Preview Preliminary Final v Brisbane Lions Friday night at Metricon Stadium

Remove this Banner Ad

I am not usually one to constantly bitch about umpiring, but tonight they were ******* garbage.
Yep. And they have so much more influence with shorter quarters and in lower scoring games. We were gone at half time and most Brisbane goals were directly from debatable umpiring decisions.

Hard to do much list adjustment when the AFLW is only planning limited opportunities.

Can't continue into next season with Rajcic and Whiteley in the best 22. Big question marks over Allen, Martin, Ballard - do they need different roles? Not a lot of depth, Button, Ward, Simmons, Considine aren't up to it.

Need to get all of today's bench into the 22 and find a few other players somehow

Lions have definitely lifted a gear this season. They have genuine potency all over the ground. Also their kicking is a clear class above us.

I won’t care much for the result next week, but it’s good to see the standards improving with each AFLW season.

Oh yeah, and the umps sucked too!

Garbage forward line and shot themselves in the foot with garbage team selection all season yet they still squirmed their way to a prelim (more so due to other teams not improving).

Serious questions to be asked of the off field staff and whether they had total focus this season and the Peter Caven move to coach the forwards did not work at all and weakened our backline overall as well.

Probably go deeper into the individual players later on but heaps of the team dropped off from previous standards especially with the basic skills of the game.

Yep. And they have so much more influence with shorter quarters and in lower scoring games. We were gone at half time and most Brisbane goals were directly from debatable umpiring decisions.
Also, it’s important to note our frees are usually well-earnt, and often deserved frees get missed. It’s disgusting to see us continually get served up with overt biases every freakin Finals.

2 clear examples in the last quarter:

- Martin giving away a high tackle, when her height is lower than the opponents nipple (the opponent ducked)

- up forward, Gould got a clear in the back....ignored.

Garbage forward line and shot themselves in the foot with garbage team selection all season yet they still squirmed their way to a prelim (more so due to other teams not improving).

Serious questions to be asked of the off field staff and whether they had total focus this season and the Peter Caven move to coach the forwards did not work at all and weakened our backline overall as well.

Probably go deeper into the individual players later on but heaps of the team dropped off from previous standards especially with the basic skills of the game.
This Is a bit harsh we just won a Premiership like 6 months ago, and are currently the most successful AFLW team in the competitions existence. We are going to have years where we're not up to it. We still had an excellent year, way better than 16 other clubs!

The worst umpiring decision* was stopping the game for Gould's "injury" in the last quarter for no reason, the clock running the whole time.

(*Actually now that I think of it, was the "high contact" against Marinoff to hide the fact that he'd accidentally paid a mark that was dropped.)

Bad and terrible decisions can happy to any umpire. But the number of procedural errors from umpires has been one of the worst things about the AFLW, and it's been unacceptably bad this season IMHO.

I still don’t get how Hatchard’s kicking has gone backwards. That’s the most puzzling thing for mine.

But I think the fairer observation is that some teams have advanced their skills further this season whereas we seemed to have stagnated. I don’t think we’re that far off from the current pace. Agreed though about the tough calls needed for next season, and more genuine skilled footballers needed.

I just went through our squad of 31

I feel there's 15 I'd build around. (Gould, Jones, Prowse, Martin, Marinoff, Biddell, Thompson, Ponter, McKinnon, Kelly, Woodland, Charlton, Randall, Hatchard, Allan)

That would be my core team going into 2023 who when fit, I would play 100% of the time.

Beyond that. Our squad is either kids still developing (ie. Mueller, Kustermann etc.), or players I dont care if we cut or not. (Consadine, Rajcic etc.)

Of those 15, Prowse I have on the bench as I feel we're too tall heavy to start her. But I also feel we need to find a good small forward and defender.

This is what I'd base the team around

F24. A.Woodland1. C.Gould
HF33. A.Hatchard15. D.Ponter-
C23. N.Kelly10. E.Marinoff25. T.Charlton
R21. M.McKinnon26. C.Randall5. R.Martin
HB14. S.Thompson12. C.Biddell2. E.Jones
B-39. S.Allan
INT4. Z.Prowse----

I want Gould up forward, did she kick the most goal this season for a ruck? Quite impressive. So base her out forward.

I noticed in 2022 (1) that our midfield was best when Martin was in there. She was quite the terrier using her pace to offset the lack of it from Phillips/Marinoff etc.

Ponter gives me Lynch vibes up the field. Strong mark on the lead, then get the ball forward.

Hatchard up forward to take advantage of her contested marking. However, that could make our forward line too slow, so if that's the case, I'd look into switching her and Randall around.

Yano who I miss - Nikki Gore. I'd love her rounding out the back 5. Shame about her wanting midfield minutes. She'd be a real asset for us. But she did what's best for her, so no ill feelings.

Last edited:
This Is a bit harsh we just won a Premiership like 6 months ago, and are currently the most successful AFLW team in the competitions existence. We are going to have years where we're not up to it. We still had an excellent year, way better than 16 other clubs!
I don’t think it’s harsh to point out that problems with the team, some that were probably also there 6 months ago but were able to be covered up and wallpapered over enough to win the flag were not able to be covered up this time around with the improvements made by particular teams.

The team stayed stagnant and Clarke even more so stayed stagnant, who can forget when he said before the season he didn’t see the need to change anything, which was a weird attitude for a coach to take. There’s laid back then there’s Clarke’s attitude he rolled out with this season.

I just went through our squad of 31

I feel there's 15 I'd build around. (Gould, Jones, Prowse, Martin, Marinoff, Biddell, Thompson, Ponter, McKinnon, Kelly, Woodland, Charlton, Randall, Hatchard, Allan)

That would be my core team going into 2023 who when fit, I would play 100% of the time.

Beyond that. Our squad is either kids still developing (ie. Mueller, Kustermann etc.), or players I dont care if we cut or not. (Consadine, Rajcic etc.)

Of those 15, Prowse I have on the bench as I feel we're too tall heavy to start her. But I also feel we need to find a good small forward and defender.

This is what I'd base the team around

F24. A.Woodland1. C.Gould
HF33. A.Hatchard15. D.Ponter-
C23. N.Kelly10. E.Marinoff25. T.Charlton
R21. M.McKinnon26. C.Randall5. R.Martin
HB14. S.Thompson12. C.Biddell2. E.Jones
B-39. S.Allan
INT4. Z.Prowse----

I want Gould up forward, did she kick the most goal this season for a ruck? Quite impressive. So base her out forward.

I noticed in 2022 (1) that our midfield was best when Martin was in there. She was quite the terrier using her pace to offset the lack of it from Phillips/Marinoff etc.

Ponter gives me Lynch vibes up the field. Strong mark on the lead, then get the ball forward.

Hatchard up forward to take advantage of her contested marking. However, that could make our forward line too slow, so if that's the case, I'd look into switching her and Randall around.

Yano who I miss - Nikki Gore. I'd love her rounding out the back 5. Shame about her wanting midfield minutes. She'd be a real asset for us. But she did what's best for her, so no ill feelings.
Agreed, I'd also have Newman in there though who I thought took her game to a better level.

I'd play both Mueller and Kustermann and Tonon as well. They might not ultimately make it long term but I reckon all are better options than the next tier down.

That leaves two further spots and I'm not enthused about the options there.

What baffles me is we've been unable to find room for all three of our talented taller ruck types even with Prowse going back, and still have resorted to Whiteley/Ward/Dowrick/Simmons. It's like Clarke just has to play some spud tall, it's on the whiteboard in permanent marker

I think this season also highlights the significant loss we had with no Erin in form - that genuine class up forward. Dowrick was looking decent class and looks a good goal sneak before her injury, so hoping she can fill that void up forward for next season.

I think this season also highlights the significant loss we had with no Erin in form - that genuine class up forward. Dowrick was looking decent class and looks a good goal sneak before her injury, so hoping she can fill that void up forward for next season.
Dowrick played one good game and it was a rout.

I don't think she's the answer

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Agreed, I'd also have Newman in there though who I thought took her game to a better level.

I'd play both Mueller and Kustermann and Tonon as well. They might not ultimately make it long term but I reckon all are better options than the next tier down.

That leaves two further spots and I'm not enthused about the options there
Agreed on Mueller/Kustermann - Unsure if they'll make it, but worth the go short term. Tonon? I mean, they are better than the next tier down as you said, but I'd nearly rather bring in players from elsewhere.

The only other change I'd consider is give Biddell a run in the midfield and cover her with Randall.

I get the arguments of 'if it aint broke, why change' - But I can see her disposal and penetrating deep kicks being an asset further up the field. Give her a go there in the pre-season. If it fails in the pre-season back down back. But I would love to see, can it make us better? Im not sure.

Agreed on Mueller/Kustermann - Unsure if they'll make it, but worth the go short term. Tonon? I mean, they are better than the next tier down as you said, but I'd nearly rather bring in players from elsewhere.

The only other change I'd consider is give Biddell a run in the midfield and cover her with Randall.

I get the arguments of 'if it aint broke, why change' - But I can see her disposal and penetrating deep kicks being an asset further up the field. Give her a go there in the pre-season. If it fails in the pre-season back down back. But I would love to see, can it make us better? Im not sure.
The issue is where do we get players from? It sounds like there won't be much opportunity, maybe a mature ager draft. Will there even be trades?

We might need to grab another player from Ireland

Dowrick played one good game and it was a rout.

I don't think she's the answer
She’s still young, and our forward entries haven’t been the best way to improve a forward craft of a player. I think she has some nice skill sets to do ok up forward.

She’s still young, and our forward entries haven’t been the best way to improve a forward craft of a player. I think she has some nice skill sets to do ok up forward.
I think her style would have suited 2017 era AFLW.

Game is too quick and athletic these days

Free kick count, 18-9. Who would have guessed that would happen to us in a big final.

That being said, Brisbane looked the better team today. We have done well to make the prelims. We definitely look a bit weak around the edges now though against most teams. Definitely need to mix it up a bit next year and pump games into some of the next generation.

Hatchard and Noff - don't think physically they look as good as they did last season. Reckon both have lost a bit of zip/breakaway pace, resulting in them disposing of the ball with less space/under more pressure.
Jones and STL - don't reckon we have used these players well enough this season. Need to utilise their speed on the outside. Brisbane tore us apart with their pacey players waiting to burst away at the back of the contest rather than contesting. We seem to overcommit players rather than having them wait for their moment.

I think her style would have suited 2017 era AFLW.

Game is too quick and athletic these days
The highlighted in bold is what I’m
seeing in Dowrick. She got 4 goals in one game I believe, and you can’t do that if you haven’t got the ability. She was someone I was really looking forward to seeing how much further she could improve.

Our issue is speed.

There's players in the team (Waterhouse, Ballard etc.) Who I really like, but we just need more speed, and I feel these are the fringe players we need to let go to bring in speed.

Not a single comment about the good stuff. We have three flags, one runner up and now third in 7 seasons.

Yeh, we really suck.

Great progress by Biddell, Gould, Newman and Charlton this season. Randall and Allan are pure class and Jamie Lee had a very good season

Noffy and Hatchard were below their best this season and Eloise had a pretty average season.

I liked the look of Prowse once she became a regular. Sadly a couple of our more experienced players lack the speed and talent to justify a spot in the future.

Not a single comment about the good stuff. We have three flags, one runner up and now third in 7 seasons.

Yeh, we really suck.

Great progress by Biddell, Gould, Newman and Charlton this season. Randall and Allan are pure class and Jamie Lee had a very good season

Noffy and Hatchard were below their best this season and Eloise had a pretty average season.

I liked the look of Prowse once she became a regular. Sadly a couple of our more experienced players lack the speed and talent to justify a spot in the future.
3 from 6 really, after 2020 was abandoned.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back