Predict the test side in 3 years

Remove this Banner Ad

The test side 3 years ago to the day: (interesting)
D.Warner
M.Renshaw
U.Khawaja
S.Smith
P.Handscomb
N.Maddinson
M.Wade
M.Starc
N.Lyon
J.Hazlewood
J.Bird

That summer we also played:
J.Burns
S.Marsh
A.Voges
C.Ferguson
M.Marsh
H.Cartwright
P.Nevill
S.O'Keefe
P.Siddle
J.Mennie

Last edited:
Cummins is 26
Hazlewood is about to turn 29
Starc will turn 30 this summer

Cummins and Hazlewood will still be in their absolute prime for fast bowlers.
Barring injury Starc will still be in the frame.

So unlikely the quicks change too much, unless we unearth another legitimate good young fast bowler, as I think most of these guys will/are remain better than anyone currently 24+ years old in the shield.

I can't see Lyon going anywhere, he's durable as hell and has gotten better with age and experience.

Jhye Richardson and Pattinson are the obvious two to come in due to injury or conditions. I think Richardson is likely to be a big player in the next away Ashes series. Cameron Green is the likely best young prospect.

I think from a batting lineup perspective Pucovski, Street and Green will be the real names to watch over the next 3 years. I wouldn't be surprised if Maddinson had a Hussey-esque back half of his career test revival. Mental health permitting.

Street likely to be Warners replacement when the time comes.

I think Pucovski will be straight in for Wade/Head once he overcomes his mental issues.

Cameron Green may be the best all-rounding prospect we've had in decades and that includes Shane Watson. He looks like legitimately the best young bowling prospect in the shield and a guy that has the potential to average 35+ with the bat. It will be interesting to see how CA nurture him and whether he can improve his batting enough to look at playing #5.

Cummins is 26

So unlikely the quicks change too much, unless we unearth another legitimate good young fast bowler, as I think most of these guys will/are remain better than anyone currently 24+ years old in the shield.

I can't see Lyon going anywhere, he's durable as hell and has gotten better with age and experience.

Jhye Richardson and Pattinson are the obvious two to come in due to injury or conditions. I think Richardson is likely to be a big player in the next away Ashes series. Cameron Green is the likely best young prospect.

I think from a batting lineup perspective Pucovski, Street and Green will be the real names to watch over the next 3 years. I wouldn't be surprised if Maddinson had a Hussey-esque back half of his career test revival. Mental health permitting.

Street likely to be Warners replacement when the time comes.

I think Pucovski will be straight in for Wade/Head once he overcomes his mental issues.

Cameron Green may be the best all-rounding prospect we've had in decades and that includes Shane Watson. He looks like legitimately the best young bowling prospect in the shield and a guy that has the potential to average 35+ with the bat. It will be interesting to see how CA nurture him and whether he can improve his batting enough to look at playing #5.

People forget just how good Watson was at Shield level before injuries meant he lost a yard of pace. Let’s wait until Green plays test cricket until we make calls on him vs Watson.

The other thing about Watson is that the last three years of his test career were rubbish for a player of his ability (bar 2013/14 Ashes). If he’d performed like he did the previous three years he’d be one of the country’s greats.

Pretty self-explanatory.

Matt Renshaw
Nick Maddinson
Will Pukovski
Steve Smith
Marnus Labuschagne *
Kurt Patterson
Alex Carey +
Pat Cummins
Jhye Richardson
Josh Hazelwood
Nathan Lyon
Like this side tbh but don't think Maddinson will be there. Lyon is 5050 but we don't really have a spinner banging the door down atm

No idea who replaces Maddinson in this. Maybe Head stays in and someone else opens

I think people are overrating Green's batting at this point honestly
Yep. He's a hell of a talent and definitely a nice prospect but as it stands now being a test top 6 with a 35+ average is a long way off. It may happen, but at the moment to suggest so would be very speculative.

How he fits into a test team is going to the tricky one - as it often is with bowling all rounders. Unless of course his bowling to continues to improve and he becomes a genuine top 3 seamer in the country then he'll just slot in at #8 (or potentially #7 with the keeper at #8), but those pace bowling positions are very competitive at the moment and not showing any signs of abating.

If his bowling peaks just short of what's required for a front line test pace bowler then that's when it will get tricky for the selectors, and even more so if our batting doesn't improve. Michael Neser currently finds himself in this position now, and previous to him it was James Faulkner, Andrew McDonald and James Hopes who found themselves unable to solidify this awkward position in the team (Or even get a shot in the case of Hopes).

At 20 years of age and still pretty raw (to borrow a football term), he's probably a couple of years off the test team in any role. However, I wouldn't be surprised to see him in Australian colours getting international exposure next summer through the ODI's or T20I's.

He'll be one to follow for sure.

Last edited:
Fwiw, I could see something like this in 3 years time;

Marcus Harris
Joe Burns
Marnus Labushagne
Steve Smith
Travis Head
Kurtis Patterson
Wicket keeper (Alex Carey the incumbent but Harper, Inglis will ome with a hurry imho)
Pat Cummins
Nathan Lyon

Those two fast bowling spots will come down to interpretation of who is in form and fit. Starc, Hazelwood, Pattinson will all be 33+ in 3 years time, we may very well see a young guy come through but it will more than likely be someone already doing well at Shield level. Riley Meredith, Cam Green, Mark Steketee, Matt Kelly (WA) perhaps.

Fwiw, I could see something like this in 3 years time;

Marcus Harris
Joe Burns
Marnus Labushagne
Steve Smith
Travis Head
Kurtis Patterson
Wicket keeper (Alex Carey the incumbent but Harper, Inglis will ome with a hurry imho)
Pat Cummins
Nathan Lyon

Those two fast bowling spots will come down to interpretation of who is in form and fit. Starc, Hazelwood, Pattinson will all be 33+ in 3 years time, we may very well see a young guy come through but it will more than likely be someone already doing well at Shield level. Riley Meredith, Cam Green, Mark Steketee, Matt Kelly (WA) perhaps.

Weatherald
Harris
Pucovski
Lamberchagne (C)
Smith
Head
Carey / Phillipe
Cummins
Starc / Richarson / Meredith
Hazelwood
Lyon

Weatherald
Harris
Pucovski
Lamberchagne (C)
Smith
Head
Carey / Phillipe
Cummins
Starc / Richarson / Meredith
Hazelwood
Lyon

Weatherald is such a tease. He looked ready to debut in the T20i/ODI sides last summer but barely made a run in any format this summer.

I like what Puckovski could be but at the moment, these mental health issues are seriously holding him back to the point I’m not sure he’ll ever reach the heights he is destined for.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Cummins is 26

Pattinson is the same age as Starc. Already 29. What a career he should have had, disappointing we will never see what should have been after that maiden tearaway 5 - fa in the second test against the Kiwi's 8 long years ago at the Gabba as a 21 year old.

So he bats at 4 now, you see him moving up the order before down as he gets to his latter years, yeah ok..

he may well bat @ 3 as a one off if marnus gets injured in the near future , especially if usman ain't pressing hard for a spot.
but i see him batting @ 4 pretty much (unless we employ a nightwatchman from time to time :)

Warner
Renshaw
Labuschange
Smith
Pucovski
Green
Carey
Cummins
Hazelwood
Richardson
Lyon

Yep pretty much mine although I have a severe question on Pucovski, and it's not his talent. I want to see him playing 2 seasons for Victoria with no problems before selecting him.

I'd have Bryce Street as opener not Renshaw who flat out should be dropped right now

Yep pretty much mine although I have a severe question on Pucovski, and it's not his talent. I want to see him playing 2 seasons for Victoria with no problems before selecting him.

I'd have Bryce Street as opener not Renshaw who flat out should be dropped right now
Renshaw has more runs on the board and is still young enough to turn it around

Renshaw has more runs on the board and is still young enough to turn it around

Possibly but I'm not convinced Renshaw can. 20 and out won't cut it. Needs sometime away to refresh at the worst, or put him down the order.

Keeper is also a query, Carey seems the obvious but his keeping is poor at best

Warner
Burns
Labuschagne
Smith
Pucovski
Green/Carey
Green/Carey
Cummins
Starc
Lyon
Hazlewood

Street to open if Warner retired, Richardson and Patterson back up quicks, Head back up bat and if Lyon retires I have NFI

Sadly I think these guys are going to struggle with their mental health their entire careers. A great shame because I agree they are two of the premier talents we have at the moment.
Yeh. Especially Pukovski, looks like he has such a rounded game for someone so young.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back