Preview Preliminary Final: Geelong Cats v Brisbane Lions - 7:50 PM Friday the 16th of September

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just watched the Jeremy Cameron segment on AFL360. Damn he’s good. Do we play Starcevich on him when up the ground and Andrews when deeper? Can’t have Harris chasing him all day long - too slow and will get tired easily.
Assignment for McStay.

Dunno if you guys know this but Berry's had his one match ban quashed, so he's free to play this Friday. Good luck Lions!!:thumbsu:
Not sure if people are aware, but our win at the MCG last week against Melbourne broke something of a hoodoo at that ground.

Just watched the Jeremy Cameron segment on AFL360. Damn he’s good. Do we play Starcevich on him when up the ground and Andrews when deeper? Can’t have Harris chasing him all day long - too slow and will get tired easily.
The bloke that was our best endurance runner last week?

Different type of running. Jezza for lack of a better word is a ‘burst’ Player. Overworks his opponent by going on many sharp 50m to 75m runs And throw in a few directional changes I honestly can’t see how Andrews would keep up. It will take a team effort to limit jezza influence.

It’s a much harder task taking on Jezza when he’s dragging his opponents into the midfield these days. We had Rich and Gardiner both try and go with him to allow Harris to stay in his natural position. Didn’t work. What do we do differently this week?

Would it be ridiculous to ask whether Jerry could go to Jeremy Cameron and lock him down? Jerry has the endurance and height to go with him, but may get exposed if they then play Cameron across the full forward line.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If it is wet, Payne needs to be replaced by Lester or McStay playing in defence. Payne’s work on the deck and his physical presence do not warrant selection.
I am not as good as you 3KZ on the computer, but found this write up on AFL.Com.au from yesterday.
I don't think Payne was 'excellent' but thought he was OK last week, seen your edited clip of Payne errors, could do that for any back in most games, and including last week's semi. Lever, Petty and May looked ordinary at times throughout that game. Dizzy made errors, arguably Starc could have marked Kozzie a little tighter. Rich was pretty loose especially in the first Q etc etc.

Payne or Starc IMO are the only two bigger bodied backs who can get close to Rohan's speed, it certainly is not Lester, wet or dry.

We all know stats: are not the only measure of performance, but have a comparison of Lester 2022 AFL Fantasy Points (35.3)and Gardiners (50) against Payne's. (56.5)
Gardiner also has given away 19 Frees this year from 20 games. Payne has given away 2 from 11 games.

The McStay proposal I can see some merit, as IMO we have looked better with the two talls and Cam playing deep forward at times.

It could be argued McStay on Cameron, Payne on Rohan and Andrews on Hawkins, is a slightly more mobile and taller backline structure. What I think will happen is that Fort will miss out and that is a shame, first half was Ok, but I thought his second half was good last week.

Really looking forward to the game, just pleased with have made the PF, I did not think we would, and like all here I dare to dream of the last Saturday in September.

I think Mighty Lions was being pretty sarcastic in his post and I think most on here would agree with you, including me (I was quite vocal in calling for Lyons to be dropped).

The part we don't know is did Fages + crew time their changes perfectly (eg was is by design that Lyons got dropped on the eve of finals). They clearly knew he was injured for some time, gave him lots of opportunities to recover from, but then ruthlessly dropped him for our first final to bring in Dev.

I'd be so curious to know what changed to actually cause them to pull the trigger, especially considering Lyons then played in the VFL that same week. He hadn't been any worse in round 23 then any previous week, he was just bog average for months.

I reckon the round 23 Melbourne loss was the catalyst.

The way we lost it and the narrative aftermath sort of pushed some of the hard conversations forward in my view. We went in with a nothing to lose attitude to Richmond EF, made the changes and things sort of started clicking for us from there.

Coaching tweaks have been pretty refreshing to see, Berry in the middle is something we've added to the list now. The other bit I've seen is Rich pushing forward from D50 and being influential in midfield traffic. His little hit up kick in Q3 to Starce or McStay was fantastic. Pure skill.

Last edited:
I’m bored without having the hoodoo to break this week, winning to get into a granny seems small fry in comparison.

Move the game to GMHBA !!
Let's knock another one over !!

Talking more about twitter than the Geelong board as I haven't really looked by man aren't a lot of the Geelong supporters very confident. Good on them I guess!

They've won 14 straight. I guess they should be.

We could also argue they're due for a loss now, coming off 2 bye weeks, injury concerns on some players and potentially lacking match fitness. Ripe for picking !

giphy.gif

Nothing - tongue in cheek!

Was just pointing out my post (265), I backed in Gardiner to take Cameron. You stated no-one had in your post :D
Oh good, now JoBiltz doesn't love me it is good to have someone who agrees with me.

The posts on the match ups generally ignore Gardiner for some reason. I,ts the obvious one to me.

It does prove I am a bit thick though.

Clayton Oliver ,"hold my beer", although I still think Cameron has him pipped.

Jeremy Cameron bare minimum I can acknowledge as a great footballer even if he seems like a s**t person.

Oliver is a stat-padder extraordinaire who has convinced the footy world he’s a future triple Brownlow medallist

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back