Predictions for 2017

Remove this Banner Ad

May 4, 2009
Tasmania
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Furth
Lets have a little fun and make some predictions for the new year. lets see how wrong we will be. feel free to add things

ATP
Australia:
Novak over Murray
French: Kei over Novak
Wimbledon: Murray over Milos
US: Milos over Nishikori
Davis Cup: US

Biggest Rise: Juan Martin Del Porto will probably climb if he stays fit but Taylor Fritz is well on the rise and could climb lots of spots from 70 odd.
Biggest Fall: Ferrers time is done. Fed will have injures and father time will catch him. Isner will fade into the 60's. Berdych to an unranked player.
Year End number 1: Murray
Top Aussie and Rank: Kyrgios, Rank 7.
Biggest Story: Fed Retires after another back injury.

WTA
Australia:
Cibulkova over Svitolina. 2 randoms. it is australia after all.
French: Halep over Williams.........think i might have to get drug tested now.
Wimbledon: Serena one last time over Kerber.
US: Kerber over Muguruza
Fed Cup: Germany

Biggest Rise: Witthoeft, Bellis, Osaka. looking for Bencic to stay injury free and back to the top 10/ but Schmids will be back to the top 50 this year and hence the biggest rise.
Biggest Fall: Kvitova, but that doesnt really count. Venus will freefall. Vinci will drop to 60th odd. super worried about Cornet. Vesnina is my number 1 pick. not really a top 20 player.
Year End number 1: Halep
Top Aussie and Rank: Dasha at 19
Biggest Story: The Williams' and Hingis retire.

My 2016 prediction:
I think Djokovic will maintain his ranking this year and win 1 or 2 GS titles, with a big push for the FO.
I can see Nadal winning a GS title this year, either the AO or the FO.
Federer will not make a GS final.
Serena will win one GS title, as will Sharapova and there will be a couple of surprises with the other 2 GS winners.
The young guys will continue to push up the rankings, players like coric, zverev, Kyrgios will start making more impact.

I'm pretty happy with those. Djokovic finished with 2 including the FO, fed didn't make a GS final though Nadal didn't win a slam.
Serena won 1 slam, not Sharapova though, but there were 2 surprise winners with Kerber and muguruza.
Kyrgios and zverev both rose up the rankings as well.

As for 2017 I'm finding it ever more difficult to predict. I keep predicting major retirements will happen and surely this is the year we see it. Agree on Venus and hingis, Serena depends on what happens this year with injuries and her results. I have no idea what will happen in women's tennis.

We will have a first time slam winner in 2017, I'm sure of it. Most likely Raonic. But I have not followed the tennis so much in 2016 and I'm finding it difficult to predict. Think Andy will win 2 slams if he continues his purple patch. Not convinced novak can return to his previous peak. Zverev or kyrgios to make a slam semi.

God I hope not.
Yes please. (Though a Muguruza win would be very nice to see too).

Either way, I expect a lot of players to work Kerber out a little bit this year. I've heard she has been working a lot on her serve over this preseason, but if she hasn't been able to improve it much, she may not be able to back up her 2016 in light of increased attention from other players. I hope to see Pliskova win the US Open after she was up a break in the third last year. I'd love to see Kerber defend her Aus Open title, and a Wimbledon rematch for her against Serena (with a win this time) would be a wonderful way for Kerber to back up her 2016.

I'd like to see Serena pinch another grand slam title (preferably the French or US) then retire this year, though I think she wants to play for another year or two before retiring. I'd also like to see Garbiñe Muguruza return to her French Open form.

On the men's side, I want to see someone — anyone — other than the "Big Four" do something.

I think Murray will hold no.1 for at least the first 6 months and maybe for the entire year, he may have a slight slump at the start of the year but can win one or two slams this year. Novak will contiune the battle with him as well and will be right there with you.
Nadal making a run at the French (although we thought that last year).
Kyrgios to make a deep run in one of the slams this year, either a semi or a final or even possibly win it (if he doesn't play Murray). Top 10 beckons if that's the case.
We will see someone outside of the Big Four win a slam I just hope it isn't Wawrinka again.
Have to think it's Fed last season too.
As far as the other Aussies, Bernie will get his act together sometime this year and have a few decent results so he'll stay between 20-30. Millman and Thompson will have a hard time to stay in the top 100 while Duckworth will lock a spot back in. Outside of that, it's hard too see anyone else get in even though there's a few Aussies improving nicely

Mens:

AO: Novak def Raonic
FO: Novak def Murray
W: Murray def Novak
US: Novak def Sock

Other random Men Predictions

- Jack Sock to reach a Slam Final
- Kyrigios to reach 2 Slam Semi finals

Biggest Rise: Jack Sock (reaching 7-12)
Biggest Fall: Rafael Nadal (I hope I'm wrong here)

Women:

AO: Kerber def Piloskova
FO: Bencic def Kerber
W: Williams def Sharapova
US: Piloskova def Svitlina

Randoms:

- Bencic to be in the top 10
- Piloskova to end the year in the top 4
- Serena to announce her retirement.
- Sharapova to make a successful but Slamless return in 2017.

Biggest Rise: Eugenie Bouchard (purely because surely 80 odd isn't a reflection of her ability)
Biggest Fall: Venus Williams

I would imagine, considering she will come back from a drug ban, she will have no protected ranking.

She will receive wild cards however and will soon make her way up the rankings.

I assume you are right, was a genuine question though. Your suggestion makes sense.

She's very impressive. Good battle here.

I would also like to add pliskova as a strong chance to make a slam final or win one this year.
Its funny. before the US Open run, she hadnt made a 3rd/4th round of a grand slam before. yet she was very close to winning against Kerber and winning a slam last year.

heard a quote from her coach, i think, from the other day. he said something about her having a champion's heart. he just has to bring it out. It will be interesting if she returns back her old form of losing early or continues to emerge as a champion in waiting.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Lets have a little fun and make some predictions for the new year. lets see how wrong we will be. feel free to add things

ATP
Australia:
Novak over Murray

Biggest Fall: Ferrers time is done. Fed will have injures and father time will catch him. Isner will fade into the 60's. Berdych to an unranked player.

errrrrr......help.

I would imagine, considering she will come back from a drug ban, she will have no protected ranking.

She will receive wild cards however and will soon make her way up the rankings.
She has. first open is Stuttgart(which is one of the best in the WTA), plus has a wildcard from Rome and probably others. interesting to see if the French/Wimbledon will also give out a wildcard for a former winner.

We all rode off Nadal and Fed. just shows how Special last night was. (with my best Bruce impersonation)

The year is nearly ended. Lets see how we went

ATP
Australia:
Novak over Murray

Biggest Rise: Juan Martin Del Porto will probably climb if he stays fit but Taylor Fritz is well on the rise and could climb lots of spots from 70 odd.
Year End number 1: Murray
Top Aussie and Rank: Kyrgios, Rank 7.
I don't think this could be any worse. picking Kyrgios as top Aussie is my only success.

Didn't pick a slam finalist, let alone a winner. Called for Fed to retire:oops:

IIRC, I was not the only person who didn't call the Fedal comeback.
WTA
Australia:
Cibulkova over Svitolina. 2 randoms. it is australia after all.
French: Halep over Williams.........think i might have to get drug tested now.
Fed Cup: Germany

Biggest Rise: Witthoeft, Bellis, Osaka. looking for Bencic to stay injury free and back to the top 10/ but Schmids will be back to the top 50 this year and hence the biggest rise.
Biggest Fall: Kvitova, but that doesnt really count. Venus will freefall. Vinci will drop to 60th odd. super worried about Cornet. Vesnina is my number 1 pick. not really a top 20 player.
Year End number 1: Halep
Top Aussie and Rank: Dasha at 19
Halep nearly won the French but still ended as the year end number 1.:thumbsu::thumbsu: Hingis retired, but she was 37 so no shock. Vinci did freefall as well(to 114th rank). My risers didn't rise enough but not bad calls. Bencic didn't stay injury free.

My worst tip was saying that Venus would freefall. She nearly ended the year as the world number 1. Dont think anyone would have called the Barty comeback would be so successful

After this year's AO performance, Dimitrov should at least make a Grand Slam Final

Pilskova to win either Wimbledon or US Open.

Plus, I will be following A Zverev's progress throughout the year that guy has so much potential.

My predictions were a bit skim.

Pliskova didn't perform as I'd expected. I thought she would've won a GS this year.

Dimitrov didn't make or win a GS but I think he had a good year and finished in the top 10

Remove this Banner Ad

Back