VFL Game Day Preliminary Final: Casey vs Essendon, North Port Oval, Saturday 15/09/18 @ 2:10 PM

Remove this Banner Ad

Yup. Potting their effort is way wide of the mark; it was more the execution that fell apart a bit and that's why we lost the game.

If that’s the way you and others see it, then I won’t begrudge you that. The way I see it is that failing to enter the forward half in 15 minutes of football—and barfing it up every time we finally did—is not indicative of a full effort when the game was there to be won, irrespective of the previous three quarters. I don’t deserve to be called a rubbish supporter for a dissenting opinion, harsh as it may be. At this stage I reckon I’m entitled to ask for more than good enough without having to deal with idiotic “you go do it then” arguments.

BZT looks a fine replacement for one of our KPDs in around 2020.
indeed. my 2020 vision quite clearly sees him being a key member of our backline.

If that’s the way you and others see it, then I won’t begrudge you that. The way I see it is that failing to enter the forward half in 15 minutes of football—and barfing it up every time we finally did—is not indicative of a full effort when the game was there to be won, irrespective of the previous three quarters. I don’t deserve to be called a rubbish supporter for a dissenting opinion, harsh as it may be. At this stage I reckon I’m entitled to ask for more than good enough without having to deal with idiotic “you go do it then” arguments.
1. The wind made it very hard
2. Casey stepped it up a notch in terms of their pressure

Casey basically barely entered their 50 for a similar period in the third quarter. Were they not trying?

You don't deserve to be called a rubbish supporter for it, but it's pretty easy to pot effort from the comfort of the sidelines and in a game in conditions as bad as that, given what I saw today, I don't believe it's fair to zero in on effort as the problem.

Look... I'll happily apologise for going the "rubbish supporter" route. But I'm so sick of seeing players bust their gut to win a game and have their "supporters" abuse them when they end up in a losing position. Sure, there are dumb decisions by players along the way, but to can the whole team for apparently not trying is just ridiculous.

Absolutely everything was against them in that last quarter... but one thing that wasn't lacking was their effort.

Our VFL game is centred around contested ball and they hammered us at that. Ripper game, but we've lost to the team I feel is the best in the comp (and have said so since early June). It was a fantastic game and we made a few mistakes but I'm very proud of our effort.

Ridley, Draper, Clarke, take a bow. Riddler a monty for best finals player IMO.

Shocking conditions suited Casey.

Bigger bodied, older and more seasoned Casey players were a fraction better than us.

Draper, Mutch and Clarke played awesome games given their age. Hocking was a great captain, barking instructions continuously.

Ridley is so composed. Francis played well. Conditions didn't suit Zach-Thatcher but he still played well. As did Hartley who took some nice marks. Perhaps he should have gone forward Hooker style.

Jake Long did some really nice things.

Disappointed we couldn't win and get into a Grand Final but reckon the guys gave their all and very proud of their effort. The experience will do our young guys wonders.

UiURFV8.png

raUmSXu.png

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back