Predicted number 1 pick reportedly tells West Coast he doesn't want to play for them

Should the #1 pick be required to move interstate if the bottom team isn't from his home state?

• Yes

Votes: 226 86.6%
  • No

Votes: 35 13.4%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

sexyhunk

Club Legend
Oct 5, 2004
melb
AFL Club
Geelong
maybe add an extra year to the first year contract? is it only 2 years now for the standard draftee contract?

GhostofJimJess

Brownlow Medallist
Jan 14, 2002
AFL Club
Richmond
I said this on the Tigers board, and I reckon most agreed, that notwithstanding their rubbish onfield performances atm, why wouldn't you want to go to West Coast? They're a massive club with 100k+ members, more wealth than even us or Collingwood, a traditional footy state, and let's face it they're never down for too long.

And when they go, they tend to go big - have West Coast ever gone for a player's full career at the club without getting them a flag?

bzparkes

Cocker spaniel Wielder
May 2, 2006
Brisbane
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
East Fremantle
They entered the draft under the condition set out. Horne Francis has set a precedent, now it looks like a lot of these young blokes want to pick and choose. What's going on? It's been an even season except for two teams, i think Hawthorn has done better than i thought, but is still years away from making the 8 again. Reid will end up at North if he doesn't go to the Eagles, but the future of West Coast is assured, i wonder where North will be in 5 years' time? He needs to have a long hard look at this.
Horn-Francis didn't set the precedent at all.

It's like people have forgotten about Scully/Boyd already.

Then there's Schache.

bzparkes

Cocker spaniel Wielder
May 2, 2006
Brisbane
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
East Fremantle
I said this on the Tigers board, and I reckon most agreed, that notwithstanding their rubbish onfield performances atm, why wouldn't you want to go to West Coast? They're a massive club with 100k+ members, more wealth than even us or Collingwood, a traditional footy state, and let's face it they're never down for too long.

And when they go, they tend to go big - have West Coast ever gone for a player's full career at the club without getting them a flag?
Good point on the last.

In fact, I believe there's only been 3 players who played over 150 games for WCE who haven't played in a flag.

They were the 3 from 2018 - NN, Sheppard and Gaff.

If you make it to 150 games for WCE, you have a very strong chance of being a premiership player.

jakson68

Club Legend
Jun 3, 2008
Port Noarlunga
AFL Club
Collingwood
None of us really know if it is true, though if it is, it is disappointing.
These spoilt kids should be grateful of the opportunities they get, instead of thinking their sh1t don't stink and making demands to go where they want (yes JHF, Olly Henrey and others I'm looking at you).
Make it 3 or 4 years initial contracts and also allow clubs to move players to wherever they like.
Players get it too good and take their luxuries for granted.
Maybe pay them a bit more but give some of the power back to the clubs.

Philhawk

Delicious
Sep 11, 2005
Sydney
AFL Club
Hawthorn
The kid is actually in a fortunate position that it looks likely that it's West Coast who'll nab him.

100k members, second most successful team in AFL era, great track record developing kids.

He's bloody lucky it's not GC, Carlton or North with the pick, given their last few decades.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

bzparkes

Cocker spaniel Wielder
May 2, 2006
Brisbane
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
East Fremantle
No, he just flat out told GWS he wouldn’t go there if he drafted them. Sheezel was a lot more subtle last year.
Yeah but I think the point being made here is players requesting a trade the year after being drafted.

My Tilly

Premium Gold
Jun 30, 2018
AFL Club
Geelong
He's bloody lucky it's not GC, Carlton or North with the pick, given their last few decades.

West Coast only have a handful of quality youngsters. Most of the older players will be retiring so they could be in a poor state for at least 5 more years.
Reid will be walking into a club where he is the number one player in the team and he's going to get pummeled on a weekly basis. Not a lucky situation at all.
Probably the worst timing for any number 1 pick since Jack Watts & Tom Scully walking into a basket-case over at Melbourne.

bzparkes

Cocker spaniel Wielder
May 2, 2006
Brisbane
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
East Fremantle
West Coast only have a handful of quality youngsters. Most of the older players will be retiring so they could be in a poor state for at least 5 more years.
Reid will be walking into a club where he is the number one player in the team and he's going to get pummeled on a weekly basis. Not a lucky situation at all.
Probably the worst timing for any number 1 pick since Jack Watts & Tom Scully walking into a basket-case over at Melbourne.
Oscar Allen's the no.1 player in the team mate.

There's a number of mature bodies still around to take the hits and the club isn't a complete basket-case off field, like Melbourne were when those blokes were drafted.

If you go number 1, you're usually going to end up at the worst team.

This isn't any different for Reid.

The Vic media + Cornes continually pissing on about it is laughable.

Back