Preview Preliminary Final 1, GWS Giants vs Western Bulldogs, Sat 24th September, 5.15pm, Spotless Stadium

Remove this Banner Ad

Sep 6, 2012
Sydney
AFL Club
GWS
Other Teams
Thunder
Well, the Qualifying Final last week was just amazing.

Who would have thought we would brush aside the Swans so easily, or that the game would draw such a large crowd? In fact, it was a larger crowd than the Preliminary Final involving Collingwood in 2012. How things have changed since then.

I got the sense we were “on” early in the second quarter. The hunger was evident, and certainly reflected in the tackle count, which we won 96-64. That’s hunger - when it matters.

Leon didn’t really say that much in the presser. Why would he? We increased our lead at every break. You can’t ask for more than that.

Now things have gotten really serious. We’re in our first preliminary final.

I’m not surprised the Bulldogs made it through. They’ve played very well all year, despite bad luck with injuries. Their own hunger was obvious in the ruthless elimination of the Eagles, and Hawthorn, who they’ve just destroyed in similar fashion.

They’re a very good team, fast, intense, and relentless. After some early nerves, and inspired by Bontempelli, they came alive against the Hawks, and applied so much pressure it eventually blew the game open. Hawthorn were made to look old and slow, and their famous precision game fell apart.

I’m sure we all know we’re not exactly popular with the Bulldogs. There’s a feeling we’ve been on the receiving end of too many advantages. It started when Callan Ward moved north, and intensified when Ryan Griffen came on board as part of the Tom Boyd trade. Combined with the longest premiership drought in the league, it’s fed a sense of injustice. That's a very powerful motivator.

So we’ll need to bring our very best game to prevail.

Back in round 9, Bontempelli, Dahlhaus, Picken, Hunter, and Macrae were among their best. Almost exactly the same players were their best against the Hawks. It’s a cliché, but this game will largely be won out of the middle. The coaches will have plenty of work to do this week.

This will be a truly unique game. The Bulldogs haven’t made it to a grand final since 1961, and we have no experience at this level. It’s uncharted territory for both clubs, individual players excepted.

That said, I've no doubt we have what it takes to win on Saturday, so it’s going to be another belter. Let’s make sure we make our presence felt and pack out Spotless Stadium with a sea of orange.

I can't wait. Go Giants!

Last edited:

Really pumped for this. We have to be quick and clean inside, and give our outside run and spread a chance to blow them up. It is how we ended up cracking open the last game, and it the key to knocking off the dogs. They won't tire as quick as the Swanies I reckon, so it will be an arm wrestle.

First time in history a team has been given 12 day break followed by a 8 day break followed by an 8 day break.
This will test us,We wouldve thrashed an old hawthorn.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So the AFL gifts Bevo 9 straight games at Etihad and he still can't get a top 4 finish.

Then he throws a toy out his pram for having to play OUR Prelim at Spotless at his press conference last night.

Just embarrassing really, not the words of a winning Premiership coach.

I just love how they wanted everyone's support last year when they were dudded out of a home final having it moved from Etihad to the G. It was terrible. A home final is a home final. Oh woe is me.

But then this year we get a home final and it's a home final and it's all Waaa, waaa boo hoo woe is me. You should move it.

Effing Hypocrits.

Be interesting to see how the pre finals bye then the week off before the prelim effects us on field.

They have just played a hot game against the 3 time premiers and have gained lots of momentum.

We'll have to be at the top of our game. Quick ball movement will be the key.

First time in history a team has been given 12 day break followed by a 8 day break followed by an 8 day break.
This will test us,We wouldve thrashed an old hawthorn.
Yeah
Making a GF was never going to be easy though. I'm conflicted, I want us to win easily but cant escape the feeling we need a hard game before turning up in town, if we do get there.

What's with the ticket prices?

I know it's a prelim but it will be difficult to attract new Western Sydney based supporters who may be thinking about going along but would be turned off by those prices.

Surely it would be pragmatic of the AFL to lower the prices for this match with the intent of growing our fan base.

Be interesting to see how the pre finals bye then the week off before the prelim effects us on field.

They have just played a hot game against the 3 time premiers and have gained lots of momentum.

We'll have to be at the top of our game. Quick ball movement will be the key.
It wasnt really a bruising game either was it. So i dont think it would have taken much toll last night

I think tonights will be

It wasnt really a bruising game either was it. So i dont think it would have taken much toll last night

I think tonights will be

I would like to think that after two weeks of solid pressure footy the Dogs will drop away, surely they couldn't keep up the pressure that they have displayed against West Coast and the Hawks. Also see big Jezza and Jon Patton as harder match ups for the dogs given they are a little smaller down back, height up forward if you throw Lobbe up there may well stretch them. Also are mids are lot deeper rotation wise for them to conquer.

Be great for Ryan Griffen and Wardy to get one up on their old side and at the same time show big Boydy that $$$$ aren't everything.

Anyways what I want to say is we must win so I can take my son to the GF the week later as I said no to driving up next weekend.

Go Giants

Remove this Banner Ad

Back