Review Preliminary Final, 2022 - Geelong vs. Brisbane Lions

Who were your five best players against Geelong?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Felt like 2020 again, we break new ground, cross a threshold and take down multiple hoodoos for one of our greatest victories of all time only to be completly destroyed by Geelong in the next game in a prelim final.

At least in the prelim 2 years ago we were still a chance at 3QT even though the scoreboard flattered us that night.

So he gets a send off at the gabba… and if he plays the second week, third week or the granny does he get another send off?
I don't think he was ever realistically getting picked - Matho, Prior, Fort would all have been ahead of him in my opinion. But I did post further down in retrospect I understand Fages call and his timing of posting was extremely poor

Not sure I've ever seen a better team defence display than Geelong there, just never let us into it.

Rayner was our best until he went off, he just slowed down in the clinches and seemed to have more time than anyone else, last third of the year he has been consistently one of our best when on the field. Hopeful he can really step up next year.

Thought Oscar was very poor early when we needed him firing. Padded stats out a bit when we were already out of it.

Yes the entries weren't good at all but still think the forward line needed to do better, they have gone missing on a few occasions this year.

Matho was probably our best player while on the ground.

It is as plain as day to me he is best 22 and should have been played all year and his non selection I think tells a tale.

Posters are saying we injected some pace late in the year. That 'late in year' is a problem. Fages must be more creative, change things, adjust the system etc. rather than do the same things he has been doing for four years. I think most posters would say he has been a 'bit stuck in the mud'.

Our forward line is full of handy forwards, only one is elite (Charlie). Joe, McStay, McCarthy and Hipwood have weeks on end where they do very little. At half time we had got three forward half disposals. Many will talk about delivery but great forwards win the contest and the above four? I suppose the three talls is the result of not having confidence in any other system or players but they have been only handy this year. With Dan leaving we can change the system and hopefully not be so locked in step.

I hope Lyons gets over his injury and Dunkley would be essential for us to move forward as Zorks is getting on a bit.

Going to my grandson's first birthday 9and his Mum's birthday so the sun has risen

Go Lions and see you all next year

Last night reminded us of where we were at the end of round 23.
In the elimination and semi finals we played better without three tall fwds. Those two games give us and the playing group hope. We were unpredictable. Went back to predictable for the prelim and were pantsed.
Score from turnover last night was unacceptable.

Pre season hopes

Daniher builds endurance to actually apply pressure. Hope he learns to bring the ball to ground instead of playing for frees and flailing around like a new born giraffe. Against defensively good teams next year he’s going to be a liability. Fagan and the coaching group have some big call to make with him. His game style just has to change for us to get to a grand final.

Answerth works HARD on his disposal. Was overawed last night.
At least two goals a game he gives away. Other teams leave him free for a reason. They know there is a high probably it’ll come straight back to them. If he can’t fix it he needs to be replaced.

Fort to go past Big O. Should’ve been our advantage last night, and a few times it was, but I thought Oscar was out bodied far too often around the ground. The ease in which they got away from clearances was staggering.

Full preseason into Cam and Hippy. They were our finals highlights for me. Cam BOG till he went off. Full confidence in those knees in 2023.

Payne to find some mongrel. He was pretty good last night. Want him to use his size and strength against his opponents more.

Persist with Wilmot. Bigger body next year will help. Love the way he takes the game on. Also hoping Lohman can get into the 22. Feel there excitement will be infectious in 23.

Finally hats off to the Cats and Chris Scott. Completely and utterly outplayed and out coached last night. We never really had a sniff.
Good luck to the Swan or pies knocking them off.

Bring on 2023🦁’s

Not sure I've ever seen a better team defence display than Geelong there, just never let us into it.

Rayner was our best until he went off, he just slowed down in the clinches and seemed to have more time than anyone else, last third of the year he has been consistently one of our best when on the field. Hopeful he can really step up next year.

Thought Oscar was very poor early when we needed him firing. Padded stats out a bit when we were already out of it.

Yes the entries weren't good at all but still think the forward line needed to do better, they have gone missing on a few occasions this year.
Good post - I am not going to remotely blame the umps for the loss but bloody hell, they gave us absolutely nothing and didn't miss anything Geelong's way, which made it more tougher than it needed to be. The free against Wilmont on the Q time siren was just about it - he was taken high and then harshly adjudicated HTB. Not to mention then allowing the Cats player a snap which if you watch any other goal after the siren players are made to run in a straight line.

Hopefully these 3 blind umps are not rewarded with a GF b/c it was an atrocious display and just to be clear - the umps did not cost us the game in anyway shape or form but you could see they were one sided. Swans are going to find it touugh.

Does anyone have any idea of the Mitch situation and what the issues might be?

Mitch did say ‘this was my last game at the Gabba’ in interviews didn’t he?

Did he want a chair at home mid campaign? What if he got picked again? We all knew it was his last game?

This is obviously why he was upset in that post earlier in the week, he knew his good bye game wasn’t happening.

I am not sure (if true) why Fages would have a an issue with Mitch announcing ‘I am finishing up’ even if he is going to another club, hardly a distraction? There must be something more to it.

I think Mitch should understand that going into you last year/years things don’t always work out perfectly, we will all get the chance to say thank you - just through social media which is where he connects anyway, missing a home chairing off mid finals should not be catalyst to take a swipe at the coach on the way out.

He had his entire family there - said that hasn't happen in a decade.

Wife and kids on the ground with a professional photographer getting memory photos.

Was clear it was definately an ending of an era.

He probably did want to get chaired off - most players with 250 odd games are afforded that respect. There aren't a lot of them.

Gotta wonder if the rumours of our guys being unwell through the week might have had some truth to them. We looked completely flat all over the park, a completely different team to the last two weeks.
Fantastic idea, we should leak that gastro went through the team. This is what the Geelong pr department does whenever they lose a prelim - a good learning for us.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Good post - I am not going to remotely blame the umps for the loss but bloody hell, they gave us absolutely nothing and didn't miss anything Geelong's way, which made it more tougher than it needed to be. The free against Wilmont on the Q time siren was just about it - he was taken high and then harshly adjudicated HTB. Not to mention then allowing the Cats player a snap which if you watch any other goal after the siren players are made to run in a straight line.

Hopefully these 3 blind umps are not rewarded with a GF b/c it was an atrocious display and just to be clear - the umps did not cost us the game in anyway shape or form but you could see they were one sided. Swans are going to find it touugh.
Has this ever happened before? I don't think I've ever seen it. Couldn't believe it. The 50/50 calls did seem to go against us in QTR1 and that last goal took the wind out of us a bit.

The club might actually have to employ a media department with Robbo retiring

Mitch has 40,000 followers of his vlog, and a lot aren't lions members. And there are more people that watch it but don't click the follow button.

That's a lot of free advertising he has given the club, and there will be kids especially who support the lions because of the vlogs.

The club work with him on the vlogs to ensure he isn't giving away confidential information - they know what he has achieved.

They also know the value of that advertising. It's massive.

No other player has ever provided that service to the club as well as playing 150 odd games.

So yes, his situation is different. I think he has the right to feel disappointed.

Out coached out played , we were belted everywhere , didn’t see the commitment or resolve needed to beat a team like Geelong , not many earned their pay last night

Sad finish but we need the pain to hurt and take it into next season , a lot needs to be learnt , we need some genuine toughness

Too good too big too fit , hardened mature superstars with lot's of finals experience equals a great football program on and off the field.
We need to strive to be that way.

Too good too big too fit , hardened mature superstars with lot's of finals experience equals a great football program on and off the field.
We need to strive to be that way.

Id suggest we already have a lot of finals experience just Geelong have a ridiculous amount.

Kids like Payne, Wilmot, Kiddy, Bailey, etc. have all experienced at least a few tough finals

I agree about Rayner Carter. One of the only positives to take from last night's slack effort. Rayners cameo performance before injury has provided me with something exciting to linger on during the off season. I think the dynamo has finally arrived.

I think it is also important to remember, although hard to swallow the morning after, that we r on a journey to a win a magnificent premiership. Took years for the Tiges and I think the Cats lost last yrs prelim by more than we did yesterday. We have hopefully an influx of exciting talent next season so the future looks extremely bight. Enjoy ur off season n trade period n draft.😁

What promised to be a great night, turned into a nightmare. We stuck with them in the first qtr and actually had a period of 5/10 mins where I thought we had all the ball but couldn't penetrate the cats defence.

Second qtr it was obvious they were to strong all over the ground. Very well set up and we played into their hands kicking/hacking the ball down the throat of the spare man. McStay also tried his old trick of trying to mark three deep which meant the cats just had a spare float across and mark every time. Credit to Chris Scott he has always coached his defence to do this and do it well and no team ever stops it. Floating across the back taking marks - hmmm wonder where he got that idea from - watching Leppa do it for years in our glory days?

After half time it was just one way traffic as you would expect - Cats knew they were off to the big dance and we just dropped our heads - it happens in finals. Geelong players just ran forward every time there was a turnover with no fear. They are brilliant from turnovers. We had no idea how to defend there run and our game plan looked very poor compared to the way the Cats played.

Few things I noticed at the ground last night. Neale was treated like a rag doll and I can't remember him getting a free once? Atkins from Geelong at times just grabbed his arm and stopped him from running - umpiring to allow that to happen was very average. But we really need to get support for Neale. He gets tagged / man handled like that we need others to step up. Dunkley and Ashcroft will help.

I think our forward line is too tall? Last week we looked much better with Hippy at full forward and a smaller more mobile forward line. Daniher is a worry.

Rayner was doing some nice things before that injury. Happened right in front of me and was a huge smack sound. I feared the worst. I saw he came back on the ground but didn't last long. Hopefully he is up and running for pre season and set for a big 2023. We need Cam to take his game to the next level.

Selwood is still a serial ducker and protected by umpires. Great player but can't stand him.

Was so wonderful to see the thousands upon thousands of Lions supporters at the ground. Would be interested to hear other people's opinions who were there last night but I reckon easily over 20,000 Lions supporters. Train trip home was sad but the train was full of Lions supporters.

Swans fan but Lions member as I live in BNE.

Disappointed for you guys but I think the writing has been on the wall for a while now. Lions inside midfield has become a one man show in Lachie. Nullify him and you essentially stop the Lions. Zorko is done as an onballer, McLuggage not hard enough and Lyons just seems to have fallen off a cliff. Ashcroft and hopefully Dunkley will make a massive difference for you guys in 2023. You also need a guy who can take a contested mark and crash packs in F50. Daniher and Hippie just don't play that style and McStay is likely gone. I actually think Big O is the guy for that, like he used to when Stef was the ruck.

But overall a good season and I think with the guys to come in next year, Lions are still going to be competitive, certainly around the top 4.

There were two very rough calls in the first quarter, the Starcevich holding the ball and the Wilmot one. Both lead to goals. No problem with allowing the player to move back off the line for a kick after the siren, that's been a rule for a while as long as he kicks it before his line it's no problem.

That first quarter though I thought we were really on top, bar some freakish goals. Dangerfields first was from a clear Neale center cleances then turnover, then he kicked another with a random snap out of a pack and then two move snaps from the pockets.

Our pressure completely dropped in the second though.

Luke power got carried out after his final game as a lion at the Gabba then went to GWS the next year
Luke Power was retiring and wasn't intending to play on at that stage. GWS changed his mind well after that point. Robbo has been keeping the door open to date.

It was also Luke's actual last game (Round 23), whereas Robbo may have had a game thereafter given he'd been in and out of the team to that point.

Also from memory they also didn't announce Power's last game prior to the game, so most of the crowd had left at that point anyway.

Back