Preview Preliminary Final: Geelong Cats v Brisbane Lions - 7:50 PM Friday the 16th of September

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hopefully Mrs Daniher will have another baby this weekend.

Please!!!
Ok, so this post has tipped me over the edge. From here on in I'm just deleting any post where you make reference to Joe, directly or indirectly. I don't know what he did to you but it's time to move on.

Use this opportunity to become a more well-rounded poster!

We obviously think we're a chance this week.

I'm hoping our brains trust has learnt something from our two finals matches.

If we hang in there and don't spend too much energy we have the cattle to overrun teams.

Through the Fagan years our gameplan has required a lot of energy from the word go. And the will to keep it up for the whole game.

We played a lot smarter in this finals series so far . Whether that just happened or by design I don't know. But we can see what works.
Naaah...they would have learned nothing....what would they know anyway???

Now Berry is free to play i would still start him on the wing
Dev to start the tag/run with role on who ever the decide to go after just like last week
Easy enough to change. Cats would expect Berry in middle from the start

Berry as a change up in center for second half is perfect. If we're going well with usual combination, Berry can come in even later whenever we notice a momentum shift.

Berry as a change up in center for second half is perfect. If we're going well with usual combination, Berry can come in even later whenever we notice a momentum shift.
I like the idea of having a few levers to pull during the game. The art is being able to identify when to use them. A lot would have been learnt from both finals games but I think the biggest learnings would have been the need for our mids and high half forwards pushing up into the defense.

Ok, so this post has tipped me over the edge. From here on in I'm just deleting any post where you make reference to Joe, directly or indirectly. I don't know what he did to you but it's time to move on.

Use this opportunity to become a more well-rounded poster!
Hang on a minute, I think BD is a bit tongue in cheek here. I think his post was funny. He may develop into a 3KZ. If Joe and Lester retired this would be a less interesting place

He has his bias with which most (all?) do not agree but he should be able to post it and who wants well rounded people on a forum. I hope you are not suggesting that his content will be not available on these threads at all?

Obviously, Joe is better than Fullarton, something that anyone who doesn't want Joe back in must answer, Something that Luthor quickly pointed out.

I’ve always thought we were a better chance against Geelong, because they haven’t been a running team. But even they have added extra run this year with the younger players they have incorporated in to their team.

I didn’t think we would advance in finals based on our form. Been the best 2 weeks of my life.

Going in if you’d said ‘who are you most hopeful againts out of Cats, Tigers, Dees?’ - I’d have said Cats due to match ups, our strengths/weaknesses opposed and recent results.

They are a very good team with an elite system and fresh legs but there’s hope there.

Losing Adams for this game is massive. He usually does a pretty good job on Hawkins - that game at the Gabba in 2019 comes to mind. I'm backing Rayner for a big game, especially if Lachie gets tagged out by O'Connor.

The pressure and endeavour we showed against Melbourne has made me really confident. If we can back that up again this week that'll go a long way to getting us over the line. This finals series is like a reverse of 2020, where this time we have all the wind in our sails heading into an away prelim whilst Geelong have no momentum - which I think will prove key given the nature of finals.

Losing Adams for this game is massive. He usually does a pretty good job on Hawkins - that game at the Gabba in 2019 comes to mind. I'm backing Rayner for a big game, especially if Lachie gets tagged out by O'Connor.

The pressure and endeavour we showed against Melbourne has made me really confident. If we can back that up again this week that'll go a long way to getting us over the line. This finals series is like a reverse of 2020, where this time we have all the wind in our sails heading into an away prelim whilst Geelong have no momentum - which I think will prove key given the nature of finals.

I reckon Payne is up for it. We'll give him all the tools to succeed on Friday and he's had two games to get settled in a finals environment. Just needs to keep him to 2 goals and minimal score involvements and he'll have had a big win.

Of course I still think Andrews will take him.

I reckon Payne is up for it. We'll give him all the tools to succeed on Friday and he's had two games to get settled in a finals environment. Just needs to keep him to 2 goals and minimal score involvements and he'll have had a big win.

Of course I still think Andrews will take him.
IIRC he played fairly well in that prelim a few years back, which was surprising because he was still so green at the time. I think he's got it in him to contain both Hawkins and Cameron, but in both instances, he needs to be more agro and more physical. He can't let them bully him - especially Cameron.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Payne also can’t be passive when he goes to spoil. We’ve seen that he can really punch the ball so do it. If you don’t want to mark the ball that’s fine but put your fist through it and make sure it gets to the boundary line. Don’t put the spoil back into a dangerous area which our defenders can sometimes be prone to do.

On a side note, was doing some comparisons to Geelongs midfield from last year when we beat them by 40 compared to their team against the Pies and there were three main changes.

Parfit, O'Connor & Esava out for Atkins, Holmes and Stewart

Only change I can see them making is bringing in O'Connor to tag Neale. Do they really bring Parfit in after beating the Pies? Would be tempting you'd think because if we beat Dangerfield, which of their midfielders are going to generate scores? I see Parfit as a guy who could help Danger in that area.

Will be interesting to see what they do.

Alright, I've had a good scout of Geelong's season and IMO the AFL's view of them as being this amazing dominant team all season is skewed. When was the last time they beat a legitimate contender away from GMHBA? (besides scraping past the Magpies and Richmond)? Win over Melbourne was in Geelong and they lost to Swans and Fremantle away.

Geelong's win/losses are inflated by at least 2-0 given 4 games against West Coast and North. We will apply just as much pressure as Collingwood except have a more polished midfield and potent forward line.

Lions by 23.

Geelong posters starting to get irritable on their preview thread. They claim that they are not idiots and Lions posters are too comfortable and too nice on their thread.:think:

I am aware that this post will not go unnoticed.
Upset at being called arrogant when their thread is full of comments about how easily they should win and that they are a much superior team.

Payne is our only defender who can match it physically with Hawkins.Need to get them into a wrestle.Play him back shoulder otherwise the old push in the back will come into play and Hawkins will have a field day given that no umpire will penalize him

Payne is our only defender who can match it physically with Hawkins.Need to get them into a wrestle.Play him back shoulder otherwise the old push in the back will come into play and Hawkins will have a field day given that no umpire will penalize him

Physicality isn't really a trait Payne displays on the footy field

Hang on a minute, I think BD is a bit tongue in cheek here. I think his post was funny. He may develop into a 3KZ. If Joe and Lester retired this would be a less interesting place

He has his bias with which most (all?) do not agree but he should be able to post it and who wants well rounded people on a forum. I hope you are not suggesting that his content will be not available on these threads at all?

Obviously, Joe is better than Fullarton, something that anyone who doesn't want Joe back in must answer, Something that Luthor quickly pointed out.
I'm not sure beardancer knows how to post tongue in cheek about Joe. But don't worry, this won't be a permanent ban because frankly who has the energy to keep track of it? And beardancer can continue to post all they want about non-Joe topics in the meantime.

You'll only stop Hawk and Cameron having an influence if you stop the ball coming in easily . They get a lot of free ball on the lead.

As far as Hawkins in the back goes he's been doing it on boundary throw ins for years and getting away with it so the only option is to have someone there to tackle him as soon as he gets it. Even then he's given 5 minutes to get rid of it.

Re marking contests his in the backs never seem to be paid either. Don't see we have the answer there in our personnel. Best option is to exaggerate the push like he does if it happens and hope.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back