Prediction - Gold Coast Suns will fold by end of 2022 season.

Remove this Banner Ad

I just heard Jono Brown say on the GG / Port telecast that the locals (on the GC) want the Suns to succeed, or even to be competitive.
Build it and they will come he says.

But as a born and raised Queenslander, I can tell you this........Queenslanders are notoriously fickle. More so than most other states
They will turn up when the local club/national side is winning, and simply wont be bothered when they are not.

You only have to go back 4 or 5 years, and the crowds at the Lions games were practically non-existent.
Seems like everyone in Brisbane is now a Lions supporter

If you'd actually watched The Lions back then you'd know they were ******* TERRIBLE. You honestly think that anyone outside of the masochistic diehards would want to spend time and energy going to see a team that were slow and most of the time wouldn't even bother trying to play until the game was beyond any chance of a win? Qlders don't waste a lot of time on a perpetual loser because they understand there are better ways to spend your time rather than waste it watching a team of low skilled, two legged snails that don't seem to give a s**t. The Saints would die off within 12 months if they were ever relocated here.

Qlders just aren't morons like some of the other states are :)

They've been young for a decade. It's the same season every year over and over again. Something needs to change.
Did you miss that whole period where the young talent turned 25 and ran off to interstate clubs? And so they had to recruit average players on good money just to have someone in that age range. Dew didn't help their cause by axing Lyons but even besides that the damage was great. A better coach and a few more years into their kids and they'll turn a corner.

If you'd actually watched The Lions back then you'd know they were ******* TERRIBLE. You honestly think that anyone outside of the masochistic diehards would want to spend time and energy going to see a team that were slow and most of the time wouldn't even bother trying to play until the game was beyond any chance of a win? Qlders don't waste a lot of time on a perpetual loser because they understand there are better ways to spend your time rather than waste it watching a team of low skilled, two legged snails that don't seem to give a sh*t. The Saints would die off within 12 months if they were ever relocated here.

Qlders just aren't morons like some of the other states are :)

Lol, been here for more than 40 years.

Plenty of morons in Queensland. The state that gave you Sir Joh, Pauline Hanson and Fraser Anning, yeah we can be a special breed.

What you really mean to say is when its teams are going well, Queenslanders are prone to a spot of bandwagoning.

The Lions have to work twice as hard to keep a solid member base and it helps that the Broncos are crap.

QLD sports supporters in general are the flakiest front runners in Australia. They will only attend when their team is winning and love jumping on a bandwagon.
I’ve worked with a lot of cane toads over the distance and this holds so true

Every 3rd person goes for the broncos even if they live on the GC/North Queensland
And when they’re winning ( broncos + SoO ) you can’t shut them up , ridiculously obnoxious and massive amounts of insecurity with regards to state pride .

But when things are not so rosy (like now - broncos s**t/got Smoked in SoO)
They’re quiet as church mice.
- Tho they ll usually then jump on the next winningist thing related to Queensland, no matter how tenuous the link is

The Saints would die off within 12 months if they were ever relocated here.
Doesn't that suggest we are flakes? St Kilda has somehow survived for over a century in Melbourne despite being futile for most of that time.

The real answer may be that Queensland hasn't yet developed the solid following for Australian Rules that would keep our clubs going through thick and thin like St Kilda or Carlton whenever they're going through their latest bout of sucking. And that's to be expected when it isn't the dominant game. Every club's crowds fall during fallow periods but heartland clubs have a large base of hardcore fans who always show up, as do the Broncos. And we do too, but it's smaller.

re: the OP thread title; I agree that the 2022 season will be pivotal in this club's short history.

They should be up there with other sad cases like Carlton, GWS and St Kilda; that they are a level lower is the indictment.

They have some pieces, and I think next year they will challenge those aforementioned teams.

They need leaders; Witts was serious and grumpy enough to fill the brief, and his loss has loomed pretty large in 2021.
Rowell and one or two others might stick their hand up along with Swallow, but it is an area that needs addressing.
This year's gruelling humiliations might be the key.

Of course it doesn't help when appointed club leaders abscond; that culture has only just been arrested - Ben King, Isaak Rankine, Noah Anderson, Jack Lukosius; there is at the very least some talent worth retaining and building around.

I don't think the club has completely erred in topping up with blue-collar types to complement the young guns.
Miller, Sam Collins, Hugh Greenwood; these types of grafters might not always be competition-leading exponents but they put in and become part of a young club's fabric.

They are a couple of talls short I reckon; not an easy position to rectify.

Last edited:
The AFL. 13 years and a rare finals appearance? The AFL can't afford that, not with the amount of money that relates to idiocy.
You know on-field performance doesn't translate directly into money generated, right? Especially in the lockdown age where even clubs like Richmond are playing in front of no crowd or restricted crowds.

I'm not here to kick the corpse, I really want the Suns to do well. But they can't keep trotting out what they have for the last six quarters they've played. I don't actually think it's the playing list that needs a clean out, it's off field that looks off to me.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It's a concern, it appears the experiment has failed. Might be time to start look at moving them to Tasmania.
5735690507_23d5b93c1c_w.jpg

Been using that same excuse for the last 10 years

And you've won one flag in 149 years...and what was the excuse for winning ONE game in five seasons :D

The Cold War hadn't even begun to heat up when your youngest premiership player was born...

It's been written 100s of times on here, but the AFL needs to help the club to allow them to sign some more mature-based talent into the club then just giving them first round picks every single year. Players like Mitchell, Gunston, Astbury, Talia, Motlop & Wallis (just to name a few) would be appropriate mature targets for the club based on their needs for the upcoming season and help develop the next batch of young superstars for the next 4-5 years of the club like King, Lukosius, Rankine, Hollands, Sharp, Ainsworth, Bowes, Ballard & Flanders for example.
Yep, agree with a lot of this. I was thinking a few months ago that the Suns should've done what they could to lure both Selwood and Cotchin to the Gold Coast for 2022. They're both the contemporary versions of Luke Hodge going into the Brisbane Lions group. Imagine having those two leaders of men injected into their system of youngsters for a couple of years while they can still compete onfield.

But they didn't, so the best they can hope for now is Charlie Constable and Josh Caddy, instead of their respective club captains.

My opposite prediction is that they'll be around for atleast another 5 years.

Longer term are they still around in 2045? Not so confident in that regard though
You would think that if Clarko ends up coaching the Suns next year or in 2023 and their on-field performances still don't improve massively in the future, I think that AFL will have no choice long-term but admit that their Gold Coast expansion failed completely and disband the club forever and just give a new 18th license to Tasmania as a result to help not dilute the competition further.

I still think though that with the right culture & people there, the Gold Coast Suns can become a very good club in the future for the AFL and with the increased $$$ being put in for SEQ in 2032 for the Summer Olympics, that might help the Suns out in the future improve financially as a club with greater exposure of sport in QLD, but we will just have to wait and see I suppose. It doesn't look good though right now looking on the outside for their quest for long-term survival in the competition, given the fact they haven't reached the Top 10 alone in their 11 years of survival, compared to their younger brother of the GWS Giants.

Last edited:
Did you miss that whole period where the young talent turned 25 and ran off to interstate clubs? And so they had to recruit average players on good money just to have someone in that age range. Dew didn't help their cause by axing Lyons but even besides that the damage was great. A better coach and a few more years into their kids and they'll turn a corner.
And you've won one flag in 149 years...and what was the excuse for winning ONE game in five seasons :D

The Cold War hadn't even begun to heat up when your youngest premiership player was born...
calm down champ was just pointing out that at some point people need to stop making excuses for them maybe if they were held to account for there performances they might actually improve instead it’s like nobody actually cares

If it's not from spite because Warwick Capper pissed on your sandcastle when you were holidaying in Surfers as a kid, then I fail to see the appeal of winding up the Suns - especially if you're a fan of a club like St Kilda or North Melbourne. If things are so dire that the AFL turns around the Titanic on their long term plans for growth of the game (because it's an existential threat to the league) then we won't be staying at 18 clubs for long. That road leads to a consolidated league with tight margins and maybe 10 clubs playing - say one in each state outside Victoria, five in Melbourne plus Geelong.

Lol, been here for more than 40 years.

Plenty of morons in Queensland. The state that gave you Sir Joh, Pauline Hanson and Fraser Anning, yeah we can be a special breed.

What you really mean to say is when its teams are going well, Queenslanders are prone to a spot of bandwagoning.

The Lions have to work twice as hard to keep a solid member base and it helps that the Broncos are crap.

My point is that everyone everywhere is prone to bandwaggoning. Qldrs do not, and never have had, a monopoly on such a thing.

And our terrible pollies are usually a reaction to the 'so open minded their brains fall out' nonsense you see in places like Victoria & nsw 😀

Last edited:
Doesn't that suggest we are flakes? St Kilda has somehow survived for over a century in Melbourne despite being futile for most of that time.

The real answer may be that Queensland hasn't yet developed the solid following for Australian Rules that would keep our clubs going through thick and thin like St Kilda or Carlton whenever they're going through their latest bout of sucking. And that's to be expected when it isn't the dominant game. Every club's crowds fall during fallow periods but heartland clubs have a large base of hardcore fans who always show up, as do the Broncos. And we do too, but it's smaller.

Did you even read my post? We don't go in for watching perpetual losing because why would we when we know there can be better ways to spend our time rather than watch a team that stays rubbish for YEARS. Doesn't mean we stop buying merch or signing up as paid up members.

I just realised that Jacob Townsend is on the GC list, he's not on their injury list and didn't play the last 2 weeks when they could barely kick goals. What's the deal with him?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back