Review Preliminary Final, 2020 - Brisbane Lions vs. Geelong

Who were your five best players against Geelong?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

May 5, 2016
AFL Club
Geelong
Guys just want to say bad luck. You’re a very very good side and have built on what you started last year. And in 12 months you’ll be there again.

Takes a lot of little steps to take the big step to winning flags and the Lions have taken another one this year. You’ve got a great team, great coach, hopefully you will go a step further again next year

Have the umps paid more than one throw out of the 32 that were dished out tonight ?
I'm pretty sure you mean "quick hands".

Actually, credit to BT actually calling that BS instead of just letting it slide like Bruce would.

Not great. Feel very bleh. Week off didn't help at all - looked flat and lethargic. Goalkicking sucked, mids (apart from Neale) got well and truly shown up. Credit to Geelong, they smashed us.

On the plus side, list is in great shape. We'll be back.

jackess

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts
Aug 10, 2005
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Need more midfield depth.

Rucks - were dominated
Neale - solid
Lyons - woeful
Zorko - poor
Clug - average
Robbo - horrible
CEY - gave nothing
Berry and Bailey - offered little.

While all of Geelongs midfielders were quite solid

EB5F941A-E0CA-4A4A-8A4A-1C8B14AAE4AA.png
EDD320BC-D6F3-475F-92E3-392377CE57EB.png

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Sausages

HIGH PRIEST IN THE TEMPLE OF GG/SNSD
Feb 27, 2007
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Luton Town
As I said in the matchday thread, we lost a Prelim in 99 - so let's chalk up tonight as just a bump in the road, not the end of an era. We've come a long way, year on year and there's plenty of good days ahead.

Let's see how we go in the trade period, enjoy our off-season and come back fresh and hungry in 2021.

Now I'm off to watch the Merseyside derby :)

Sanchez365

Club Legend
May 9, 2011
Melbourne/New York City
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
******* livid. But the cats won every quarter.

Not sure if it was worse to be the better team and get knocked out. Or just to have been soundly beaten in a prelim.

I feel like we lost it in the ruck and the forward line tonight. Barely locked it in our forward half all game.

Need more midfield depth.

Rucks - were dominated
Neale - solid
Lyons - woeful
Zorko - poor
Clug - average
Robbo - horrible
CEY - gave nothing
Berry and Bailey - offered little.

While all of Geelongs midfielders were quite solid
Still improvement in several of those and hopefully improvement in others outside the 22 forcing out the older underperformers.

On the positive side, if Payne gets enough votes we'll have a best rookie winner in the Player of the Year competition.

topend

Debutant
Oct 11, 2010
NT
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Cats a class above us. Certainly no point pointing the fingers at individuals saying “ they need to go”. We had our chances.

Another year of experience, we should still play finals again next year, a few retirements (Birch, Martin, Robinson?) and a belief that we at least CAN win in finals.

Still damn proud of the club. Just not our night, Dangerfield and Ablett wanted it more.

Also, Stanley made our rucks look like under 9s.

FLVanLandingham

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 3, 2017
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKK

Not tired, just not ...there

Special mentions to Payne who was solid, McCarthy who tried to lift us on his back in the third.

Other players played well (Neale, Andrews, Charles).. but other than that there was SO many players where I had to really think about their contribution. A massive shame.

I'm not smart enough to state whether the 2 changes led to some moments of ineptitude. Defensively I think it was more individual skill errors that led to goals, not breakdown of structures (other than once or twice.....) In the forwardline... Charles and Linc fired their shots, Hippy leapt a bit.. but other than that it was a cold dark night of... nothing much

Midfield came back after some bad first quarter, but the synergy was just not all that there.

Also we were out-coached (or their players played to their plan better)

* it, ONTO NEXT YEAR

proud of the boys regardless. THIS WAS A LEARNING EXPERIENCE REMEMBER

edit: and I'll go to my grave saying illegal disposal is a broken ******* rule, 'chaos ball', 'quick hands', and whatever the hell stupid inept commentators jerking off their favourite team call it.. Throws go uncalled every week. So many other rules/calls I am fine with the grey areas, but there is no grey area with a THROW compared to a handball. I may need my eye-sight checked and maybe their hands really are that quick. But I don't care if I'm wrong or irrational, throws are putrid.

Think Rayner will eventually end up playing more midfield time.

I'm sure Zorks has been playing injured for much of the year which hasn't helped.

Back