Game Day Prelim Final vs Port Melbourne @ Adcon Stadium Port Melbourne 2.10 14/9/19 - Live On 7

Remove this Banner Ad

Grrr

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 16, 2009
mildura
AFL Club
Richmond
Very impressed with RCD. Hits the tackles hard and at speed that will translate to AFL, and you don't play against short mids that buckle at the knees at every contact. He looks to attack from stoppages, but there is not a lot of space because you don't have the Edwards type of player that puts you into space. He will be a good 3-4kg's heavier next year as well.
Balta looks much more at home around the ball. I think he could play on the wing at AFL. Just make him train next to Lambert all preseason, drop a couple of kg's and who knows. Could rest up forward no problem.

Apr 27, 2014
The Funny Farm Lakes Entrance
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
The Fanboi Farters
IIRC he played a really good game in the seniors this season when we were struggling with injuries and he got to actually play in the middle. Seems that every other time he gets played on a flank or something. I'm with you that he hasn't shown enough in general at AFL level but he's only 22, showing great VFL form this year and usually played out of position at AFL.

Also agree on Ross, he's a keeper. Such a shame he got injured when he did cos he would no doubt be cemented in our 22 if not.
Ross to me has shown more in half a season than Menadue has in four. I just feel he would offer less than Ellis in the AFL and that’s damn hard to do. I think he suffers from stage fright and the adjustment of the pace and toughness of the seniors. I would play Ross everyday before him and the club must rate him bc he got games before him after a long injury break.

Grrr

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 16, 2009
mildura
AFL Club
Richmond
No Madison bc he’s a proven failure at the level. He would be too much of a risk for me. He’s a slight upgrade on The Silky Butterfly and soft as butter.
I prefer Ross who hits the picks hard and wins his own ball.
Failure is a tad strong. Very much learning the game, and other than the Freo game where he played half back, and was very good, most of the other games he played this year were as a half forward, a position he has rarely played. But he has improved quite a bit as a half forward especially the last few games, even you as a critic would have to agree there.
I agree he is a tad timid at times going for the low hard ball, I think a legacy of being so lean for so long, but is he more timid than Brandon Ellis, and has he more weapons than Ellis. So while Ross will be a gun, he is a centre midfielder, so unless you throw Baker or Bolton up on the wing, i.e. change our structures, then you stick with Ellis, or replace him with a player able to play the position. Personally I would like to see Pickett come in as I think he would play the wing well, but that is probably not going to happen.

Apr 27, 2014
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
The Fanboi Farters
Even though he didn't bust out today, you could see the ceiling of RCD. Already so strong in the contest, but with the traits to break away.

Looks to be developing well.
Very impressive first half which is what you would expect from a first year boy .
Very strong inside and a hard tackler. Went missing for about 45min in the second half and then got a second wind. I’m not sure why there’s so much criticism on him as he’s shown enough for a first season lad.

Apr 27, 2014
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
The Fanboi Farters
Failure is a tad strong. Very much learning the game, and other than the Freo game where he played half back, and was very good, most of the other games he played this year were as a half forward, a position he has rarely played. But he has improved quite a bit as a half forward especially the last few games, even you as a critic would have to agree there.
I agree he is a tad timid at times going for the low hard ball, I think a legacy of being so lean for so long, but is he more timid than Brandon Ellis, and has he more weapons than Ellis. So while Ross will be a gun, he is a centre midfielder, so unless you throw Baker or Bolton up on the wing, i.e. change our structures, then you stick with Ellis, or replace him with a player able to play the position. Personally I would like to see Pickett come in as I think he would play the wing well, but that is probably not going to happen.
He won’t make it mate. You’ve got to accept that some players can’t find another gear at the top level. That’s bs him learning the game into his fourth season. These are the same limp excuses that were being said for Corey Ellis. Next year Stack and Ross will have him easily covered as they didn’t need to learn the game as they’re naturally gifted in comparison.

Last edited:
Jul 3, 2008
eastern-most tiger in the nation
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Abers
If Ellis' wing spot becomes available, there is a lot of competition for it. Markov, Baker, Naish, Balta (my preference) Kmac etc are all available. Should we retain Menadue? I would not be offering much more than a rookie contract.

Grrr

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 16, 2009
mildura
AFL Club
Richmond
He won’t make it mate. You’ve got to accept that some players can’t find another gear at the top level. That’s bs him learning the game into his fourth season. These are the same limp excuses that were being said for Corey Ellis. Next year Stack and Ross will have him easily covered as they didn’t need to learn the game as they’re naturally gifted in comparison.
Ellis could play football, but he was as slow as a wet week and had the turning circle of the Queen Mary. Menadue can play as evidenced by yesterday, a class above all day. Has plenty of pace, a very good kick, makes good decisions and now starting to get in good positions. But he has been a bit timid.
I agree that Stack, Pickett, Ross have him covered, but that doesn't mean he is no good.
No doubt he will go looking for another club, and he will easily get taken, if not he stays as good depth.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Magic17

All Australian
Oct 8, 2010
AFL Club
Richmond
Ellis could play football, but he was as slow as a wet week and had the turning circle of the Queen Mary. Menadue can play as evidenced by yesterday, a class above all day. Has plenty of pace, a very good kick, makes good decisions and now starting to get in good positions. But he has been a bit timid.
I agree that Stack, Pickett, Ross have him covered, but that doesn't mean he is no good.
No doubt he will go looking for another club, and he will easily get taken, if not he stays as good depth.
Agree after a great finals performance yesterday. I’d bring Menadue in for Ellis.

I hope Silvestro comes in next week as we need a bit more pace around the ball. Aarts apparently sent the Port player to hospital with a smashed cheekbone and heavy concussion so it looks like he’s done.

Coffield, unless he's injured. They'll also lose a carry-over emergency or two

Apr 27, 2014
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
The Fanboi Farters
+’s

Balta for the complete package he’s going to be and his athleticism. Just needs time for that motor to build and to fully develop his body so he can play that Koutifides role.

RCD as I said earlier is bubbling along nicely with his tackling and inside work.
Again still no motor yet, but hopefully in time. Would love him to have a bit more pace.

Ross is a potential A Grader and would walk into 17 other teams best 22. I would play him next week , but that’s just me. I love his size and aggression for a first year player. DE is low only bc he’s inside doing the hard yakka.

Moore in the last started to show his 2017-18 form and looks like he’s fully recovered from his injuries.

Menadue for being Menadue at VFL level. Showed his usual dash and kicked three.

Chol was outstanding in the ruck early and is high vertical leaps were a spectacle for all the crowd. Moved up forward later and was jumping at everything and his athleticism was again a delight to watch. Doesn’t do much , but what he does is worth the entry money. Geez he has come a long way.

Egg was terrific again and probably my second best player on the day. I love his composure and his ball reading ability is on the money.

Naish didn’t do enough by his standards , but his field kicking is a treat to watch . His kicking is a real weapon and will be something to look forward to in the future.

CCJ and Miller worked hard all day and for second season talls I think they’re bubbling along ok. CCJ really knows how to rack up possessions for a big man and has a massive amount of talent and promise . Can’t wait until he starts getting size and strength on him so he can clunk those big marks as the more seasoned ruckman are just unbalancing him a bit atm.

Garthwaite was serviceable and for a big bloke moves quickly across the turf. Still his balance in aerial contests is a concern and falls to ground too easily.

-‘s
Butler was poor and very lazy on the day. Had some good moments, but were outweighed by his bad. That effort in the last where we had tall numbers deep in the FL and we needed a crumber, he just walked to the contest and Port covered it. No awareness or desire to want it. Not the player he once was as moments like those were his bread and butter.

Markov just doesn’t do enough for a fourth season player . Has great moments, but then does his Houdini acts.

Pickett I was told on here glides along the turf, but I’m yet to see it. IMO he moves more like a sumo wrestler and likes a lot of the congested stuff. He’s a hardened vfl body with brute strength, but no way an AFL player on yesterday’s game. He seems to struggle to find room and he’s not that quick when he does happen to find it. Missed a lot this year so we’ll have to put the gliding ideas away until next season.

Weller I couldn’t give two hoots about as we know his ceiling

Townsend really should be bathing in this conditions, but was very average.

Aarts is too slow and apart from his late hit he was hardly sited.

KMAc was the biggest disappointment especially in the first three quarters as he tended to misread the ball in the air and missed some tackles . His mind just doesn’t seem to be on the job as he had a lot to play for , but blew it. Can’t believe how much he’s dropped off in intensity and attitude.

English had a shocker which was disappointing as his pace and class around the ball was missed. Hope he bounces back as he’s been a beacon this year. Ditto for Turner, but for first year lads they’ve both done well.

Last edited:

It would be a ballsy call and definitely worth thinking about when you consider the Ellis track record in finals. Pickett's ball use is terrific, decisions quick, just not sure he has what is required to go with say a Guthrie type. I'd probably play Egg before Pickett this week. But, Pickett's silk could be important at different times in the game.

Apr 27, 2014
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
The Fanboi Farters
Your description tells me Gold Coast is the go for him as I’m not interested in good vfl players, but more in blokes who can rise to the next level.
I was lenient on him for two seasons , but he hasn’t progressed so you can’t hang onto these guys forever as eventually you get swallowed up by better players. Also just as many fast players die in the afl system as slow ones. The system needs both, but you need other attributes as well.

When the game was there to be won or lost in second half Balta wanted the ball and went to go and get it, I was really impressed with that.

I dunno about Moore.

Thought the umpiring was better than afl last night

Charlie Pannam

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 15, 2015
AFL Club
Richmond
Every time I watch Balta I just can't help but think - tall mid. He just does his best work in congestion or when running with the ball. Imagine the impact he'd have as a burst midfielder / back-up ruck.
If he developed into that type of player it would be a great weapon to have in the team (think Kouta). He’s got a way to go before reaching those heights but there’s enough examples of him influencing stoppages and clearances to get us excited with that prospect

Remove this Banner Ad

Back