Review Preliminary Final, 2022 - Geelong vs. Brisbane Lions

Who were your five best players against Geelong?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Disagree. He can announce his retirement after our season is done & dusted. Totally selfish act in my opinion to take away focus on the job at hand the team had. He's putting himself first instead of the team and I can tell you the club was not impressed. (not the first time he has pissed off players/coach's this season) In my opinion, he leaves the club the wrong way and should apologize to Fagan and publically say he was wrong in making those comments.
Paint this scenario: We win against Melbourne &/or Geelong but have injuries that descimate our stock of wingmen/mids and then need Robbo to come in to play....however....he has retired!!! Unprofessional and disappointing.
My thoughts on Robbo is he could have come out in round 15/16 when it was pretty clear that he wouldn't get a contract for 2023 and say that it was his last year at the Lions. This would have got it out of the way before finals and allowed Lions supporters to cheer him on whenever he did play and clap him off.

INSTEAD, he was completely oblivious to the fact that he isn't performing at AFL level anymore and the best way forward for the club was to move him to the reserves and blood younger players. He has been extremely selfish and has held onto hope that at 33, and underperforming, he would keep getting picked, when it was clearly not the right thing for the club to win a premiership. Extremely disappointing and IMO shows a side to his personality which is not well received by some.

Hit the bottle a little too hard last night so the reality of what happened didn't really set in until earlier today.

Love this team to death, keep ya chins up lads. To come from 6th to a prelim took a mighty effort, and these past two weeks have been the best I've felt mentally in ages. The ride may have been bumpy but I loved it.

Ashcroft, Dunkley and maybe Gunston next year and we'll be a tough team to stop if our young guys keep improving like we hope they will. It's also comforting in a way to know that we just aren't quite there yet. Maybe people will adjust their expectations accordingly.

My thoughts on Robbo is he could have come out in round 15/16 when it was pretty clear that he wouldn't get a contract for 2023 and say that it was his last year at the Lions. This would have got it out of the way before finals and allowed Lions supporters to cheer him on whenever he did play and clap him off.

INSTEAD, he was completely oblivious to the fact that he isn't performing at AFL level anymore and the best way forward for the club was to move him to the reserves and blood younger players. He has been extremely selfish and has held onto hope that at 33, and underperforming, he would keep getting picked, when it was clearly not the right thing for the club to win a premiership. Extremely disappointing and IMO shows a side to his personality which is not well received by some.
My thoughts - sounds like you should be posting in the womens weekly. Why would you post this comment if you don’t know the facts. You’ve just made something up. Bit sad how the few commenting here have turned this into a Robbo bashing session based on pure speculation.

My thoughts - sounds like you should be posting in the womens weekly. Why would you post this comment if you don’t know the facts. You’ve just made something up. Bit sad how the few commenting here have turned this into a Robbo bashing session based on pure speculation.
Look at leigh matthews, he pulled the plug on his own accord when he could sense that he wasn't the right man anymore. Robbo has had no ability to sense that, i'm not making things up, just saying he has not been able to read the room.

Everyone can retire if they want to, without asking a coach if they are allowed to retire.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

What speculation is involved in having the opinion that Mitch should have waited at least until 24 hours after a prelim loss to post that on instagram? If he wants to have a crack at fages in a few days, no issue with me, that's his prerogative. I'm not inclined to agree with him but I have no inside knowledge at all so can't say what went on.

Also what the hell does the bolded refer to? That because someone disagrees with you they should be writing for a magazine for women? Pretty pathetic stuff.

As the day has marched on, I have settled my spiritual imbalance over last night.

Footy is eternal :p

Focus now turns to hoping Collingwood don't make the GF either :D

Was a morose experience at the MCG last night, right from the first 5 minutes the result felt inevitable but I clung on to the hope of a miracle comeback way too long, it was like men against boys.

Can at least bask in the euphoria of 2 fantastic close finals wins this season.

It can turnaround very quickly, the Cats got smashed by more than we did last night in last years Preliminary Final.

Was a morose experience at the MCG last night, right from the first 5 minutes the result felt inevitable but I clung on to the hope of a miracle comeback way too long, it was like men against boys.

Can at least bask in the euphoria of 2 fantastic close finals wins this season.

It can turnaround very quickly, the Cats got smashed by more than we did last night in last years Preliminary Final.
It was an equally morose experience watching from the lounge chair here in Brisbane.

Like you, I 'd rather look on the positive side. The two Finals wins got double monkeys off our back. They were as meritorious as they were exhilarating.

After a disappointing end to the H&A season and falling to 6th, I would have taken making a PF.

In the end we were just cooked and had no answer to the class and power of Geelong and although disappointing, I actually feel no shame.

Will Ashcroft and probably Dunkley into the midfield next season and we have much to look forward to.

Certain that Fafan had justification

The fact you need to write that about someone who is an icon in the club and you don’t know personally says lots about you. Go and support someone else with your simpleton comments.
:cool: icon of the club...no worries, mate. Good luck for the future, Robbo :p

Everyone else, enjoy the off season and check in again next season.

Heartbreaking. Grateful we went two further than I expected but not a good way to end the year. Geelong were way too good.

I guess go Sydney? Only team left with players no players that will induce vomitting if I have to watch them win a medal.
Papley would induce vomiting . . . quite a bit

Back