Predict the bottom four at the end of 2018

Which teams will be in the bottom four at the end of 2018?

• Adelaide

Votes: 14 1.6%
  • Brisbane

Votes: 531 60.4%
  • Carlton

Votes: 603 68.6%
  • Collingwood

Votes: 144 16.4%
  • Essendon

Votes: 26 3.0%
  • Fremantle

Votes: 208 23.7%
  • Geelong

Votes: 17 1.9%
  • Gold Coast

Votes: 698 79.4%
  • GWS

Votes: 9 1.0%
  • Hawthorn

Votes: 98 11.1%
  • Melbourne

Votes: 17 1.9%
  • North Melbourne

Votes: 702 79.9%
  • Port Adelaide

Votes: 16 1.8%
  • Richmond

Votes: 27 3.1%
  • St Kilda

Votes: 105 11.9%
  • Sydney

Votes: 13 1.5%
  • West Coast

Votes: 110 12.5%
  • Bulldogs

Votes: 61 6.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

So by this Pythagoras theory, Freo are expected to win around 5.3 games.

Bit of a weird theory as w have teams like the suns, roos, lions and blues as winnable home games.
Don't think this theory has gone head to head with Roby's beans yet so not sure how accurate it is

14. CARLTON
15. LIONS
16. FREO
17. ROOS
18. SUNS

Lions could easily finish higher than the Blues but I forsee it as being a fight between the two for 14th.

Freo and roos to win b/w 7 & 8 games while without Gaz I see the suns winning around 5.

For all these people suggesting the hawks I would like to know your reasons for thinking as much.

Even if we copped a horrendous injury run like last year I cannot see it happening.

Last year we were bottom 2 1/3 of the way through the season before the bad injury run had even started and still managed to climb to 11th.

I suspect the majority of you saying Hawthorn is purely out of wanting them to be bottom 4, which is totally understandable.

Self-explanatory. I wonder how many dinguses would have tipped Richmond had this thread been around 12 months ago. Probably quite a few.

I'm going for GC, North, Brisbane and Carlton. Supremely unimaginative, right?

Brisbane and Gold coast probably good picks for bottom 4. I don't see Carlton down there , I think they'll head upwards from now on. I think North could re gain a bit of form , its just sort of in them , Bulldogs could have a hangover from a hangover , and drop off.
I, being a Hawk am quietly confident that this year will be rather good, maybe not to the top , but I think the thoroughbred footballers we have already , and have recruited , and have developed at Box Hill will be able to play the Hawthorn way.
We are still an elite club, beware any giant killers it won't be easy.!

15th: West Coast - Not super confident about this one, but wanted go out on a limb with one of my choices.
16th: North Melbourne - They generally play well in Hobart which should help them avoid the bottom 2, but clearly a development year for them
17th: Carlton - No Gibbs or Docherty will hurt. I can see them more concerned about getting games into their young players than winning. 2019 will see them rise
18th: Gold Coast - All about development for them. They need to focus on keeping Lynch.

For all these people suggesting the hawks I would like to know your reasons for thinking as much.

Even if we copped a horrendous injury run like last year I cannot see it happening.

Last year we were bottom 2 1/3 of the way through the season before the bad injury run had even started and still managed to climb to 11th.

I suspect the majority of you saying Hawthorn is purely out of wanting them to be bottom 4, which is totally understandable.

outsiders view is your depth is poor as it should be having been so good for so long.

all your flag stars have peaked an were hurt large part of last year.

Carlton picked the hawks apart late last year, not a great sign going into 2018

I think WC will be the big slider this year.

I’d be pretty confident in predicting North, GC and Brisbane all finish bottom four again.
This could happen, new ground with zero home ground advantage plus lots of retirements.

outsiders view is your depth is poor as it should be having been so good for so long.

How can you say our depth is poor when we went from 2nd bottom in round 7 to 11th after round 23 and had 8 best 22 players missing for the majority of that time?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

How can you say our depth is poor when we went from 2nd bottom in round 7 to 11th after round 23 and had 8 best 22 players missing for the majority of that time?

carried by silk who is 35 an rough who is 30 doesn't really prove you have good depth. langford.howe are muh.

most teams have improved who finished below the hawks. have the hawks? big question marks on jager an birchall.frawley

When it comes to learning and improving even if you are an older player , Hawthorn does the lot,
they learn they perform and they are dangerous, forget about how far the best modern era club may fall, and start looking at how the up and comers may or may not reach any heights at all. We've done it, AND done it for a long time, even last year we set up some wins and came back a bit.
The year before we were a kick ofF beating Geelong , and in attack as well, and one game of a GF we would have taken Sydney to pieces that next week, they were shot any way. Nearly there but not good enough in the last minute kick.
Hawthorn never ever not look at problems and begin plans to over come them sometimes a long long way before a problem may occur, now I am not predicting anything here yet.
But I am saying Hawthorn will be amongst the top sides this season, and perhaps those who may have been expecting big years , well I see someone has put the WCE in the bottom four, I think Freo will again struggle along, lets hope its a good year.

For me (and I'm not sure you'll finish bottom 4) I just feel Hawthorn is the one side in the comp under the least pressure to win games right this very second.

Richmond and Bulldogs need to prove their wins weren't flukes, Geelong will have pressure to win with Ablett, Brisbane/Carlton will have pressure to win as their fans have been starved of it.

I'm sure Clarko and Kennett are more competitive than this but Hawthorn have the luxury of being able to blood youngsters let them learn to play as a team, not have to cling on to veterans like Hodge/Mitchell as they've had ridiculously good success recently. They have the luxury of being able to build a team for 2020 onwards, not 2018, and as such have the luxury of being able to cop a few losses as the new blood adjusts to the game as opposed to resorting to old hands to claw their way to 8-11th.

It's not that I don't rate your young talent, I seriously do, but just feel like 2017 was transition year for Hawthorn, 2018 is where the new players/culture adjusts and 2019 onwards is where wins start getting more vital. This is in contrast to say Collingwood, Bucks will be doing everything he can for the here and now but while Collingwood might get more wins than Hawthorn in 2018 I'd tip Hawthorn to be in front in 2 years time.

For me (and I'm not sure you'll finish bottom 4) I just feel Hawthorn is the one side in the comp under the least pressure to win games right this very second.

Richmond and Bulldogs need to prove their wins weren't flukes, Geelong will have pressure to win with Ablett, Brisbane/Carlton will have pressure to win as their fans have been starved of it.

I'm sure Clarko and Kennett are more competitive than this but Hawthorn have the luxury of being able to blood youngsters let them learn to play as a team, not have to cling on to veterans like Hodge/Mitchell as they've had ridiculously good success recently. They have the luxury of being able to build a team for 2020 onwards, not 2018, and as such have the luxury of being able to cop a few losses as the new blood adjusts to the game as opposed to resorting to old hands to claw their way to 8-11th.

It's not that I don't rate your young talent, I seriously do, but just feel like 2017 was transition year for Hawthorn, 2018 is where the new players/culture adjusts and 2019 onwards is where wins start getting more vital. This is in contrast to say Collingwood, Bucks will be doing everything he can for the here and now but while Collingwood might get more wins than Hawthorn in 2018 I'd tip Hawthorn to be in front in 2 years time.

Very good summation.

For me there are 3 sides in the comp this year who I honestly have no bloody idea where they will finish and that's:

1) Bulldogs
2) West Coast
3) Hawthorn

You could make a claim for all of them playing finals and also easily missing the 8. Going to be a fascinating season.

What is Hawthorn's young talent? Mitchell, JOM, Burton, Sicily, O'Brien and Impey (lol)?

Their best 22 in 2018 will be almost as good as anyone's as old hands Burgoyne, Birchall and Roughead remain to compliment the solid core, but the cliff we had a glimpse of in 2017 will be a reality in 2019 and beyond. There's not much coming through. I think the same fate awaits Geelong.

What is Hawthorn's young talent? Mitchell, JOM, Burton, Sicily, O'Brien and Impey (lol)?

Their best 22 in 2018 will be almost as good as anyone's as old hands Burgoyne, Birchall and Roughead remain to compliment the solid core, but the cliff we had a glimpse of in 2017 will be a reality in 2019 and beyond. There's not much coming through. I think the same fate awaits Geelong.

There are quite a few others we are very bullish about to be honest but yes unproven.

I feel Geelong are the one's who could fall off the cliff very quickly in a year or 2 but they are all in for 2018 and 2019 and would really want to take advantage now.

Possibly the Kennett factor might sway me to suggest Hawthorn will drop that low. Still haven't decided yet as I think most teams are capable of finishing bottom 4 this year including mine but that would be amongst my reasons.

R U f*&ing serious no Carlton there ? No Doughboy and Gibbs quit, I think you are suffering rose tinted glasses mate.
Why would i pick my own team to be bottom 4. Idiot. Even though I'm a carlton supporter I dont think we will be in the bottom 4. Just watch. It's not that big a stretch either as Sportsbet has carlton 4th favourite for least wins. Thus it's safe to say, being that IM A CARLTON SUPPORTER I can place my own team above 4th last with bloody ease.

Why would i pick my own team to be bottom 4. Idiot. Even though I'm a carlton supporter I dont think we will be in the bottom 4. Just watch. It's not that big a stretch either as Sportsbet has carlton 4th favourite for least wins. Thus it's safe to say, being that IM A CARLTON SUPPORTER I can place my own team above 4th last with bloody ease.

There is a difference between not wanting to finish bottom 4 and reality.

Back