Predict the future: when will our next finals appearance be?

When will we next make finals?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
You never know, out of lockdown by then, players will be all able to go to the barbers.

It will be a whole new look, no man buns, and head bands to adjust.

Opposition might have trouble with our identities.

year of the cat will get very excited with this idea...

Without some significant change in playing personnel, I don't see us making a major impact in 2022 though we should make the 8 :praying:

A new CEO and who knows what else might be new next season? :think:

We live in interesting footy times

Yeah, need to come back after the list management period is done - see who retires, gets traded out/traded in, etc.

I think the drop begins next year, but there's still enough quality, and the home ground advantage, there that I don't think it'll be a plummet. I suspect we'll finish 12th-7th. Whether or not we make finals also depends on how much improvement is coming from those teams below us as it's unlikely we'll be improving much. If we do make finals, it'll be a first-week exit, and then we won't be making them for several years after that.
Agreeing with a lot of your prognostications.
I doubt the coaching situation would alter that in any way, if there was a change.
And finishing 4th will again mean less favourable draft options.
It is forlorn looking at present, but with Geelong, there ALWAYS seems to be something to look forward to.

Who cares - not interested in making the finals until weve got a youthful completely different team

I reckon they are doing a hell of alot of damage to the brand of Geel footy club - making the finals - and losing so often - and in pretty meek fashion

Ican remember many years back Eddie McGUIRE ( and it was a cheapshot by Eddie but he was right ) he said that you would pray to play Geel in the finals - well that has gone full circle and is back in vogue - and you would add Pt Ade to the wish list as well

Ask a Suns/Freo/Saints/Dons supporter ( clubs who have missed finals for many years ) who they would like to play in the finals - theyd only nominate 2 teams Geel and Pt Ade - thats nothing those 2 clubs can be proud of

Probably need to revisit this after the draft period... to see what we do. Do we trade off picks for someone like Sidebottom or use them in some form to accumulate youthful talent
Surely even Geelong isn't suicidal enough to trade for yet another washed up import?

If we don't use our remaining picks the mob will be at the gates with pitchforks I think.

Geeninthlong, big fall next year, midfield is dead and buried. Have a look at Dogs and Dees mids, reminds me of Cats 2007.

Surely even Geelong isn't suicidal enough to trade for yet another washed up import?

If we don't use our remaining picks the mob will be at the gates with pitchforks I think.

What we thinking on Easter Island when they were down to ten trees? Stop? Or why stop now? What about down to the last few Dodo's... What did the do to Galileo when he said the earth revolved around the sun?... they called him a heretic and locked him up and we have religious nuts that see covid as a sign from god ... believes often over rule logic.

suicidal? Who knows but I think what we are is something like a container ship that is loaded and can not be turned around quickly. For some im sure it is easier to keep going.

We will play finals next year and the year after, as we will be cashed up to get a couple of players.... Will not take much to keep us in or around the 8

We should absolutely make finals next year. Stewart back, hopefully fewer injury interruptions to Cameron and Duncan

I wouldn't be so confident of this happening.

There is much more development and improvement coming from teams who missed the eight this year. Then you have to account for those already there. At least half of which will play finals again.

We got exposed in this finals. It was much more than a quick fix with Stewart back and healthy, and no injuries to Duncan or Cameron.
You then have the more concerning issue surrounding the lop sided age of the team. Players will decline next year. Some of them will break down with injuries.
I am also unsure our back-line can hold up any longer. Defensively, they've always been stout and kept teams from scoring but this midfield is starting to fall away, and we have seen what our back line looks like when it sees repeated entries.

The main thing that makes me less bullish than others in this thread about our chances of making finals is our midfield. Towards the end of the season it became apparent that we were dropping off alarmingly in that area, and all the signs point in the direction of that trend continuing next season.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The main thing that makes me less bullish than others in this thread about our chances of making finals is our midfield. Towards the end of the season it became apparent that we were dropping off alarmingly in that area, and all the signs point in the direction of that trend continuing next season.
Old legs dropping off. I expect the same next year. We will start strong, win our games at Goomba, get to late in the season either top 4 or just outside of it, then have a few "shock" losses before limping into finals.
Just like this year. Just like last year. Just like 2018.

I wouldn't be so confident of this happening.

There is much more development and improvement coming from teams who missed the eight this year. Then you have to account for those already there. At least half of which will play finals again.

We got exposed in this finals. It was much more than a quick fix with Stewart back and healthy, and no injuries to Duncan or Cameron.
You then have the more concerning issue surrounding the lop sided age of the team. Players will decline next year. Some of them will break down with injuries.
I am also unsure our back-line can hold up any longer. Defensively, they've always been stout and kept teams from scoring but this midfield is starting to fall away, and we have seen what our back line looks like when it sees repeated entries.
Which ones would you say have been stout? Mental image of Stuart Dew in our back-line... 😉

It really doesn’t matter, Scott’s game plan will get destroyed in finals again, who in their right mind thinks that a slow keepings off game style works in finals when you have someone sitting up your clacker

If we make finals next year, it'll be by scraping into the 8. Just remember the AFL will make sure we meet the other Top 8 (from this year) teams twice in next year's fixtures. There won't be too many easy wins even at home.

Who cares, maybe this is the clubs issue at the moment. Too much complaining going on.
We had the 5th hardest fixture (champion data) this season.

It will be next year. We don’t just get Cameron and Smith and say yeah nah let’s rebuild now.
We will have a massive crack next year but like everyone else, I’m not convinced it’ll be much different to this year or the other years gone by.
Staying injury free is a huge part of having a successful year but even still if another club is fit come finals like the Dees are this year it will always be tough.

We are in for some interesting years ahead one way or another.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back