Game Day Prelim Finals 2016...the Swans v Cats & the Dogs V Giants.

Oct 15, 2012
Hobart
AFL Club
Adelaide
And people on here wrote us off when we finished 5th. We could've made it to the granny if we were good enough in be finals, but we weren't.
I had a few reasons I was really happy for the Dogs ...
  • Bob Murphy
  • Those injuries (must be nearly as many as the Power??)
  • Their intent and heart
  • The fans - they deserve some good stuff
But on the other side:
  • I didn't want the Cats to have fuel for the "it was the bye" excuses (loved Leon Cameron's - "1 game in 27 days? It's actually 2 in 28 :rolleyes:)
  • The Talia incident
  • The duckers, oh my those duckers
  • That free kick count against us
  • The fact that the head of the AFL said he "wanted" the Bulldogs to win a premiership in the preseason
  • Adelaide fans falling into the trap of "get in the finals and anything can happen" that has held back our club for so long
This year was very very strange. Two games separating first and seventh. Bulldogs had the 8th toughest draw, and only played 5 games interstate in the regular season - then had the toughest run through the finals going to Perth and Sydney.

I hope we don't start hearing "Well the Bulldogs made the GF in 2016 from 7th" too often when referring to our club in the coming years :(

Last edited by a moderator:

Iron

Norm Smith Medallist
May 26, 2014
AFL Club
Adelaide
The dogs earnt my respect last night. I haven't seen a team run on pure heart like that for a long time.

The Giants had the legs and you could see it, but whenever there was a line ball to be won, someone from the dogs stood up and created something. I was guilty of not wanting them to win last night - and I'll probably still want Sydney to win next week - but * it, there'd be worse teams to have won a premiership than them.

Big Crow

Cancelled
Aug 28, 2016
AFL Club
Adelaide
A team full of Selwoods who buckle their knees and lift the arm at every sign of contact isn't what I'd call good finals footy but each to their own. If a Grand Final was decided by a knee buckle free kick I think I'd vomit.
Me too, glad they didn't get up. That said, as much as I dislike the way Selwood ducks, shrugs and drops to win free kicks, I also admire the way he goes about the rest of his game. Hard as nails. Let's face it, we'd all have him at the Crows in a heartbeat.

frenchconnection

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 16, 2009
Wembley downs
AFL Club
West Coast
:thumbsdown::thumbsdown::thumbsdown:
Yes but they are massive flogs, let's rise above it.
Am glad that Geelong lost Friday night. Players who try to chase premierships by swapping teams normally come unstuck!! Always think of Buckley leaving Brisbane to go to Collingwood. In his time at Collingwood they never won a GF and Brisbane after his departure went onto to win 3. :rolleyes:

little graham

Brownlow Medallist
10k Posts
Sep 18, 2013
AFL Club
Adelaide
You can't knock the footscray footy club today. They travelled on mass and had one of the best days in their 100 year history. Good on em!

They are a welfare club. We provide more welfare than any other club. They had a free ride with the umpires again. Also, there was empty seats at the game. so if thier supporters were as good as you say, why didn't they fill them?

that club deserves 100 point flogging on Saturday.

boffo

Club Legend
Aug 7, 2006
AFL Club
Adelaide
Beverage was a flog over the Talia thing, but other then that what has he done wrong?

After we beat them in last years Elimination final I remember him saying, when the journos were prompting him to whinge, he said we can't blame the fact the game was played at the MCG (and not Etihad). He was as gracious as you could expect right after the loss.

Beverage was a flog over the Talia thing, but other then that what has he done wrong?

After we beat them in last years Elimination final I remember him saying, when the journos were prompting him to whinge, he said we can't blame the fact the game was played at the MCG (and not Etihad). He was as gracious as you could expect right after the loss.
Called us disgusting for bringing up Troy Pannell but Boyd complained to the umps a few weeks later in the Port match.

Slippery Pete

Samcro24 alias account
Jul 19, 2010
AFL Club
Adelaide
They are a welfare club. We provide more welfare than any other club. They had a free ride with the umpires again. Also, there was empty seats at the game. so if thier supporters were as good as you say, why didn't they fill them?

that club deserves 100 point flogging on Saturday.

How bitter can you be?

They've come from 7th, won finals in Perth and Sydney, beaten the reigning 3-time champs at the G, and overcome some horrific injuries.

They deserve this as much as anyone and if they pull this off, it'll probably be the greatest premiership win in history.

Oct 9, 2004
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
CDFC

He was a flog over the umpires thing, calling it disgusting for Pyke to question it, when a year or so early he questioned the umpires over a minson report, he just comes across as a flog to me.

Crow54

23 year veteran.
Oct 9, 2000
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
He was a flog over the umpires thing, calling it disgusting for Pyke to question it, when a year or so early he questioned the umpires over a minson report, he just comes across as a flog to me.
Yep. I feel sorry for the supporters, but I'd be very happy if Beverage loses next week. (I also dislike Libber junior.)

Elite Crow

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts TheBrownDog
Mar 21, 2008
adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
I just don't get anyone wanting Sydney to win.

The same Sydney who took Tippett.

The same Sydney that despite being a powerhouse get AFL leg ups such as COLA and academy picks. Ok COLA is gone but Buddy and Tippett haven't disappeared.

* them, * the AFL and * Tippett.

Rotayjay

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 28, 2014
Adelaide, South Australia
AFL Club
Adelaide
Team that's been given no advantages and has overcome much adversity this season and finals series ... versus one of the AFL's babies who won a flag 4 years ago.

No brainer! Beveridge may be a flog, but he has just shown himself to be a gun coach. They just won three finals that few gave them any chance of winning. They're in the GF from 7th. Who the hell does that? No one, ever before.

Oct 9, 2004
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
CDFC
Team that's been given no advantages and has overcome much adversity this season and finals series ... versus one of the AFL's babies who won a flag 4 years ago.

No brainer! Beveridge may be a flog, but he has just shown himself to be a gun coach. They just won three finals that few gave them any chance of winning. They're in the GF from 7th. Who the hell does that? No one, ever before.
forgot about the umpiring through the year?

Rotayjay

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 28, 2014
AFL Club
Adelaide
forgot about the umpiring through the year?
I have largely forgotten about it, yes. I was very pissed about the umpiring when we played them, yes.

At this stage, I actually don't care anymore. They got an average of four more frees per game than Gold Coast: http://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/ft_team_rankings?year=2016&type=TA&sby=8 That's something, but I'd much rather they play in a grand final than the Great Waste of Space. A few dodgy calls and non-calls is insignificant compared with gifting the cream of two drafts to one team. Many will disagree, but last night was one of the most satisfying non-Crows footy results I have ever witnessed. The AFL's 'f***ing everyone for the good of the game' agenda versus gutsy football. Football won.

Oct 9, 2004
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
CDFC
I have largely forgotten about it, yes. I was very pissed about the umpiring when we played them, yes.

At this stage, I actually don't care anymore. They got an average of four more frees per game than Gold Coast: http://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/ft_team_rankings?year=2016&type=TA&sby=8 That's something, but I'd much rather they play in a grand final than the Great Waste of Space. A few more dodgy calls and non-calls is not nearly as bad as gifting the cream of two drafts to one team. Many will disagree, but last night was one of the most satisfying non-Crows footy results I have ever witnessed. The AFL's 'f***ing everyone for the good of the game' agenda versus pure football. Football won.
fair enough, was more talking about the whole season not just us, can't stand how they get away with ducking and throwing, hope it bites them on saturday, although i doubt it will, sydney will be up against a hungry 25.

Rotayjay

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 28, 2014
AFL Club
Adelaide
fair enough, was more talking about the whole season not just us, can't stand how they get away with ducking and throwing, hope it bites them on saturday, although i doubt it will, sydney will be up against a hungry 25.
Fair enough. I hate ducking and throwing as much as the next man. But like many, I'm caught up in the romance. The Crows are out of it, but I'm hoping for the elusive fairytale premiership for once this year.

May 10, 2009
Adelaide Oval
AFL Club
Adelaide
I just think he's passionate about his club and players, he actually speaks well when you listen to the full context of controversial things he says from time to time. I'm not sure how anyone could begrudge the Bulldogs winning a premiership, their supporters have been through enough crap over the years.

DD#23

Norm Smith Medallist
Dec 31, 2013
AFL Club
Adelaide
I just don't get anyone wanting Sydney to win.

The same Sydney who took Tippett.

The same Sydney that despite being a powerhouse get AFL leg ups such as COLA and academy picks. Ok COLA is gone but Buddy and Tippett haven't disappeared.

**** them, **** the AFL and **** Tippett.
I wanted Sydney and GWS to fight it out exactly because of this, they're easily the two least deserving sides in my opinion and I want there to be outrage about them knocking over a genuine side like the Bulldogs in a Grand Final.

the institutional rigging of the playing field is an absolute joke and its done under the premise that Sydney and GWS need those advantages to be competitive, when really its clear for all to see that its making them absolutely dominant. How many years in a row have Sydney been genuine flag threats? Then they pick up an absolute gun like Isaac Heeney with pick 18 (who just won the coaches best young player award by an absolute land slide). Then you've got GWS who took what, about 4 of their academy players at the draft last year? and only had to use piles of junk picks to pay under the AFL's new bidding system. That's to go with the ELEVEN of the first fourteen picks of the 2011 draft, most of which they've retained and are tracking towards 100 games now. And so what if they have to trade a few out? They'll only get more top picks for them like Treloar, so they can keep having tilts in September and just trade out a NEAFL player for a top 10 pick...

so in a way I'd love nothing more than the Dogs to take it out, but really think we need the outrage of "everybody's second team" and the fairytale getting smashed by the propped up Swans to see the change start happening. The greater good and all that. Meanwhile look at how few SA kids are being drafted and ask where the AFL is on that one? Maybe once they finish dumping all the money clubs like us, West Coast, Hawthorn, Collingwood etc are making them in NSW a bit might start coming back.

Aug 5, 2013
AFL Club
Adelaide
I have no preference for a winner next week, I kind of wanted an all NSW GF for amusement's sake but it's no big deal. Western Bulldogs' hypocritical banner this week will make it easier to enjoy the continuation of their 55 year wait though*. Maybe if Footscray were involved...

*having a "2nd team" is unacceptable, but it is ok to prefer one team lose.
** games where you personally know someone involved or your preferred sporting team has a vested interest excepted.

Last edited:
Jun 6, 2010
Viana do Castelo (Portugal)
AFL Club
Adelaide
The people blaming all the byes for GWS and Geelongs losses need to get a grip. This year Geelong lost to 3 bottom 8 sides (one of those sides were Carlton). GWS was hardly such a dominant force they were a monty for a premiership. This was a rare year where the top 6-7 sides were relatively even. The sides in the grand final are the most deserving and probably better sides.

Back