HB: K.Donnellan - C 15 E.Gooch 8 P.Seth 18
C: K.Bowers 2
HF: A.Atkins 37 E.Antonio 12 H.Miller 19
F: K.Gibson 21 G.Houghton 27 A.Sharp 1
Foll: A.Janz 30 D.Hooker 17 S.Cain 20
I/C: L.Mascall 14 S.Duffy 6 G.O'Sullivan 22 M.Sergeant 23 M.Caulfield 10
Emerg: L.Pugh 32 K.Grieve 13

No changes

Live coverage on 7's main channel in Melbourne and Perth starting 15 minutes ago, probably 7mate elsewhere idk.

Carlton find 20+ from Prespakis and Davey while the forwards kick accurately in front of goal, then there's a decent chance of a good game. The rugby converts in Dalton and Walker have really started to find their feet in recent weeks which ought to make it a bit tougher for the Dockers in defence.

Fremantle have usually ran out games really well this season so it'll get pretty ugly if the Blues can't manage a full four-quarter effort. Maybe a couple injury clouds with Duffy and Hooker, but no actual clouds in the sky so they should be able to employ their preferred fast-paced style.

Damn, what a goal that would've been from the most unlikely suspect in Moody. Didn't look like she was even thinking about kicking the goal so can't blame Loynes for trying to mark it.

Strong start by Carlton but Harris the only one providing that critical accuracy in front of goal so far! This is a situation where opposition coaches are usually too conservative, if the Blues were 5.1 then Trent Cooper would be making all sorts of tactical changes so the way they line up in the 2nd will be interesting.

Channel 7 fire your work experience kid or just take them off director duties, gahhwd.

Freo without any speed in their ball movement and just nothing to kick to further up the ground. I'm a broken record on this issue but playing Antonio behind the ball makes the job of other defenders harder because they lose their best bail-out kick option up the line.

Carlton have got this in the bag... is what I would say if it wasn't for a few semi-epic fadeouts already from them this season. But it looks like a three-quarter effort might get the job done after all.

Terrific team goal by Fremantle to give O'Sullivan her second but it sure didn't come easy. Thought it might've given them the faintest pulse but that Lucas-Rodd reply was pretty damning.

Well done Blues. The improvement over the season has been remarkable. Great to have a Carlton side in the GF, where they belong. Women leading the way for the Men. One last step.

Lauren Brazzale: Carlton's version of Anne Hatchard? Perfect time to have a third mid pop up like that and really help out the two main bulls. Her best game and the team's highest high was R1 2017 until today. They can win the premiership because, as I said during the week, their best football has proven to be as good as anybody's.

On the other hand this was easily the lowest low for the Dockers under the new coach, and it was a very Cowanesque kind of performance down to the meaningless clearance numbers... 28-21 sounds like they were in the contest. They weren't. Disposal count is the stat that really reflects what was going on out there, they had 138 touches which is basically what the wooden-spooners managed in their worst showing of the season.

Channel 7 fire your work experience kid or just take them off director duties, gahhwd.
Displaying my Fellini-calibre of eye there, Jason Bennett mentioned at the end of the broadcast that their regular director was out sick. I'm free if they want somebody who won't cut away from forwards about to take a mark in the goalsquare!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If Adelaide get up it will be the best two teams in the Granny. AFL house should rightly be ecstatic with the result. Given our current form we'll be hard to beat.

Your tears are delicious
Prepare for Carlton to be destroyed next week.
If Adelaide get up it will be the best two teams in the Granny. AFL house should rightly be ecstatic with the result. Given our current form we'll be hard to beat.
You couldn't troll more obviously if you tried.

Today's result is why I really wanted North Melbourne to win last week, so that A2 did not have to travel. Today's result does not mitigate the incompetence of the AFL/AFLW in devising the conference system for this season. Past inequities in the VFL and AFL have been subsequently and justifiably corrected and I suspect we won't see a repeat of this disastrous season.

1990 - drawn final between Collingwood and West Coast disadvantaged minor premier Essendon that had the bye then had to endure another week off
- Drawn finals (and 20 years later, grand finals) were abolished

1997 - Adelaide (4th) were awarded a home semi-final against Geelong (2nd)
1999 - Carlton (6th) lose by 73 points in their QF yet go on to make the grand final
- The original McIntyre Final Eight system was dumped

Sunday, March 24
Adelaide v Geelong at Adelaide Oval, 12.40pm ACDT

ADELAIDE

B: D.Cox 31 S.Allan 39 C.Cramey 22
HB: D.Varnhagen 9 C.Randall 26 A.Foley 3
C: E.Phillips - C 13
HF: J.Mules 23 M.Rajcic 32 D.Ponter 15
F: E.Jones 2 C.Scheer 4 S.Thompson 14
Foll: J.Foley 24 E.Marinoff 10 A.Hatchard 33
I/C: J.McCormick 5 A.Considine 16 S.Li 19 R.Forth 27 H.Martin 6
Emerg: N.Gore 7 J.Sedunary 17

No changes

GEELONG

B: A.Teague 40 R.Goring 44 M.McMahon 24
HB:M.Hickey - C 18 M.McDonald 11 D.Taylor 28
C: R.Cranston 30
HF: S.Van De Heuvel 27 M.Boyd 26 J.Crockett-Grills 6
F: J.Ivey 5 K.Darby 8 A.O'Connor 14
Foll: E.Hoare 46 R.Garing 12 O.Purcell 16
I/C: D.Orr 2 M.Clifford 7 R.Webster 21 C.Blakeway 4 M.Keryk 45
Emerg: G.Clarke 17 H.Burchell 3

In: A.Teague, R.Webster
Out: P.McWilliams (hand), H.Burchell

Televised nationwide on FTA like yesterday, with 7 showing it on their main channel in VIC and SA.

The regular season encounter between these two teams felt about as lopsided as it gets, nevertheless I thought it was an important step for the Cats as they managed to show their most impressive counter-attacking version of themselves. Consequently Geelong recorded their highest score of 2019 against the Crows despite the five-goal loss.

An ideal performance for Adelaide would perhaps be a repeat of their match against the Giants--hard struggle for three quarters and turning on the afterburners in the fourth. It should be noted that even though they've found a lot of improvement from players across the board, they haven't had to do it without Erin Phillips at the top of her game in the last 7 weeks. If she has a rare quiet day, for whatever reason, who knows what could happen folks.

Wasn't an especially high-intensity start, few things to work on for both teams. Adelaide a little too cute in the first with some over-handballing here and there, Geelong wayyy too slow bringing the ball up the ground.

I would so prefer to see Danielle Orr in that situation take on the player on the mark there if she's lacking the confidence in her set shot (which is what it looked like to me), gotta work to your strengths etc.

Adelaide just as dominant as last week but kinda going at half the ratpower, except for that last play starting with Allan at the back.

Geelong with 98 disposals in the half, which is nothing to sneeze at in AFLW. They've laid 17 tackles in total though, which is what the Crows have managed in their forward 50 alone. There's just no system and urgency to move the footy out of the back-half atm, need to get it in the hands of somebody like Cranston down there to provide some dash.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back