effective player stats wise. He's moved to a back pocket and is number 2 in the AFL for meters gained. If a kid can come in a compete with that we are in a good place. He should go on, he's been excellent and looks revitalised.

Montagna's output is fine, I'm not disputing that, but with the way its going we're going to lose all 3 at the same time at Rnd 23 next year (or fingers crossed in finals), when ideally they need to be staggered based on their sustained high performance.

I'm just talking in ideals. He's contracted and deserves to go on his own terms, which doesn't look like it'll be this year anyway. It won't kill the team, but it'll be a massive void to fill at once.

Montagna's output is fine, I'm not disputing that, but with the way its going we're going to lose all 3 at the same time at Rnd 23 next year (or fingers crossed in finals), when ideally they need to be staggered based on their sustained high performance.

I'm just talking in ideals. He's contracted and deserves to go on his own terms, which doesn't look like it'll be this year anyway. It won't kill the team, but it'll be a massive void to fill at once.

Fisher this year.
Roo and Dempster next year
Joey the year after.
Coincides with picking up some mature players via trade/FA to fill the void.
Unless they are still commanding a spot and we are pushing deep into September. I think Joey is the one most capable of playing the longest.

Joey didn't really get a look in until he was about 23 so I reckon he has the legs to keep going for a few more years. To me he's probably the most resilient and being the smallest he should naturally have less wear and tear. Shinner is still going well but last year he was still close to his AA quality apart from a few injuries that kept him out of games, this year he's not as dominant and I'm seeing age catching up to him. I reckon he will go around one more but I can see him starting to lose his spot by the end of the year. Rooey is a freak who's body is shot but his will to succeed pushes him on. I can't see him retiring any time soon but he's playing one serious injury from the end every game these days. Fishers hammies are telling him it's time.

Let's look at our current ruck stocks.

IMO we will retain all 4 ruckmen.

Hickey at present is our 1st choice ruck.

Longer is obviously more than capable as 1st choice, but is coming back from a shoulder reco and a concussion related injury. At this point in time nothing wrong with holding 2 very capable ruckmen on the list. Gives us time to work out which is better, adds depth, competition for spots etc.. and inevitably 1 will be traded unless they can play in the same 22.

That is the reason we hold onto Holmes. He is purely insurance and back up and he is obviously ahead of Pierce for the 1st choice ruck based on getting a game v the Tigers. I can only assume Pierce doesn't yet have the tank or strength to play a whole.AFL game.in the ruck.

Pierce is the developing ruckman on the list, we've put 4 years into him and signs are promising. I think we see him as a ruck/fwd option as he has been.played there at sandy a fair bit.

Fast forward 2 years and I'd say:
- 1 of Hickey or Longer will have been traded for more opportunity at another club.
- Pierce comes into the side whenever Paddy or Bruce are injured to play ruck/fwd.
- Holmes remains on the list purely as backup and insurance.
- We draft in another developing ruckman.
That"s what I would have thought as well. Can you keep Holmes on the rookie list but pay him much more than the base payments or does he have to moved on the the main list.

If that was possible I'd give him a 1 year rookie contract at an attractive base well above the current $55k mark.

If chips is going to retire the announcement must be real soon
If he can't get up and play the last game he might as well announce it now.

Does anyone else have a sneaky feeling that he thinks that he can go on for one more?
It would not surprise me if he is at the club next year as a listed player

Would be really disappointed if Sam Fisher doesn't retire & gets offered another contract. He's had 2 hamstring injuries this year, with one keeping him out from rounds 11-19, & then he missed last week & possibly this week with a minor tweak (total of missing 11 games out of 22).

I think its time to move on. Sam, you've been a great player for the club & I dont want you're career to end the way that Norf has handled Petrie, Dal, Boomer & Burrito

Would be really disappointed if Sam Fisher doesn't retire & gets offered another contract. He's had 2 hamstring injuries this year, with one keeping him out from rounds 11-19, & then he missed last week & possibly this week with a minor tweak (total of missing 11 games out of 22).

I think its time to move on. Sam, you've been a great player for the club & I dont want you're career to end the way that Norf has handled Petrie, Dal, Boomer & Burrito

Yeah I reckon he must know it's close to time. The strings are shot and he doesn't seem to have the same ability. If he goes around again it's because we have failed to address a replacement tall back. Carlisle is probably the guy that takes his position on field- I think he'll go do his restaurant.

It's interesting timing that nothing has been announced already. My feeling s it's going to be like Schneids...wait to see who we are going to trade in first and / or rookie list him for insurance.
Not saying that's the right thing, I agree with you. But I can't think of any other reason they would not have announced anythng by this stage.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Payne and Saunders will be gone. Holmes is probably gone (85%)

And 5 or 6 of Templeton, Lee, Delaney, Dempster, Fisher, Curren, Murdoch and Shenton are gone. Dempster stays, otherwise one of Delaney, Fisher or Lee get a lifeline. One of Templeton and Shents will be kept, depending on whether they think Eli is a part of our best 22 in the future, otherwise the immediate depth of Shenton will be preferred for another year.

I think Wright and Minchi have done enough for another year.

Payne Well, we already know that he's gone

Murdoch
Has never been able to find the footy at AFL level. Others have passed him.

Shenton
I'm an unabashed fan, and think he's great depth as a mature body who can plug a few different holes. His time may be, though.

Minchington
Has easily done enough to earn another year. He's slowly winning me over.

Templeton
Seems a little hard done by by the coaches to be honest. I wouldn't be surprised if he looked elsewhere for more opportunity.

Holmes
A few weeks ago I thougt he was a goner, but he isn't totally lost at AFL level. A wait and see, depending on other list changes.

Saunders
Was always lined up for delistment when he went to the rookie list. Too far down the pecking order to ever make it back.

Delaney
Like Shenton, I like him as depth. There's been some talk about him retiring, and the club might see that his time is up.

Wright
Has given himself a second life with a new role. Mid year he was a certain delist, but now he's definitely earned a contract.

Coughlan
No point having a player on the list for one year. Safe as houses.

O'Kearney
See above

Fisher
Time has caught up with the two time best and fairest winner. He was one of our most important players when we were competing, but his body has just about given up.

Dempster I'd rate him as our most important defender. Easily has a year or two in him.

Curren
Like Saunders, too many others have passed him. It's disappointing as he showed quite a bit early on.

Lee
Probably the toughest of the lot to place. We've invested a lot of resources into making him a backman but you can't say it's paid off yet. Do we give up? Do we hand him off to someone else? He could still offer something as a third tall forward somewhere

2 or 3 of the ambers will keep their spots. I'll be ****ed if I know who, though.

Murdoch would be a de-list you'd have to think. Gets little of the ball when in a team doing well and pretty much disappears when we are under the pump like in the Adelaide game. Great kick but his football ability unfortunately doesn't stack up.
Surely Brodes survives with the number of other guys who are well below.

Surely Brodes survives with the number of other guys who are well below.

The issue I have is the "well below" part of your sentence. If Brodie can only kick well but he never finds the ball enough to kick it, that is about as bad as it gets for an AFL player so I don't see many below him on our list to be honest.

The issue I have is the "well below" part of your sentence. If Brodie can only kick well but he never finds the ball enough to kick it, that is about as bad as it gets for an AFL player so I don't see many below him on our list to be honest.
Only 22 will be a perfect hbf fill in at Hawthorn after a year learning their systems.

Only 22 will be a perfect hbf fill in at Hawthorn after a year learning their systems.
Someone like Guerra with a great left foot like Brodie yes, but Goo had dominated senior games even though he was inconsistent so he clearly had ability. Can't see it in Brodie unfortunately.

Murdoch would be a de-list you'd have to think. Gets little of the ball when in a team doing well and pretty much disappears when we are under the pump like in the Adelaide game. Great kick but his football ability unfortunately doesn't stack up.
Murdochs disposal is certainly his strong suit, and I was a bit ambivalent about getting rid of him. Now after watching White play just one game I am all for delisting Murdoch as White has far more upside for a similar position.

Back