• 5 - 8

Votes: 27 38.6%
  • 9 - 12

Votes: 19 27.1%
  • 13 - 18

Votes: 7 10.0%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

We’ll all be doing the final round predictions again with how much us/other teams need to win or lose for us to scrape into 8th spot, nightmare fuel.
That’s literally why I feel sure about 9 or 10 - means you spend most of the season with a slimmer of hope before the roof caves in. Wonderful

Revising my prediction from 11th to 13th. Best team in the bottom 6!

Last edited:
The Freo game will be very telling. If we can't beat the Dockers at the G round 1, then we are odds on to go 0-4. Because no way we beat Saints at Marvel, GWS away or Geelong, especially without Brown/Weid, potentially Viney.

Freo are a good side too. It's a huge game for confidence mainly. I can easily see Fyfe running rampant and destroying us. Either way, we'd want to see more from blokes like Harmes, Jetta, Hunt, Spargo, Baker and TMac. etc that's where our improvement has to come from. Because we know Trac, Oliver, May, Lever, Gawn are consistent in what they bring. It's the blokes underneath them where the improvement needs to come from and we didn't see it against the Dogs which makes me nervous.

The Freo game will be very telling. If we can't beat the Dockers at the G round 1, then we are odds on to go 0-4. Because no way we beat Saints at Marvel, GWS away or Geelong, especially without Brown/Weid, potentially Viney.

Freo are a good side too. It's a huge game for confidence mainly. I can easily see Fyfe running rampant and destroying us. Either way, we'd want to see more from blokes like Harmes, Jetta, Hunt, Spargo, Baker and TMac. etc that's where our improvement has to come from. Because we know Trac, Oliver, May, Lever, Gawn are consistent in what they bring. It's the blokes underneath them where the improvement needs to come from and we didn't see it against the Dogs which makes me nervous.

I think we're a big chance of beating GWS in Canberra.

I think we're a big chance of beating GWS in Canberra.
Didn't realise we're playing them in Canberra. Probably more chance there than in Sydney i guess. If we can sneak a win against Freo and GWS and get Brown/Weid back at 2-2, I'd take that. We'd need a lift from some of those middle rung players though.

TLDR = 6th to 8th

Firstly, this coming season I rate the Saints, Doggies and Blues as teams that will have improved from last year (Doggies just did not turn up last year). And that has factored into my observations.

Secondly, I do not rate the Crows, Bombers, Hawks, North, Pies or West Coast (away) above the Dee's.
- I have no clue on what the Giants, Cats, Swans and Dockers (at home) will bring. My gut feel is that the Cats will drop mid-table this year, but the Dockers and Swans will be knocking on the door for finals.

Melbourne has 10 games at the MCG, they only play Richmond, Lions and Port once. It is a good draw.

I think, with the current list, they should win 10 games, and they have 4 50/50 games as well (imo) so they could expect to sit anywhere from 5th to 12th. I am thinking that 6th to 8th is reasonable.

I do not feel a result that is lower than 6th to 8th, with this draw, is enough to retain the Head Coach for 2022.

Lastly, I made a table which validates my opinion as correct and better that yours.

ROUNDOppositionGround Home|AwayExpected Result
Round 1FremantleMCG [Home]WIN
Round 2St KildaMarvel Stadium [Away]LOSS
Round 3GWS GiantsManuka Oval [Away]50/50
Round 4Geelong CatsMCG [Home]50/50
Round 5HawthornMCG [Away]WIN
Round 6RichmondMCG [Home]LOSS
Round 7North MelbourneBlundstone Arena [Away]WIN
Round 8Sydney SwansMCG [Home]WIN
Round 9CarltonMCG [Home]50/50
Round 10Adelaide CrowsAdelaide Oval [Away]WIN
Round 11Western BulldogsMarvel Stadium [Away]LOSS
Round 12Brisbane LionsTIO Traeger Park [Home]LOSS
Round 13CollingwoodMCG [Home]WIN
Round 15EssendonMCG [Away]WIN
Round 16GWS GiantsMCG [Home]WIN
Round 17Port AdelaideAdelaide Oval [Away]LOSS
Round 18HawthornMCG [Home]WIN
Round 19Gold Coast SunsMetricon Stadium [Away]50/50
Round 20Western BulldogsMCG [Home]LOSS
Round 21West Coast EaglesOptus Stadium [Away]LOSS
Round 22AdelaideMCG [Home]WIN
Round 23GeelongGMHBA Stadium [Away]LOSS

Originally said top 4 and after the pre season I reckon will be premiers. Usually we try our hardest in the NAB cup because we need it, but against the Bulldogs we just weren’t interested in it, we are waiting for the real stuff, no point playing your hand in a praccy game. Confidence sky high

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Dogs midfield depth is ridiculous - they had Lipinski & Bailey Smith on the wing, and no Treloar, with McRae, Dunkley, Bont & Libba in the guts against Jordon, Sparrow, Trac, Harmes, Jones. We had no Oliver, Viney or Brayshaw.

I think there are 6 teams clearly better than the rest & 4 sides that I don't expect much from. We fall into the other eight teams. I see natural improvement from the Suns while Carlton & St Kilda have improved their lists. Collingwood have lost a couple of players but I don't see them regressing too much. I know we have added Ben Brown but even if he wasn't injured I'm not sure how much of an impact that will have given the way we play. I think best case scenario is 9th but given the injuries we have & the ability of teams like Freo & Sydney to upset teams I could also see us finish 14th.

With that mindset I am going into this season with a bad movie mentality. You know its going to be crap but you take some enjoyment out of how bad it actually is. That's the plan anyway. I'll probably be melting with the rest of you come Saturday the 20th.

Last edited:
Does Goody keep his job if we finish

Does Goody keep his job if we finish 9th?
See I've always had the opinion it could be a succesful season and we finish 9th and be a failure and we finish 7th.

Say we start the year 2-5 and he's right under pressure and then we go 10-5 for the rest of the year. Stomp some big teams and see progress from Pickett and Jackson etc.
12 wins could make finals and could also miss out. I don't think losing an elimination final is progress on last year.

If Trac takes a step backwards, Salem and Oliver don't improve etc and we are carried by incredible performances from May and Lever and we scrape finals then I'd still sack him.

We could finish 7th and be further away from a flag now than we were in 2018

Crystal Ball: Our predictions for the 2021 AFL season are in - https://www.afl.com.au/news/560486

AFL.com journos have us finishing between 9-13ish. I know they're often a crapshoot, but seems there isn't a great deal of confidence about us externally. The pressure will be on Goody very quickly if we don't start well.
Really going out on a limb. Bar a few picks most have predicted the same final 8.

Back