Predictions of fringe players making an impact in 2018

Remove this Banner Ad

Sure they can, but it's a bit tough to predict guys who are out of the team not only making the team, but 'making an impact'. You're really just throwing names out there rather than making a considered opinion. If you want me to list the names of those outside the team, I'll direct you to the Richmond website I'm sure they have a roster list available.

OH MY ******* GOD :drunk:

Everything that came after 'Sure they can'.

We have just started January and the OP has asked a specific question, we can only offer an opinion to it. Quit pretending it is all fact and that everyone knows exactly what is going to happen!!!

I don't, but that doesn't mean I feel inclined to pick a name out of a hat.

BTW. What is your definition of 'making an impact'?

Fringe demons:
Harmes - fit, strong but not sure he's got the tricks. Handy depth but I'm not expecting a big leap. Would like to see him play back or in the centre.
Bugg - ok role player as a defensive forward but hard to see him improving.
Stretch - took a step back in 17 as the game plan didn't use outside players well. I'm hopefully he can get back on track.
Kent - fitter this year but not convinced.
Pedersen - made an impact in 17 but can he keep it going?
Aaron Vandenberg - still recovering slowly from 2 years out, wait and see
Weideman - coming off an ankle clean up, has talent but might be one more year again
Kennedy-Harris - dominates VFL but goes to water in the main stuff, not convinced that will change
Wagner - too good for VFL but lack of pace and skills can break down at AFL. I remain a fan and wouldn't be surprised if he became a regular if injury free
Joel Smith - very confident with a healthy run at it he's got a lot of talent.
Maynard - can win a contested ball but I see a lot of mids ahead of him and not a lot of flexibilty in his game
T Smith - coming back from a foot fracture, could be useful as a defensive taller forward to cover injuries

I want to see Joel Smith fit and given time to develop. I'm hoping for a step forward for Stretch and Weideman. Not a heap of confidence with the remaining guys.

I don't, but that doesn't mean I feel inclined to pick a name out of a hat.

BTW. What is your definition of 'making an impact'?
'making an impact' = making people sit up and take notice of you.
= making people mumble to themselves "where the heck did this guy come from?", or "I knew he was a good player, but never thought THIS good!"

Basically if you're an outer/fringe player having played zero AFL games, or just a few games per previous years, all of a sudden you're in the best 22 and playing weekly footy = making an impact.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

North need one of the tall players to step up out of EVW, Nielson and Durdin who would your pick be? Did I see one of them had a minor injury before Xmas?

I wouldn’t have EVW as a tall. If I had to pick one it would be McKay, followed by Durdin.

North need one of the tall players to step up out of EVW, Nielson and Durdin who would your pick be? Did I see one of them had a minor injury before Xmas?
Durdin had a minor operation, but will be back before the end of this month fully training.

EVW is more of a general lockdown defender than a genuine KPD. Nielson is Thompson's replacement as the KPD capable of playing on small, medium and tall forwards so I expect him to get better with more games, but Durdin is the KPD with the most 'potential', whether he fulfills it is another thing, however, I'll pick him as the one that will stand up due to his intercept and swingman capabilities.

Durdin could easily end up at CHF and Ben McKay at CHB and vice versa. McKay is the one with the most potential, outside Simpkin and LDU, on North's list, again, if he fulfills it, it would solve a lot of problems. 19 years old and is an absolute beast like his brother Harry, although Harry is a little bit taller. Ben looks like a bigger version of Robbie Tarrant, who has had a few very good years as a FB.

oh yes he is

Definitely best 22; but up until this trade period I don't think he's been particularly well recognised as GC don't get a lot of visibility in the media.

I think at a Victorian club he'll get a lot more notice so probably fits the bill reasonably well for a more mature player.

From our younger kids it would definitely be Langford and Laverde; now coming in to the years when they should be able to lock down a role in the best 22 if they're ever going to.

Collingwood folk, how has Kayle Kirby been travelling this preseason? Pretty widely known he wasn't in great shape preseason last, but still almost topped the VFL goal kicking. With a sold pre he has great tools to be a really damaging player.

Collingwood folk, how has Kayle Kirby been travelling this preseason? Pretty widely known he wasn't in great shape preseason last, but still almost topped the VFL goal kicking. With a sold pre he has great tools to be a really damaging player.
I think he's still trying to finish the time trial from the first day of preseason, back in November, but he's getting there! :thumbsu:

I think Durdin and Nielson will both play 150+ games.

McKay has beast potential though, it will be interesting how they handle the 3 of them, given we need to pump games into all of them.

McKay will develop into a Carlisle type imo.

With their list position North have quite a few to choose from here:

Ryan Clarke. 13 games in 2017 and averaged 27 touches a game off the back flank in the last 7 games of 2017. His in-game running is exceptional, he knows how to find the pill and generally makes the right choices with ball in hand. Kicking is a bit hit and miss but I still expect him to play 22 games injury permitting.

Sam Durdin: 8 games in 2017 and showed signs both forward and back. Finally filling out and applying himself to his craft after questions were raised early about his dedication to training and preparation, but the digit has certainly been removed. 198cm/100kg's, moves well, good skills and can read the play. Question remains as to which end of the ground he plays, my tip is that he ends up a roaming CHF.

Ed Vickers-Willis. 7 games in 2017 in which he showed poise with the ball in hand and excellent ability to lock down on a man. He will be the type of player that will fly under the radar a bit as he isn't flashy or an accumulator through the middle (no supercoach champ), but the kid knows footy. If fit will play most games alongside Marley Williams as the 2 small/medium defenders.

Cameron Zurhaar: 4 games in 2017 after limited footy in his final underage year, Zurhaar showed a hunger for the contest and a strong attacking game. Fitness permitting he will slot into the half forward line for most of 2018 and bash the s**t out of opposition defenders.

Menadue is fast, not a bad kick and is fairly agile. Nice height too. Was developing some nice continuity until he became the sacrificial lamb in that saints game, and didn't get a look in since. Kind of skinny and needs to put on some more muscle, but once he does, he could become a weapon.

Short is another really fast player, loves to kick long and run the lines. May take over Houli's spot one day.

Both these players played a few games for the team, and they're definitely considered future growth. Both got dropped for making little mistakes in games, but I expect them to make their way back into the side once they improve their games.

Bolton is another on the fringes who could become an exciting player for the tigers. Is, without a doubt, talented enough to play in the forwardline, just needs to keep working on his tank and getting more of the ball. Didn't play much last year because he's raw.

Graham too, although he might not count as fringe.

Menadue is fast, not a bad kick and is fairly agile. Nice height too. Was developing some nice continuity until he became the sacrificial lamb in that saints game, and didn't get a look in since. Kind of skinny and needs to put on some more muscle, but once he does, he could become a weapon.

Short is another really fast player, loves to kick long and run the lines. May take over Houli's spot one day.

Both these players played a few games for the team, and they're definitely considered future growth. Both got dropped for making little mistakes in games, but I expect them to make their way back into the side once they improve their games.

Bolton is another on the fringes who could become an exciting player for the tigers. Is, without a doubt, talented enough to play in the forwardline, just needs to keep working on his tank and getting more of the ball. Didn't play much last year because he's raw.

Graham too, although he might not count as fringe.

Agree. Would add C. Ellis as another who might be able to make inroads. Conca too if he can stay fit and finally catch a break with some good health.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back