Preview Preliminary Final: Geelong Cats v Brisbane Lions - 7:50 PM Friday the 16th of September

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
McLuggage was a guest on "On the Couch".
Fair to say that a media career does not appear likely after footy for young Hugh.
I thought Hugh was excellent and definitely no worse than Dipper, Ricciuto, Brian Taylor, Cameron Mooney, Nthan Jones, and could reel off many worse than what Hugh's display.

Coming into this finals series many on this board said we wouldn't get past the first week let alone beat Melbourne . The same ones who'd written us off now think we're a better chance against Geelong than we were in those games. Sentiment is driven by winning games.

We were entitled to beat Richmond ,had a super chance against a wounded Melbourne and now face a bigger test imo. We don't really have the same momentum as the Bulldogs in 2016. They won week 1 by 47 points and week 2 against the flag favorites Hawthorn by 23 points.

We've gained a lot of self belief and can win this week but it's harder and we need to play better for the whole game. That means players like Rayner and Bailey improve on last week , Berry gets off of course , Daniher puts in as he can when he's on song, McInerny is completely right , and Andrews ,Payne and Gardiner don't let their gun forwards have a day out.

I'm hopeful without getting carried away.
I think the dogs had more momentum - internally they knew they had played at a good level during the year, and the pantsing of West Coast was impressive. Hawks seemed to be on a bit of a slide but still knocked off the 3-peaters...

But our momentum is not to be sneezed at, especially an interstate win at the G. And beating the last 2 premiers.

Main different to me who is we come up against next - the dogs had the giants who were still young and unproven in finals, and finished 4th. We come up against the very experienced cats who just finished 2 games clear. The cats did have a much easier draw than Melbourne. But not really compared to us, they played twice: North, WC, Dogs, Port, Saints. We had Saints, Suns, Giants, Melbourne, Essendon. Melbourne is the only thing that makes our draw harder. Yes we had players missing v Essendon but we had pretty good availability through the year and played some team with key players missing through covid so I don't know if you can just give us an extra game.

I agree with hopeful but not getting carried away. I fell twice as anxious as I did last week. Last week was just so happy to beat Richmond, just wanted to be competitive. Now it's nerves jangling with a GF on the line. Wonder if players are similarly ramped up? You would hope they think of this not as a free hit, but as us fulfilling our potential of the last 4 years. That would be my message as coach - we have earned this. Don't think we are intruding on Geelong's destiny. It's ours too.

You could pick holes in our 2 wins. Richmond still scored HEAVILY against. Melbourne could have been a long way ahead. But how good to come from behind by 16 points and 28 points IN FINALS. That said we would want to start better this week.

Without going into match-ups, if we match the second half pressure of last week, or go close, we are a huge chance. Being able to do that is the question. But I feel we have the cattle to do it. Speed and spread.

The biggest thing i took from Melbourne is we know what is needed now in a proper high pressure final. Richmond we just needed a win, was very end to end. Melbourne brought he heat early, we finally responded to it. Need to go again.

If Berry is free to play would like to see him play on Atkins. He’s gone under the radar. Been very important to them this year.

I thought Hugh was excellent and definitely no worse than Dipper, Ricciuto, Brian Taylor, Cameron Mooney, Nthan Jones, and could reel off many worse than what Hugh's display.

I thought he was really nervous and that made him very careful and controlled in what he was saying.

He is no Darcy Wilmot. That would be fun to watch.

So against the tigers I got really nervous so with two minutes to go, do I had a shower. It drowned out the sound from my lounge room.

Last Friday it got to three minutes to go and I thought if I have a shower we will win.

And I did and we did.

Question: How the hell am I going to have a shower at the MCG in the grand final!?!?

So against the tigers I got really nervous so with two minutes to go, do I had a shower. It drowned out the sound from my lounge room.

Last Friday it got to three minutes to go and I thought if I have a shower we will win.

And I did and we did.

Question: How the hell am I going to have a shower at the MCG in the grand final!?!?

Head in the toilet and flush

And I did and we did.

Rain dance?

Who goes to Hawkins and Cameron? Adams usually did a pretty good job but I'm worried about what we do in these match ups if they don't work out, is it Andrews and Payne or bust, I don't think either of them match up too well on Cameron.

Could a left field idea could be McStay back if one of them get out of control?
Not a left field idea at all IMO. The coaches know better than me, but I would consider McStay straight to Cameron. Gardiner out, Fort keeps stays in. We play 2 rucks, which normally I'm not a huge fan of but Fort and O can offer something while resting up forward, Cameron stays around their feet.

And I did and we did.

Get that story to Fages and they'll let you into the rooms.

Last time I think I suggested Starcevich as an option for Jezza and would consider it again. Drop Payne or Dizzy. Shift Answerth back onto Stengle and bring in another mid. Cameron is a big pack mark or one on one out muscle type but requires good closing speed and quick reactions to when the ball comes to ground

Then we can always shift McStay down back if required.

And I did and we did.

image.gif

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Kiddy has a big bandage on his hammy v Melbourne. Did that get added during the game?

Last time I think I suggested Starcevich as an option for Jezza and would consider it again. Drop Payne or Dizzy. Shift Answerth back onto Stengle and bring in another mid. Cameron is a big pack mark or one on one out muscle type but requires good closing speed and quick reactions to when the ball comes to ground

Then we can always shift McStay down back if required.

No chance we're dropping Gardner or Payne IMO. Starcevich too small for Cameron, too.

Starcevich to Stengle, Payne to Rohan and Gardiner to Cameron for mine.

No way either McStay goes back (at least as an initial matchup) - too set up front and need to try and stretch them. They're not exactly tall down there, so good opportunity to work to our advantage.

I remember in 2020 how flat we were after the two finals byes. Geelong a much more experienced team in finals should handle it alright but I think we are in with a shot. I expect a game of two haves again, just hoping we are on the right end of it again.🤞

And I did and we did.

If it is raining just get out from under cover.

If it is dry - smuggle in a small watering can or one of those sports drinks with all the holes in the top and use that.

I thought he was really nervous and that made him very careful and controlled in what he was saying.

He is no Darcy Wilmot. That would be fun to watch.

A Tom Cruise on Oprahs couch kind of situation!

I think the dogs had more momentum - internally they knew they had played at a good level during the year, and the pantsing of West Coast was impressive. Hawks seemed to be on a bit of a slide but still knocked off the 3-peaters...

But our momentum is not to be sneezed at, especially an interstate win at the G. And beating the last 2 premiers.

Main different to me who is we come up against next - the dogs had the giants who were still young and unproven in finals, and finished 4th. We come up against the very experienced cats who just finished 2 games clear. The cats did have a much easier draw than Melbourne. But not really compared to us, they played twice: North, WC, Dogs, Port, Saints. We had Saints, Suns, Giants, Melbourne, Essendon. Melbourne is the only thing that makes our draw harder. Yes we had players missing v Essendon but we had pretty good availability through the year and played some team with key players missing through covid so I don't know if you can just give us an extra game.

I agree with hopeful but not getting carried away. I fell twice as anxious as I did last week. Last week was just so happy to beat Richmond, just wanted to be competitive. Now it's nerves jangling with a GF on the line. Wonder if players are similarly ramped up? You would hope they think of this not as a free hit, but as us fulfilling our potential of the last 4 years. That would be my message as coach - we have earned this. Don't think we are intruding on Geelong's destiny. It's ours too.

You could pick holes in our 2 wins. Richmond still scored HEAVILY against. Melbourne could have been a long way ahead. But how good to come from behind by 16 points and 28 points IN FINALS. That said we would want to start better this week.

Without going into match-ups, if we match the second half pressure of last week, or go close, we are a huge chance. Being able to do that is the question. But I feel we have the cattle to do it. Speed and spread.

The biggest thing i took from Melbourne is we know what is needed now in a proper high pressure final. Richmond we just needed a win, was very end to end. Melbourne brought he heat early, we finally responded to it. Need to go again.
Actually I'd say Geelongs draw was the easiest for any top 8 side significantly, played all those teams twice and also most of the hardest teams they played at Kardinia Park (which due to the significant difference in dimensions is pretty much a free win for them imo. They hardly beat Richmond or Collingwood at the MCG, played Melbourne at Kardinia Park. The hardest interstate games they played was against Sydney which thy lost at the SCG and against Port Adelaide which they almost lost at Adelaide Oval against a team that has been pretty poor this year, lost to Freo at Kardinia and only beat us by 10 points at Kardinia. Meanwhile many of the difficult teams we played away for pretty tight losses except for Melbourne and 3 of our losses came from teams we just beat in the Finals, then add on Covid screwing us for at least one game but maybe more with residual affects...to say that Geelong is definitively better than us I don't completely agree with but I do understand why they are favourites. Honestly, I thought Melbourne would beat us as I thought their gamestyle was a complete counter to us but I also thought it'd be much tighter than the pundits suggested.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back