Unofficial Preview Prelim discussion v Demons/Blues / Gunston watch.

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Feeling pretty confident after tonight
Agree, if we can't beat the Blues on what they dished up tonight I would be bitterly disappointed.

Shut down Curnow like the Demons(Dees shite entries and kicking for goal did them in again) did tonight and they have nothing to worry us from a scoring perspective IMO. We have them easily covered at either end of the ground and we bat deeper and have a more skilled midfield.

Only thing that could make it closer is a lot of rain.

So does anyone down there have the balls to ask why Weitering didn’t get taken off for a HIA test, after quite clearly staggering? Or we just playing on with all that?

So does anyone down there have the balls to ask why Weitering didn’t get taken off for a HIA test, after quite clearly staggering? Or we just playing on with all that?

Has to be investigated.

Agree, if we can't beat the Blues on what they dished up tonight I would be bitterly disappointed.

Shut down Curnow like the Demons(Dees shite entries and kicking for goal did them in again) did tonight and they have nothing to worry us from a scoring perspective IMO. We have them easily covered at either end of the ground and we bat deeper and have a more skilled midfield.

Only thing that could make it closer is a lot of rain.

They do get McKay (?) and Martin back.

My only concern is if we have handled the double week off well, this time around. We come out pretty well last week after the week off but hopefully we can start in a similar fashion next week.
Blues will be a bit battered so if we can get off to a good start and put some space between us, they will lose all hope and we will win easy in the end.

My only concern is if we have handled the double week off well, this time around. We come out pretty well last week after the week off but hopefully we can start in a similar fashion next week.
Blues will be a bit battered so if we can get off to a good start and put some space between us, they will lose all hope and we will win easy in the end.

Thankfully the 2s are in finals and keeping the energy around the club high. Think this will make a big difference.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think there's a different maturity and different determination about the Lions this time around. Absolutely take the double week off vs' getting smashed in a match like the Blues did tonight (though admittedly I only saw the last quarter... bloody Kayo wouldn't let me in!!).
I think you're spot on - get out in front and keep them at arms length. Better yet, be 10 goals up at 3 qtr time and avoid a final qtr bruising!

Last edited:
Strange that there’s no footage of the Weitering hit?
If you've got Kayo, it's at the 16:15 mark of the 4th qtr. At the time I thought it was okay, but I just rewatched, and Hodgey is right, he was staggering sideways.
I don't wish him ruled out, but he needs to go through protocols... and Carlton need to answer for it (considering they threw the book at Port earlier in the season).

Carlton let the Demons have 26 scoring shots, 3 of which hit the post, and then there was Gawn's brain fade. I think if we get 26 scoring shots we win. May did a "Jack Payne" on Curnow, & as I mentioned earlier they apparently score fewer goals when McKay is on the ground and he'll be back, so I think they will struggle to score (I'm not worried at all about Jack Martin). Walsh got 34 touches & 2 goals, no tag. Stick Dev on him. De Koning looked dangerous but only intermittently. Docherty did his shoulder, and Weitering didn't look too flash towards the end - I hope they both get up but they'll be sore. And I reckon they played their grand final tonight, psychologically. I hope Cal destroys Cripps in a one-v-one aerial contest and follows it up with a goal, that would be sweet.

Gutsy win from the Blues. Had a flick through their prelim thread, full of comments underestimating us.. same as the other 15 clubs that have come up to the Gabba, fair crack, it’s a free swing with no pressure.

I’m thrilled TBH. Dees worried me a lot more, especially with the mental aspects to their come back win and our recent history.

I respect the Blues, any team in a prelim is a good footy team. However, they fell in againts an undermanned Swans and looked cooked last night several times, won on guts. Let off the hook completely, Dees had about 6-7 chances to ice it and couldn’t.

Going to need to be a lot better at the Gabba, if they make mistakes by foot like they did tonight, they will get punished on turnover. We score unlike Swans and Blues.

Good luck to em, going to be a big build up.

Last edited:
3 out of the final 5 games so far have been won by the team, who one could argue weren’t the better team for the majority of the game. This includes both games that Carlton and Melbourne (unfortunately for them), have featured in.

With that in mind, hopefully the Blues have used up all their “luck” for this year and they don’t have a Dogs 2016 type fate about them.

Strange that there’s no footage of the Weitering hit?
There was nothing in it. Just incidental contact, if I recall correctly. They showed it once during the broadcast.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back