Vic Predict the outcome of the 2018 Victorian State Election

TimmeT

Premiership Player
Mar 28, 2017
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Bracks signed the papers to approve funding. If the Libs had the powers to turn the unions into paper tigers like you claim, nothing would have stopped them from exercising said powers in any of the three years it took to build the plant.

But I like where this conversation is going, do tell how unions sometimes make workplaces more dangerous than they ought to be.
No not correct as the contract was signed by Justin Madden in 09 under the Labor government. Lib therefore would have had to break the contractual agreement in order to change.

No not correct as the contract was signed by Justin Madden in 09 under the Labor government. Lib therefore would have had to break the contractual agreement in order to change.
What was in the contractual agreement at the desal plant that allowed unions to run amok?

TimmeT

Premiership Player
Mar 28, 2017
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
What was in the contractual agreement at the desal plant that allowed unions to run amok?
I am not privy to the exact commercial details in the contract between the Victorian Government and the Desalination Plant company, however they were very easily able to delay the project and operate in a manner which delayed the project and ended up resulting in workers on the site who were overwhelmingly union members being able to receive more pay from the project as a result.

The CFMEU disliked the agreements in the East West Link contracts because they stopped this type of behaviour from happening and thus it was not beneficial to members or the union managers.

I am not privy to the exact commercial details in the contract between the Victorian Government and the Desalination Plant company, however they were very easily able to delay the project and operate in a manner which delayed the project and ended up resulting in workers on the site who were overwhelmingly union members being able to receive more pay from the project as a result.

The CFMEU disliked the agreements in the East West Link contracts because they stopped this type of behaviour from happening and thus it was not beneficial to members or the union managers.
What contractual clause or stipulation between the head contractor and the state government should have been in place on the desal plant, that wasn't? And was this same stipulation going to be on EW Link?' I'm very interested to know how the head contract agreement can be used to dictate the terms of which subcontractors are engaged beyond demanding they operate within the letter of the law.

TimmeT

Premiership Player
Mar 28, 2017
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
What contractual clause or stipulation between the head contractor and the state government should have been in place on the desal plant, that wasn't? And was this same stipulation going to be on EW Link?' I'm very interested to know how the head contract agreement can be used to dictate the terms of which subcontractors are engaged beyond demanding they operate within the letter of the law.
If the government implementing the Desal proj has put rules in place which prevented organisations doing favourable deals with unions like Lendlease had done it would have mitigated the problems caused by the CFMEU. There was loads of evidence around about how organisations like the CFMEU had made deals with companies to get their member on the project and then played tricks to ensure that they took the construction company for everything they could.

If the government implementing the Desal proj has put rules in place which prevented organisations doing favourable deals with unions like Lendlease had done it would have mitigated the problems caused by the CFMEU. There was loads of evidence around about how organisations like the CFMEU had made deals with companies to get their member on the project and then played tricks to ensure that they took the construction company for everything they could.
The CFMEU has done that for 40 years and is still doing it right now. The special Napthine building code was nothing more than safeguarding freedom of association in the hope that the black caps weren't going to be able to sign up the entire workforce. If that's what you're referring to as the magic clause in the contract, it's not the magic bullet you're hoping it would be. The 2016 spec ABCC is the strongest tool we've had since workchoices and it still doesn't stop unions from organising on a work site.

Jan 12, 2011
AFL Club
Collingwood
Docb-G9UwAEkQY2.jpg

Jascave

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 17, 2005
Sandringham
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Hampton Rovers
Anyone want to take a stab on what time the election results will be called by ABC election analyst Anthony Green on November 24?

Herne Hill Hammer

Cancelled
10k Posts
Jun 22, 2008
AFL Club
Geelong

Crime rate drops to 10 year low yet the point marked on the graph is higher than at any point during the 4 years it's indicated the Libs were in power. Everyone knows that both governments put out bullshit figures too, with selective releases and omissions.

How much do you get paid to put this rubbish up? At least give us something credible rather than something my 11 year old could knock up in half an hour.

Bunkdar

All Australian
Aug 29, 2018
AFL Club
GWS
It worries me that the most progressive state government in the country is running a law and order campaign
Hate them or love them.... the law enforcement institution is doing their job. They will fight 2 crawl ever further up our ass
The worry for me is there seems 2 be no counter balance ?
This s**t is fast tracking fascism

Back