Predict the bottom four at the end of 2018

Which teams will be in the bottom four at the end of 2018?

• Adelaide

Votes: 14 1.6%
  • Brisbane

Votes: 531 60.4%
  • Carlton

Votes: 603 68.6%
  • Collingwood

Votes: 144 16.4%
  • Essendon

Votes: 26 3.0%
  • Fremantle

Votes: 208 23.7%
  • Geelong

Votes: 17 1.9%
  • Gold Coast

Votes: 698 79.4%
  • GWS

Votes: 9 1.0%
  • Hawthorn

Votes: 98 11.1%
  • Melbourne

Votes: 17 1.9%
  • North Melbourne

Votes: 702 79.9%
  • Port Adelaide

Votes: 16 1.8%
  • Richmond

Votes: 27 3.1%
  • St Kilda

Votes: 105 11.9%
  • Sydney

Votes: 13 1.5%
  • West Coast

Votes: 110 12.5%
  • Bulldogs

Votes: 61 6.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

lol sorry mate I'm not a troll. I have been watching footy for nearly 30 years & its just my opinion, I'm not trying to be a smart ass. I seriously believe Nth will fully bottom out next year. There is bugger all depth & i don't rate a majority of the list. I think we will see some improvement from Gold Coast, Carlton, Freo & Brisbane. Unfortunately i think North will go backwards - especially with all of the de-listings.
Not a single game? Fair enough if you believe that, but you should console yourself now that you will be wrong.

Not a single game? Fair enough if you believe that, but you should console yourself now that you will be wrong.
Hey i hope i am wrong. Its not pleasant watching a team struggle - i watched my swannies win a bunch of wooden spoons in the early 90's. I'm not saying that i want it to happen but i am just saying that i can't picture them beating anyone.

Brisbane
Carlton
Hawthorn
North

Think the Suns will have a better year than most anticipate. Actually think losing Ablett may be a blessing in disguise.

Its time to start being honest about the Gold Coast.
The franchise team is doomed.
I think we all need to face this inevitable fact.

How long can this fiasco and pretence go on for?

I think the Eagles and the Hawks have real problems.
Care to elaborate on what you think Hawthorn’s real problems are? I’m curious.

They were the 6th best performed team in the second half of 2017.
Record against the Top 8 only bettered by Adelaide and Swans.
Second most prolific scoring side in the same period without Rioli, and with Gunston, Sicily and Burton playing as defenders to cover injuries.

Hawks definitely going bottom 4
Why?

I can't see Clarkson having this team near the bottom 4.
I’m still waiting for sonnywalters to outline the “real problems” Hawthorn have heading into 2018, and why they would “definitely going bottom 4” is equally intriguing?

Last edited:
I’m still waiting for sonnywalters to outline the “real problems” Hawthorn have heading into 2018, and why they would “definitely going bottom 4” is equally intriguing?
Ok, so here's what I think.
I don't see the Hawks improving. Brisbane and Carlton will be better. Maybe put them into definite bottom 6.

Gold Coast
North
Fremantle

Carlton
Brisbane
Hawks

Hey i hope i am wrong. Its not pleasant watching a team struggle - i watched my swannies win a bunch of wooden spoons in the early 90's. I'm not saying that i want it to happen but i am just saying that i can't picture them beating anyone.
We won 3 games with a team full of top ups and regarded before the season started as one of the worst teams ever and wouldn’t win a game. North will win 3-4 games minimum IMO

I don't see the Hawks improving. Brisbane and Carlton will be better. Maybe put them into definite bottom 6.

Gold Coast
North
Fremantle

Carlton
Brisbane
Hawks

Brisbane will be the surprize this year. Not into the 8, but 10-12

Think you're getting a bit confused with Brisbane.

They'll surprise and finish 10-12, but they're also part of a definite bottom 6?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I would guarantee it, I don't see a team who turned over 13 players making any strides on the W/L column the next season.

You've lost Gibbs who played very well last year and added potential to your midfield to replace him, which is an unknown (obviously made the right move but a step backwards to go two steps forward in the future)

Losing Docherty is a big big blow.

Your forward line is still potential and not yet experienced enough to make a consistent impact.

Backline is pretty good but the shallow midfield stocks the Blues currently possess isn't going to lend itself to winning games, the right moves were made during the trade period but they weren't made looking for immediate improvement in 2018.

The Blues are still gathering as much talent as they can, they aren't going to leave the bottom 4 next year.
Watch this space!

Gold Coast
North
Fremantle

Carlton
Brisbane
Hawks
I was kinda hoping for more detail as to how they would definitely fail and the reasons, other than you don't think they'll improve.

Hawks definitely going bottom 4
Clarkson has only coached hawthorn to a worse position than the previous year three times: 2010, 2016 and 2017. That’s across a 14 year career.

I think with the level of experimentation and new blood he brought through in 2017 that we will improve, or at the very least draw level

It seems trollish to be honest. Sure say we are going to finish last. But you think we are going to go from winning 6 games and losing 5 games by under a kick, to no games with a vastly better draw?

What off the back of delisting 4 guys that weren't really best 22 anymore (other than Gibson):

Come on man.

That must be a troll.

If not, wow.

I was kinda hoping for more detail as to how they would definitely fail and the reasons, other than you don't think they'll improve.
Ok, so have a look at last years ladder. Bottom spot 5 wins
Brisbane win two close games and up to 15th.

Collingwood WILL do better, they weren't that bad last year.
Carlton and Brisbane will potentially be on par or above the Hawks
What sides are going to drop below the Hawks from last season???

My picks are
18 Gold Coast
17 North
16 Fremantle
15 one of Hawks, Carlton or Brisbane.
upload_2017-11-25_22-46-26.png

It seems trollish to be honest. Sure say we are going to finish last. But you think we are going to go from winning 6 games and losing 5 games by under a kick, to no games with a vastly better draw?

What off the back of delisting 4 guys that weren't really best 22 anymore (other than Gibson):

Come on man.

That must be a troll.

If not, wow.
Sorry bro, read through my history of comments. I have never trolled anyone & do not like trolls. I just do not rate Nths list at all & honestly believe Nth will be the AFL's whipping boys next year.

Sorry bro, read through my history of comments. I have never trolled anyone & do not like trolls. I just do not rate Nths list at all & honestly believe Nth will be the AFL's whipping boys next year.
Fair play if you don't rate our list, i think most of us Roos supporters would say we have a bottom 4-6 year ahead as well.

Being the first winless team since 1964 however is a bold claim and seems pretty troll-ish.

Sure. That's fine. As I said last on the ladder. No issue with that.

But you said you couldn't see us winning a game for the whole year. When was he last time that happened in afl/vfl?

And you think that team will be north? That won 6 games and lost 5 by under a kick just this last season.

So round 1 v Gold Coast, without Ablett, their best and fairest winner and serial North killer, that finished below us in 2017, you can't even imagine a win here?

Nor round 3 when we play Melbourne who haven't beaten north for over a decade. Now unwinnable?

Our round 4 when we play Carlton, who we finished above and beat in 2017, a team that hasn't kicked 100 points in 32 games, without Gibbs and docherty, down in tassie where we rarely lose and Carlton have never played before. Really................?? you can't imagine North winning this game?

Round 11 we play the wooden spoon lions, they were the last game we played and we beat them at the Gabba by 10 goals. I honestly couldn't tell you how many years it's been since they beat us at Etihad. If I had to guess...2010.

Round 16 we play the Gold Coast again. This time at Etihad. A young team, with a first year coach approaching the end of their season. We beat them this year at Etihad and Ablett had 84 possessions. But unfortunately we will have zero chance this year.

Call me overly optimistic but I really do think we might fluke it and win just one of those games, or any other of the games we play next year.

Question. would u think it more likely that we win a game in 2018, or be 10.4.64 v 0.0.0 up at qrt time as we were against the grand finalsists earlier this year?

Sure. That's fine. As I said last on the ladder. No issue with that.

But you said you couldn't see us winning a game for the whole year. When was he last time that happened in afl/vfl?

And you think that team will be north? That won 6 games and lost 5 by under a kick just this last season.

So round 1 v Gold Coast, without Ablett, their best and fairest winner and serial North killer, that finished below us in 2017, you can't even imagine a win here?

Nor round 3 when we play Melbourne who haven't beaten north for over a decade. Now unwinnable?

Our round 4 when we play Carlton, who we finished above and beat in 2017, a team that hasn't kicked 100 points in 32 games, without Gibbs and docherty, down in tassie where we rarely lose and Carlton have never played before. Really................?? you can't imagine North winning this game?

Round 11 we play the wooden spoon lions, they were the last game we played and we beat them at the Gabba by 10 goals. I honestly couldn't tell you how many years it's been since they beat us at Etihad. If I had to guess...2010.

Round 16 we play the Gold Coast again. This time at Etihad. A young team, with a first year coach approaching the end of their season. We beat them this year at Etihad and Ablett had 84 possessions. But unfortunately we will have zero chance this year.

Call me overly optimistic but I really do think we might fluke it and win just one of those games, or any other of the games we play next year.

Question. would u think it more likely that we win a game in 2018, or be 10.4.64 v 0.0.0 up at qrt time as we were against the grand finalsists earlier this year?
Tell me this, when was the last time a team played in a grand final then started the following year 0-6? Never but it happened. Tell me did u think the tigers would win the flag this year? I bet not but it happened! Gold coast will play a good contested style of foity next year & will be a lot better than Nth. Especially if all players are fit. Melbourne should play finals next year & beat Nth. Carlton will still beat Nth as will Brisbane.

Back