Marnus Labuschagne *
Kurt Patterson
Alex Carey +
Pat Cummins
Jhye Richardson
Josh Hazelwood
Nathan Lyon

the above side is good.

always difficult to predict a side in 3 years time.

the captaincy choice was interesting and glad to see no wannabe allrounder type in there.

someone not yet playing first class cricket could well be playing by then.

i think warner, khawaja and paine won't be about in the long form by then.

the likes of s.marsh and siddle have probably played their last test.

lyon may not be there if his form wanes and an up and comer is on the scene.

some players to watch may be;
bryce street
lloyd pope
josh phillippe
riley meredith
jack wildermuth
and anyone from NSW :)

I reasonably think Lyon could keep on going for a good five or six years, spinners tend to keep on going later in their careers and his injury record is almost completely clear.

Massive crystal ball gazing here but I could plausibly see something like this:

Renshaw
Patterson (thinking they may look to Simon Katich him one day)
Labuschagne
Smith
Head (C)
Pucovski
Carey (WK)
Green
Cummins
Richardson
Lyon

Players like Philippe, Street, Sangha, Pope and even young Liam Scott from the U19s may well also be named to watch

Bryce Street
Marcus Harris/Matt Reshaw (any opener really, not sure there is a second opener)
Marnus Laubasghne
Steve Smith
Will Pucovski
Keeper TBD (Not sure, could be literally 5 options)
Cameron Green
Pat Cummins
Jye Richardson
Ryley Meridith
Nathan Lyon

These sorts of forecasts are always difficult, the temptation is to make bold calls but, unless there's massive disappointment in the 21/22 Ashes Series I'd expect them to be conservative.

1. Maddinson
2. Bancroft
3. Labuschange (c)
4. Smith
5. Pucovski
6. Patterson
7. Alex Carey (wk)
8. Cummins
9. Pattinson/Starc
10. Hazelwood
11. Lyon

12th J. Richardson

Plenty to keep an eye out for but I think this will roughly be the core I'd be thinking. If he hasn't been sacked by the 21/22 Ashes I'd expect Warner to go until then and retire.

The interesting question will be who our bowlers will be come the 2023 Ashes Series as the above listed core will be retiring off around then (with a good injury run that is)

Wouldn’t be surprised if Warner is still playing in three years time tbh. He’d need improve back to his former level soon and he’d be right at the end but I wouldn’t be surprised.

The other opener really is a dogs breakfast. You just expect every other option to fail. Perhaps someone who bats three or four for their state. Pucovski looks semi likely if he doesn’t secure a spot in the middle order first.

Labuschagne and Smith look the only ones overly likely in the top six really. Look for the selectors to pick the next Mitch Marsh but hopefully more like the next Shane Watson. I reckon Head will be there too.

Hazlewood will still be playing in 2022 and is quality. He’ll be 31 in 2022. Old for a fast bowler sort of but plenty have played longer.

I think we’ll have better options than Starc and especially Pattinson by 2022. Starc isn’t the red ball bowler he is white ball bowler and Pattinson isn’t the bowler he was - both are a bit older than Hazlewood. Cummins and J.Richardson will be better in three years.

Not much competition for Carey or Lyon that I can see at this stage but things change quick.

Will be a bit of an ageing side if guys in their early 20s currently don’t step up rather quickly.

Bryce Street
Marcus Harris/Matt Reshaw (any opener really, not sure there is a second opener)
Marnus Laubasghne
Steve Smith
Will Pucovski
Keeper TBD (Not sure, could be literally 5 options)
Cameron Green
Pat Cummins
Jye Richardson
Ryley Meridith
Nathan Lyon

cameron green would want to be a superstar then.
we've never had our keeper permanently lock down a #6 spot.
gilly is one out of the box and would've been able to, but we were blessed with the side we had.
haddin was our next best batsman-keeper and averaged 33 and couldn't and he's a better batsman than the current crop of keepers on the scene.

anyways, it would be interesting if this was the set up.

the successful aussie sides have always had the template of picking your 6 best bats, keeper and 4 bowlers.
it's a bonus if one of the top 6 can roll the arm over in need.

Joe Burns
Nic Maddinson
Marnus Labuschagne
Steve Smith
Will Pucovski
Matthew Wade (c)
Alex Carey (+)
Patrick Cummins
Torz junior
Nick Winter
Nathan Lyon

They need to stick fat with Burns. Winter is a bit out there but he's a good bowler and balances out with the other two well. Lyon has at least another 4 or 5 left in him IMO

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Nick Winter is already 26 so he'd need to keep his performances top notch for selectors to even consider him

1. Bryce Street
2. Henry Hunt
3. Marnus Lasagne
4. Peter Devereux
5. Will Pucovski
6. Alex Carey +
Cameron Green
8. Blue Steel Cummins
9. Jhye Richardson (provided his shoulder recovers well, if not perhaps Sutherland)
10. Nathan Lyon
11. Josh Hazelwood

12. Fraser-McGurk/Head
13. Lloyd Pope

Picked 2 12th men as I wanted 1 bowler and 1 batsmen who're just out of the side. Pope is probably the future in terms of spinners imo so I've given him the nod depending where Lyon is at at age 34 odd. It's early for F&M to get picked on merit so I've put Head there as well.

Picking the batsmen is a bit speculative as even the solid young player (Pucovski) is no guarantee to play much international cricket given his issues.
The openers are especially hard. We're already light on them now so who knows where we'll be in 3 yrs, it's probably my most speculative position.
The only lock is Smith. Lasagne will probably be there too but he's not fully cemented yet in my 11. His lack of 100s is concerning, 50s are good but 100s win matches. How many games does Joe Root win for England? If Pucovski can manage his demons I think he's already in the team now, so he's selected based on his mind coming good.

I've also put Carey in at no.6 instead of the traditional no.7. We seem to have an obsession with playing an all-rounder so I've picked Green as the future in that spot, but I reckon Carey will be a better batsman than him and there is a trend in the modern game of keepers creeping up the order so I don't have a problem slotting him in at 6.

The bowlers are fairly easy imo, we're fortunate in that we have so many.

For the first time in a long time there is a decent chunk of batting talent coming through, but they are all still a long way from the finish product. Obviously Pucovski is the top of the pyramid there, but has well documented off field issues that hopefully he can sort through.

It's early days - and in some cases very early days - for some of these guys and their performances at domestic level have been a mixed bag (which is standard for young batsmen) but between Pucovski, Jake Fraser-McGurk, Jack Edwards, Jason Sangha, Bryce Street, Cameron Green (more bowling all rounder admittedly) and a couple of others it feels like there is something to work with. We've also got some guys with internal experience who are still young for cricketers - Marnus Labuschagne, Travis Head, Matt Renshaw, Kurtis Patterson are all 26 and under.

I don't think it's going to be a return to the glory days of the 90s and 2000s, but it's probably the best placed we've been since the batsmen of that generation started retiring in the mid to late 2000's and it became very apparent very quickly that the guys coming through were a long way short of that standard, and ultimately were mostly propped up by the younger ones from those glory days (i.e. Clarke, Hussey, Katich, Rogers).

As well all know, it's a long way from converting talent into actual test match performances so there is a hell of a lot of water to go under the bridge.

What concerns me more is by international standards, the batting in the 25+ age group is still poor so these younger guys aren't going to have much guidance which could be a significant issue in their development.

Last edited:
For the first time in a long time there is a decent chunk of batting talent coming through, but they are all still a long way from the finish product. Obviously Pucovski is the top of the pyramid there, but has well documented off field issues that hopefully he can sort through.

It's early days - and in some cases very early days - for some of these guys and their performances at domestic level have been a mixed bag (which is standard for young batsmen) but between Pucovski, Jake Fraser-McGurk, Jack Edwards, Jason Sangha, Bryce Street, Cameron Green (more bowling all rounder admittedly) and a couple of others it feels like there is something to work with. We've also got some guys with internal experience who are still young for cricketers - Marnus Labuschagne, Travis Head, Matt Renshaw, Kurtis Patterson are all 26 and under.

I don't think it's going to be a return to the glory days of the 90s and 2000s, but it's probably the best placed we've been since the batsmen of that generation started retiring in the mid to late 2000's and it became very apparent very quickly that the guys coming through were a long way short of that standard, and ultimately were mostly propped up by the younger ones from those glory days (i.e. Clarke, Hussey, Katich, Rogers).

As well all know, it's a long way from converting talent into actual test match performances so there is a hell of a lot of water to go under the bridge.

What concerns me more is by international standards, the batting in the 25+ age group is still poor so these younger guys aren't going to have much guidance which could be a significant issue in their development.

let's hope all these young guys can apply themselves and be able to dig in and bat for a day.

that's whats currently missing and becoming an issue with so much 20/20 cricket.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back