Unofficial Preview Preliminary final vs gws MCG Friday 22nd September @ 7.50 PM

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
A good finish you mean?

Coxy is what he is, not sure what people are expecting from him.

He could kick 3 in a quarter, get 35 hit outs or he might barely touch it. We know what he's capable of on his day.
If Coxy starts well, he can get the strut going. In that mood, he can be hard to stop.

I wouldn't say least talented myself

I probably have us third

1. Brisbane
2. GWS
3. Collingwood
4. Carlton

One could argue Carlton's Top 5 edges out our Top 5? But Carlton falls off a fairly steep cliff after the Top 5. I think we bat way way deeper.

I prefer to look at players when things aren't going well and I think Carlton's list gets exposed a little more when things aren't going well. I just reckon overall we're a bit more reliable.
lets see a breakdown on how you got these rankings.

Funnily enough, GWS is playing much like they did in their early years - relentless running of the ball, with potent talented forwards and goal-kicking mids. The big difference now though is that have a much harder edge and are much better defensively than they used to be.

They don't have obvious weaknesses, other than perhaps too much youth and inexperience. Hopefully the mental and physical fatigue of three finals in three weeks, and associated travel, catches up with them on Friday night.
Riccardi and Hogan potent talented fwds?
Neither of them are a Curnow.

The media can Pump up GWS all they want, we have been on top for a long time and the hunger from last year will still be there. We need to start well and if its close at half time we should run over them. Take your chances play the moments and its time for Degoey to show he is the man and rip these next 2 game apart.

Gee, everyone is talking up GWS, I don't know whether to start believing it or not, but then I think to myself, nah, we'll smash these donkeys
I was believing the hype until I went and reviewed of their recent games. Hardly an unstoppable juggernaut.

A tough opponent nonetheless

Not that I rate King - he vacillates on everything. But he's got good reason to be rating GWS.
If you take only recent form into account - that is, from Round 12 onwards, so 12 games played. GWS would have finished 2nd on the ladder.

I was curious and did a ladder from round 12 to 24 as well as a premiership window from round 12 onwards only.

With just one more win, we'd have finished 3rd in that period, but ranked 5th.

Interestingly, the 4 remaining teams are in the premiership window, and Carlton, just outside, but with the lowest AGAINST in that period.

View attachment 1806821

View attachment 1806820
They played 5 bottom six teams and 2 of the Top4 in that time.
We played all the Top 4 and 3 of the bottom 6.

That's why selective analysis like this can be misleading.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

lets see a breakdown on how you got these rankings.

I personally think they have more quality players overall player for player

I also in 2017 said I believe we had a better list than Richmond player for player. Thought we just needed better coaching a a decent run with injury.

Brisbane objectively has a better forward line
Brisbane probably edges us in the middle.
Backline I probably give us the edge?

So they have us on 2 out of 3 lines. Player for player

GWS I give them the edge in the middle.
GWS I give them the edge in the backline, mostly down to the Taylor/Buckley combo.
I give us a VERY slight edge in the forward line only because I think Hogan is a bit overrated and in a purple patch

So again, for me, player for player I give GWS the edge

Kingy has written us off. All over the Giants on SEN this morning.
Honestly I’ve never seen anyone flip flop on to so many bandwagons in the space of a season…

Seriously? When does it stop? Four, five?

Currently we have a Changes and Pre-match discussion thread, then Finnishpie posts his preview.

If you are interested in doing previews then put your hand up to volunteer next year.

I see this thread has been charging along in my absence but I've posted the official preview as its own thread. Maggie5

Just for everyone's info, it seemed to make sense to wait until we knew who we were playing and the outcome of injuries -- and last time I got a bit of flak for posting the Preview too early :)

As it stands, though, I will be retiring come seasons end so someone else can step up! Onward!

I was believing the hype until I went and reviewed of their recent games. Hardly an unstoppable juggernaut.

A tough opponent nonetheless
Against Port they scored 4.4 in the second half against a depleted team carrying injured players, so they're definitely not a juggernaut.
And Port kicked 1.9 in the last quarter.
I think we'll turn the orange tsunami into a gentle swell.

I see this thread has been charging along in my absence but I've posted the official preview as its own thread. Maggie5

Just for everyone's info, it seemed to make sense to wait until we knew who we were playing and the outcome of injuries -- and last time I got a bit of flak for posting the Preview too early :)

As it stands, though, I will be retiring come seasons end so someone else can step up! Onward!
Thanks for all the previews, maybe you can still do a couple?

Much appreciated.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back