Review Preliminary Final, 2022 - Geelong vs. Brisbane Lions

Who were your five best players against Geelong?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Cats got their match ups perfect and their player depth showed. Worked harder. And we applied very little pressure. No real intensity. Especially in the ruck - that was very disappointing after knocking off Gawn last week.

Our basic skill errors really killed any momentum - some horrendous field kicking from our midfield group.

Kudos to Gardiner - tough opponent when the ball's coming in that fast.

Still Blues beat us by 82 points in 2000 at the G - another very disappointing game .. and yet 12 months ( and Mal Michael ) later we flog Bombers for a flag.

Fagan’s level headed so am certain that he had his justifications on not having a big send off for Mitch after the tigers game. Like I posted earlier Mitch very well could’ve played in the prelim or GF if we had made it (injury or selection change).

Not a fan of him mentioning Fagan in his Instagram post. Might’ve been him feeling like he had to justify himself to supporters for not having announced it at the game and not a dig at Fagan though.
Certain that Fafan had justification
Tbf, he is pretty simple...
Tbf, he is pretty simple...
The fact you need to write that about someone who is an icon in the club and you don’t know personally says lots about you. Go and support someone else with your simpleton comments.

Cats got their match ups perfect and their player depth showed. Worked harder. And we applied very little pressure. No real intensity. Especially in the ruck - that was very disappointing after knocking off Gawn last week.

Our basic skill errors really killed any momentum - some horrendous field kicking from our midfield group.

Still Blues beat us by 82 points in 2000 at the G - another very disappointing game .. and yet 12 months ( and Mal Michael ) later we flog Bombers for a flag.
Thought the same with Andrews. I’ve been critical of him but gee watching close up the ball coming in and you got big Hawkins one out or on the lead. Did well I thought, the midfield and forwards never game them a break down back.

Didn’t Geelong lose by 80+pts in their prelim last year? The stupid is strong in this one…

Lyon was talking literally as in we are out of the race for the flag so in terms of this year we are now irrelevant. He wasn't saying we have no chance next year etc., in that sense he is correct.

Lyon was talking literally as in we are out of the race for the flag so in terms of this year we are now irrelevant. He wasn't saying we have no chance next year etc., in that sense he is correct.

Aren’t commentators meant to add to the coverage not state of the obvious

Replacing Fort after his magnificent outing last week was a poor decision and again hghlights the coaches and there favourites. So what if O wasn't selected last night. It was the same as reverting back to the 3 key forward just b/c they were all available despite knowing that (a) we looked better in recent weeks not playing that set-up and (b) the weather conditions last night werent conducive to that set up - For some reason, O is held up way higher than he ought to be.

but again, the coaches are so set on some magic formula they have that it blinds them - just like religiously playing Lyons for months when he was doing nothing and we could all see he should have been dropped, to only learn he had groin issues. Again we looked better without Lyons this year but again we stubbornly played this magic formula out of fear of I dont know what.

As others have said, we need to be more confident in playing other members of the squad so they are getting games and ready when called upon stop feeling we cant rest guys or not play guys that are injured (Lyons and Joe who should have had shoulder surgery after the swans game) and not feel that everyone has to play 20-22 games per season - like others have said Geelong have done well.

Well, yeah - tough night at the office lol.

We can dissect it ad infinitum, but simple reality is they were far too good on the night.Which sucks, but that's footy :)

What doesn't change is our underlying love for the club and the joy (I hope) we are all taking in being a proper, competitive footy club.

About the only thing I'd like to see is a development of our ruthlessness, our killer instinct. Whereby we maul opponents right from the first bounce and never take the foot off the throat. I get the impression that we are still lacking that confident "over-confidence" as it were. Respecting our opponents doesn't mean we give them time and space when the game starts - frankly, there's a bunch of teams that shouldn't get within 10 goals of us, but we don't routinely blow these teams off the park, as we are just too nice :p

Being nice to the opposition doesn't win flags. Ruthless, relentless pressure from opening bounce of Round 1 until the final siren on GF day does.

That being said, I still feel the season was overall a success. We are the next tier, maybe 2 tiers, below where we need to be. Some personnel changes, a tinkering with the game plan and a cultivation of aforementioned professional ruthlessness should hopefully be on the menu for the coming off-season.

I
BELIEVE
:D

LIONS
LIONS
LIONS
LIONS
LIONS
LIONS
LIONS
LIONS
LIONS
LIONS
:D

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Aren’t commentators meant to add to the coverage not state of the obvious
One naturally hopes so, but we rarely get it. The channel 7 commentary team wih the exception of Hodge are pretty bloody ordinary with BT just a braindead mororn who panders to the dimwited and simpletons of the world. So embarrassing that this is supposedly the best of what we have.

Probably not my place to comment, but lost a lot of respect for Robinson from his post-game comments. Although, I think he's clearly been net very positive from a cultural perspective, he's prone to occasional toxicity. I thought him having a go at Neale in the Elimination Final while Neale played the game of his life and Robbo was a liability was pretty telling.

My brother saw him carrying on like a w***er and getting kicked out of Jade Buddha a few years ago. He's a Lions fan, said all the players that were there were off their faces, but approachable and harmless, so Robbo's antics stood out a bit.

On one hand I can empathise with his frustrations, but not sure if the immediate wash-up after the game is the time to air them. Probably not the kind of stunt you'd want to be pulling if you're potentially looking for a new home either.

Replacing Fort after his magnificent outing last week was a poor decision and again hghlights the coaches and there favourites. So what if O wasn't selected last night. It was the same as reverting back to the 3 key forward just b/c they were all available despite knowing that (a) we looked better in recent weeks not playing that set-up and (b) the weather conditions last night werent conducive to that set up - For some reason, O is held up way higher than he ought to be.
It wasn’t a poor decision and playing favourites if they genuinely believe that Oscar is a better Ruck than Fort.

And the Structure last week was exactly the same as this week.
A Ruck replaced a Ruck and a tall forward replaced a tall forward.
You have been listening to the media too much.

One naturally hopes so, but we rarely get it. The channel 7 commentary team wih the exception of Hodge are pretty bloody ordinary with BT just a braindead mororn who panders to the dimwited and simpletons of the world. So embarrassing that this is supposedly the best of what we have.
Between him and JB I'm almost missing ******* Bruce at this point.

I agree on Hodge though. He's great to listen to. Richo is also quality IMO, but it's painful listening to him make a good point, BT misinterpet it and clown on him, have the point clarified, and continue arguing against his misinterpretation of the point.

Didn’t Geelong lose by 80+pts in their prelim last year? The stupid is strong in this one…

Damn, that hurts ouch :(

Blow that sucker up, print it out and affix it to the walls of the changing rooms :D

They should have given him his send off the game against Melbourne. He has every right to be pi##%d off Nothing poor at all about his reaction.
Disagree. He can announce his retirement after our season is done & dusted. Totally selfish act in my opinion to take away focus on the job at hand the team had. He's putting himself first instead of the team and I can tell you the club was not impressed. (not the first time he has pissed off players/coach's this season) In my opinion, he leaves the club the wrong way and should apologize to Fagan and publically say he was wrong in making those comments.
Paint this scenario: We win against Melbourne &/or Geelong but have injuries that descimate our stock of wingmen/mids and then need Robbo to come in to play....however....he has retired!!! Unprofessional and disappointing.

Lyon is one of the biggest ********s in football journalism.

If you get Dunkley and potentially Gunston to go along with Ashcroft and Fletcher, it's likely to be comfortably the best list turnover of any top 8 team, and that includes Richmond getting Hopper and Taranto.

Hipwood, Rayner, Andrews all in the top 10 most important players or so, and finished the year in much better form than they started it. Berry is in that same category after a few injury interrupted years. McCarthy and Daniher also down on form in a forward line that still managed to be one highest scoring.

Players like Starcevich, Bailey, and Coleman are already vitally important, and have plenty of room for growth (Coleman I think will push for AA selection next year). Then players like Robertson, Payne (if Gardiner goes), and Wilmot will have the benefit of hopefully a full year of being in the best 22.

To suggest that Brisbane are nowhere near it shows absolutely no understanding of the list profile and context, IMO.

Anyway, excuse all the intrusions, trying to avoid the Swans thread and pretend the game doesn't exist until about 5 minutes before it starts to keep the nerves in check.

Looking at Matho's stats makes you wonder what the others were doing for the night. One thing I hate about us sometimes is they stand off and wait for someone else to do it. Unfortunately only Lachie and Rhys hunt the ball consistently.
We need a firestarter - some one who galvanises. It was so evident when Rhys came on that he was actually up for in - inside in the heat. Taking them on.

Maybe bring Fort in to replace McStay and let Big O go forward more. Ashcroft, Dunkley, Neale and Matho could be a scintillating combo in mid, with Rayner, Berry, Cameron... Heck there's a lot of positive options isn't there!!! As disappointing as last night was, there is a solid foundation that should see us stay in contention for years to come. But one things is becoming evident - winning 10+ games in a row is becoming commonplace, our WLWLWL isn't going to cut it. See you all for a big 2023.

There were two very rough calls in the first quarter, the Starcevich holding the ball and the Wilmot one. Both lead to goals. No problem with allowing the player to move back off the line for a kick after the siren, that's been a rule for a while as long as he kicks it before his line it's no problem.

That first quarter though I thought we were really on top, bar some freakish goals. Dangerfields first was from a clear Neale center cleances then turnover, then he kicked another with a random snap out of a pack and then two move snaps from the pockets.

Our pressure completely dropped in the second though.
First quarter we had more of the ball, but still really struggled to score. Geelong moved it much better when they had it and scored so much more easily on us when they did get an entry. Writing was on the wall, needed to change the plays up and didn't. Really got smashed in the mid and their forwards always seemed to have so much space :(

Wing AttendancePreliminary FinalGeelongMCG
Names
Q1
Q2
Q3
Q4
Total
Percentage
Bottom​
Bottom​
Bottom​
Bottom​
Robertson
3​
1​
3​
7​
12.50%​
Ah Chee
3​
2​
3​
2​
1​
1​
5​
17​
30.36%​
Answerth
3​
2​
2​
5​
2​
3​
1​
18​
32.14%​
Berry
3​
7​
3​
1​
14​
25.00%​

Big props this week to me because I never have to watch any of this game ever again!

Back