Review Preliminary Final, 2020 - Brisbane Lions vs. Geelong

Who were your five best players against Geelong?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Fagan mentioned Daniher in his presser after the game last night. I suspect the forward line is a bit more “front of mind” for our coach.

I was a few beers in by that stage 3KZ is Football so you'll have to forgive my foggy memory. :D Was he asked a question about Daniher directly?

Do you think Hawkins was the difference in the game last night?

I was a few beers in by that stage 3KZ is Football so you'll have to forgive my foggy memory. :D Was he asked a question about Daniher directly?

Do you think Hawkins was the difference in the game last night?
No, he brought it up. There were lots of differences. He was one of them.

I would have at least 6-8 cats ahead in my pain rankings before Hawk. He was good but his goals were put on a platter for him.

Nothing to do with your post, but just as an aside, how good was it watching Payne chasing / pressuring Rohan with Rohan not realizing how quick Payne was lol. Rohan still pulled away from him a bit, but he's one of the quickest in the league. Like the QE2 almost keeping up with a speed boat.

Nothing to do with your post, but just as an aside, how good was it watching Payne chasing / pressuring Rohan with Rohan not realizing how quick Payne was lol. Rohan still pulled away from him a bit, but he's one of the quickest in the league. Like the QE2 almost keeping up with a speed boat.

Yeah, I think I know the incident you're referring to.

On the Stanley street wing in the third quarter ....I think?????

Payne showed some serious toe to pursue and pressure Rowan

Was that when Rowan ended up stubbing it out of bounds?

Dylan12 thought we had a team that could not go all the way and I think he has been proven correct. Brab nails it. We are competitive but now the hard bit starts.

Warwick points out the lack of a classy half forward i.e. Sexton of Gold Coast, Parfitt or Myers of Geelong. A bloke kicking 35 to 40 goals. I expect Bailey and Starcevich to move into the midfield. We obvious would welcome such a player but a key forward is, well its the key.

Balladen and Fullarton have not played enough games so we have no idea what they will offer. Coleman may be the answer. The lack of injuries is a double edged sword when we consider what to go after at the draft.

The old 80:20 rule in action.

The best thing is we have players like Lachie, charlie, Bog O ... even Mitch who are still striving to improve and that drags the others who might not be so driven along with them. I anticipate that this years off season training will be as fiercely competitive as last years and we will be rewarded with our 15-30 placed players seeing big improvements. The elite will see very small rewards for their effort, but at their levels it will still impact.

IP address should be included in a posters profile ;)

Vpn's stuff that up though lol.
Can't think what could possibly go wrong with making that public knowledge.

Can anyone upload the vision of Berry and Lyons having a heated argument after a botched clearance - clearly, it was something that cut across Lyons and he was not happy. Very very rare to see this sort of thing in our team and it went on for a while. On another matter, was Berry at the Brownlow count?

We lost the game due to getting overrun in the midfield and ruck, and not applying enough pressure. Harris, Payne, Charlie, Neale and Ah Chee for me. Easy pick because most of the rest were pretty poor. I'm proud of the boys for getting to this point, but we need several changes to be worthy of a premiership.

Martin, Robbo and Birchall are all past it and should be phased out for younger men. CEY had his moments but he's a backup at best. We clearly need another midfielder, maybe Rayner or Dev or someone else. I thought Lester had a poor game also, and despite having quite a good season overall, I'm not sure he'll keep his spot in the side with the rise of Payne.

Hippy continues to be consistently inconsistent. Some great aerial play followed by awful kicking. Same with McStay but to an even greater extent. Daniher would be a definite upgrade on both. I wonder if Hippy should move into McStay's role of playing further up the ground so he doesn't have to kick for goal as much.

Coleman probably becomes a regular best 22 player next season, we missed his manic pressure and accurate passing. Oh well, lessons will be learned, onwards and upwards in 2021!
Thought Lester had a good game. Handled Danger strength wise pretty well I thought.

Can anyone upload the vision of Berry and Lyons having a heated argument after a botched clearance - clearly, it was something that cut across Lyons and he was not happy. Very very rare to see this sort of thing in our team and it went on for a while. On another matter, was Berry at the Brownlow count?

Really don’t see why this is repeatedly being brought up. The crowd was so loud they had to shout to hear each other it was maybe a bit heated but I’m not sure it was even an argument.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Is it in the spirit of the game to have what appears to be olive oil rubbed all over your shoulders and upper arms by the trainer just before each Q? I think it would make it very hard for the opposition when in a 1 v 1 wrestling situation. Hawkins, Danger, Selwood were three but there were others that were lathered in some type of oil.

Performance enhancing oil? Then we need to get on that! Bulk buy some sunflower oil (it's healthier if it accidentally gets in your mouth) from woollies STAT!! Cheap and legal......aaaaahhhhh, another piece to the being eventual premiers puzzle sorted!

ETA: My post is not sarcasm. I actually think little things like this might be of some use.

Last edited:

No he wasn't at the Brownlow........and whether the debate between Berry and Lyons was as heated as it looked or not, it wasn't a good look. We noticed it as did the commentators, so therefore the scene was perceived as a heated argument.

I personally think they were having a blue.......but Fages will see it in the review and sort out whatever it was quick smart I would think.

Do you think we held back from playing on the edge due to the fear of being rubbed out and not playing in GF?
As disappointing loss it was for all of us, NO. They gave it their best shot and were beaten by a side that played a better game and deserved the win. That said, most of our boys played their first Prelim Final of their lives and will take a lot away from that experience. The list is still a very young one but the experience gained over the last 3 seasons has been invaluable & will assist them when they lock & load for season 2021.

Lyons exited a clearance and ran into Berry if my memory serves me right. Think he was discussing positioning. End of the day we were shown up big time in the clearances - they won most of them and cleared them easily where as we were rushed.

Lyons exited a clearance and ran into Berry if my memory serves me right. Think he was discussing positioning. End of the day we were shown up big time in the clearances - they won most of them and cleared them easily where as we were rushed.

Agree 100% with your last sentence & believe thats our main weakness going into next year. In my mind, nothing is more important & should be our main focus during the trade period.

Agree 100% with your last sentence & believe thats our main weakness going into next year. In my mind, nothing is more important & should be our main focus during the trade period.
Centre bounces/Stoppages are quite complex with a lot of variables. Can you pinpoint where we went wrong?

One of the most obvious things from sat night was how easy Geelong players broke our tackles. Guys like Ablett/ Blicavs just waltzed through and when we did tackle them they still got handballs away. The big bodies of Geelong players was a massive factor - many of our under 23 players are still building in that department.

Tackling and our ability to win clearances has improved ten fold but Cats showed us Saturday night we still have a way to go in those areas.

I agree ,it was frightening how they were able to smash us and be so clean out of clearances whereas when we did get our chance we were rushed and generally gave the next guy in the chain not much hope .That's where we lost this game.

But it doesn't mean we didn't have other areas where we'd still need to do a lot better to go to the next level.

One of the most obvious things from sat night was how easy Geelong players broke our tackles. Guys like Ablett/ Blicavs just waltzed through and when we did tackle them they still got handballs away. The big bodies of Geelong players was a massive factor - many of our under 23 players are still building in that department.

Tackling and our ability to win clearances has improved ten fold but Cats showed us Saturday night we still have a way to go in those areas.
Because they were oiled up.
Not sure how they can allow that to happen.

Back