VFLW Preliminary Final - Collingwood v Geelong @ Port Melbourne - 11.45am Sun 16 Sept - LIVE STREAM

Remove this Banner Ad

Oct 10, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Port Melbourne (VFL)
This Sunday Geelong take on the Magpies at Stannards Stadium (North Port Oval) in the VFLW Preliminary Final.

First bounce is at 11.45am, with the winner to face Hawthorn next Sunday at Marvel Stadium (formerly Etihad Stadium) in the Grand Final.

Finals tickets are adults $15, concession/pensioners $10 and kids under 15 free.

The game will on the radio from 11am via RSN Carnival digital radio, the RSN Racing & Sport App or rsn.net.au/digital-radio

The game will also be video streamed from 11.40am on Sunday via the below link:

Geelong Cats preliminary final team:

B: 26. R. Pearce, 44. R. Goring, 40. A. Teague

HB: 34. A. McDonald, 25. E. Coventry, 1. J. Woollett

C: 4. C. Blakeway, 13. M. Fogas, 3. H. Burchell

HF: 17. H. Mangan, 5. J. Ivey, 2. D. Orr

F: 7. M. Clifford, 6. M. Boyd, 8. K. Darby

R: 46. E. Hoare, 30. R. Cranston, 45. M. Keryk

Int: 28. M. Fedele, 24. M. McMahon, 41. C. Stevens, 33. H. Trevean

23P: 16. O. Purcell

Emg: 23. I. Currenti, 15. M. Janssen, 10. L. Taylor, 35. K. Woodroffe

In: L. Taylor, I. Currenti, K. Woodroffe, M. Fedele, M. Janssen

Out: N. Morrison

Last edited:
Morrison out?
Hmm, injured or managed I wonder, she was in our top 3-4 players last week.
Bit of a blow.

Illness (leather poisoning). ;)

Interesting that Erin Hoare has been named since she finished the game last week in a moon boot.

Illness (leather poisoning). ;)

Interesting that Erin Hoare has been named since she finished the game last week in a moon boot.

Hoare being named surprised me - hopefully she is ok and doesn't re-injure her foot

Re Morrison - from the Geelong Addy:
Nina Morrison will miss the clash with school commitments

Can we find out which school she attends and force them to release her from said commitments for Sunday's match - surely football is more important than school...

This is really the first game I've sat down and watched, how much of that is just the level of talent and skill though?
I agree otherwise, our use forward is pretty ordinary.
It's exactly about skill level - some of the girls have grown up on football while others are converts from other sports and you can see that is execution.

In 10 years time I expect that we will be seeing a much improved skill set and level of match as we start to see the girls who are now growing up playing football and realising that they can continue to play at a much higher level once they turn 16/18 etc.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

In saying that though our AFL team (mens) could take a leaf from these girls tackling, good pressure and tackling and getting reward for effort.
They've won more holding the ball frees in 35 minutes of footy than we did all year...
Exactly - the skills may be lacking somewhat, but can't fault the endeavour & intensity they bring; what should be non-negotiable they do really well

Happy to take a 11 point lead into half time

We need to have a good third quarter because it does seem that the team kicking to the Bob Bennett end has been controlling the play.

There's a slight breeze here but it feels more across the ground rather than necessarily strongly favouring either end - I'm standing on the wing across from the grand stand and the wind is almost straight onto my face rather than one side getting colder than the other

Boyd can play, is she one the AFLW team has picked up?
This is the current list as per our website:

• Rebecca Goring
  • Renee Garing
  • Mel Hickey
  • Kate Darby
  • Phoebe McWilliams
  • Erin Hoare
  • Richelle Cranston
  • Maddie Boyd
  • Anna Teague
  • Cassie Blakeway
  • Jordan Ivey
  • Danielle Orr
  • Meghan McDonald
  • Julia Crockett-Grills
  • Hayley Trevean
  • Mia-Rae Clifford
  • Hannah Burchell
  • Aasta O'Connor

This is the current list as per our website:

• Rebecca Goring
  • Renee Garing
  • Mel Hickey
  • Kate Darby
  • Phoebe McWilliams
  • Erin Hoare
  • Richelle Cranston
  • Maddie Boyd
  • Anna Teague
  • Cassie Blakeway
  • Jordan Ivey
  • Danielle Orr
  • Meghan McDonald
  • Julia Crockett-Grills
  • Hayley Trevean
  • Mia-Rae Clifford
  • Hannah Burchell
  • Aasta O'Connor

No surprise I suppose that those out there today and on this list genuinely look a step above.

It's funny - in standing on the wing near some Collingwood fans and they are super annoying. Apparently Collingwood can't do no wrong, they've questioned every free kick against them, they laughed of my suggestion of kicking in danger (player has their head over the ball to pick it up and you kick in their direction kicking the ball into their head from less than half-a-foot, that is dangerous), and they keep complaining about our defenders holding & touching their forwards.

They are still complaining now that one of the players needs to tell the umpires what happening - during the second quarter they were complaining "look she's touching her", apparently just touching.

Do they not realise that players actually touch players in a match of football? It's not like it's a non-contact sport

Remove this Banner Ad

Back