Prelim - Changes / Discussion v Cats

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
In: Daniher, McInerney

Out: Fort, Fullarton.

Wilmot seemed more settled this week (and looks like he’s going to be a player) and Robertson did some nice things so should hold their places IMO.

I’ve been quite negative on Fullarton before (and not convinced he will make it), but he was better than usual last night so is a little unlucky.

Thought it was smart coaching to mongrel it inside 50 during the second half. It certainly threw out Melbourne’s intercept game. Overall, we executed our plan beautifully and I think we can really take it to Geelong. The 2020 Prelim smashing still stings me, but we’ve really developed our clearance game since then which was one of the key areas that cost us that night IIRC. Easy choice to keep Berry in the middle and hope Geelong stick to their process and leave Lachie loose.

Just on our pace, it was only a few years ago that we seemed so slow and stagnant with our movement. Charlie and Bailey have really added to our side’s dynamism. Our ability to move the ball quickly - pleasingly in the right circumstances - really helped to swing things our way when we needed it.

Go Lions!

In: Daniher, McInerney

Out: Fort, Fullarton.

Wilmot seemed more settled this week (and looks like he’s going to be a player) and Robertson did some nice things so should hold their places IMO.

I’ve been quite negative on Fullarton before (and not convinced he will make it), but he was better than usual last night so is a little unlucky.

Thought it was smart coaching to mongrel it inside 50 during the second half. It certainly threw out Melbourne’s intercept game. Overall, we executed our plan beautifully and I think we can really take it to Geelong. The 2020 Prelim smashing still stings me, but we’ve really developed our clearance game since then which was one of the key areas that cost us that night IIRC. Easy choice to keep Berry in the middle and hope Geelong stick to their process and leave Lachie loose.

Just on our pace, it was only a few years ago that we seemed so slow and stagnant with our movement. Charlie and Bailey have really added to our side’s dynamism. Our ability to move the ball quickly - pleasingly in the right circumstances - really helped to swing things our way when we needed it.

Go Lions!

You forgot Berry

I think it was mentioned on TV at the end of the game, Oscar has played about 10 minutes in total in the last two finals. I love Oscar but does Fort hold his spot, especially after his 2nd half efforts?

I'd still bring back Oscar given his form in the back half of the year, and from memory in round 2 or 3 this year Stanley really had Fort's number when he was the main ruck and Oscar was suspended.

Big O has had some really excellent games v the Cats and this is a game where we really need to get ascendancy in the ruck and smash the ball forwards - bit more suited to him than Forty.

Fort was outstanding last night.....and don't forget he was up against the best in the league. Did anyone notice how much more cohesive our forward line was last night?

2 effective tall forwards is a way better strategy than our previous set up.

I'd love to have big O come in and help with the ruck plus go forward to the goal square to keep blitz and de koning honest.

I realise we HAVE to play Daniher but last night should have proved that we are better without him and also that Fort is a better ruck than Oscar.

fort is a different type of ruck to oscar

i dont think its right to say 1 is better than the other

id definitely be in favour of using both at various times next years both to manage each properly and to get different looks against ruck opponents oscar has not historically done well against

fort is a different type of ruck to oscar

i dont think its right to say 1 is better than the other

id definitely be in favour of using both at various times next years both to manage each properly and to get different looks against ruck opponents oscar has not historically done well against
true, it's a great combination.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Will be our 3rd Prelim in a row against the Cats, which is quite staggering considering it goes as far back as 2004.

Geelong - MCG - 2022
Geelong - GABBA - 2020
Geelong - MCG* - 2004

Probably something to remember with Fort's performance in the second half, as good as it was, is that Gawn was clearly struggling with some injury. Saw some footage where Gawn could barely get out of jog.

They still had Jackson.

But yeah Gawn couldn't jump.

If Jackson is worth the money he's trying to demand, then he shouldn't have only broken even with Fullarton.

I doubt it, as if he doesn't want to win a final, let alone win another grand final.
if its known within the group hes leaving and it hasnt been addressed properly his mind is probably elsewhere

cf mcstay who looked like he was going through the motions at some points this year, but has been playing career best footy since the second gws game. reckon something was done to address the elephant in the room and the club is comfortable with the situation, which has lead to him being able to focus purely on his footy.

Out: Fullarton, Fort
In: Daniher, Big O

It's not a knock on Full or Fort but you have to bring in your key forward and number 1 ruckman for a Prelim.

No other changes.

Just waiting for Berry to have to go through days of speculation and a tribunal hearing. Even if he gets off it's a s**t preparation.

And for what? No injury. No intent. He wasn't even looking at his eyes - he was desperately trying to get the big lump of a bloke off his throat.

I don't but into Vic bias, it's big name bias. He will get done because Jarrod Berry is a near no-name and so they can say they are stamping out unacceptable things in the game.

So I refuse to countenance any replacement for Berry :)

I would go Oscar for Fort but only if Oscar is fully fit. Don't want him even a tiny bit off.

Daniher for Fullarton, McStay to back-up ruck. Joe told to compete more. Incidentally how good does Hipwood look getting up the field then charging back towards goal? This was more breakout Hipwood from 2018. More of that please.

Answerth would be the most vulnerable of the rest I think he stays. Not totally convinced about him on a wing - he does at least give us another bit of coverage in case Stengle is hurting us. Just doesn't get a lot of it and iffy disposal. I would probably go Prior over Answerth but can't see Fagan doing that.

I think the issue on the wing is with Answerth and Ah Chee we have 2 defensive wingers who are low possession.

Just waiting for Berry to have to go through days of speculation and a tribunal hearing. Even if he gets off it's a s**t preparation.

And for what? No injury. No intent. He wasn't even looking at his eyes - he was desperately trying to get the big lump of a bloke off his throat.

I don't but into Vic bias, it's big name bias. He will get done because Jarrod Berry is a near no-name and so they can say they are stamping out unacceptable things in the game.

So I refuse to countenance any replacement for Berry :)

I would go Oscar for Fort but only if Oscar is fully fit. Don't want him even a tiny bit off.

Daniher for Fullarton, McStay to back-up ruck. Joe told to compete more. Incidentally how good does Hipwood look getting up the field then charging back towards goal? This was more breakout Hipwood from 2018. More of that please.

Answerth would be the most vulnerable of the rest I think he stays. Not totally convinced about him on a wing - he does at least give us another bit of coverage in case Stengle is hurting us. Just doesn't get a lot of it and iffy disposal. I would probably go Prior over Answerth but can't see Fagan doing that.

I think the issue on the wing is with Answerth and Ah Chee we have 2 defensive wingers who are low possession.
I wonder about Answerth but what he did do was make the Melbourne runners accountable and we were able to hold them up more once the sting went out of them.

Cal hasn't been the same since Cripps knocked him out but he's fantastic defensively and he'll get better.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back