C Section Prem C - 2023

Remove this Banner Ad

Final Honest Match Review - GF. OI v OCamb

Location. TBO
Conditions. Near perfect, 1-2 goal wing favouring the social rooms, blowing also a little across the ground as well.

OI is their traditional home kit. OC refused to wear their clash jumper as advised, even though we did in the 2nd Semi.

OI No changes from the 2nd Semi.
OC brought Hart back from injury and Allen back from 3 weeks overseas.

Quarter 1.

OC started a little better, but finally OI got their 1st goal from gun recruit Hooy.

OC‘s first goal, should win Goal of the Year, not just for its execution, but the goal kicker, Verbi, initiall sourced the ball near full backed, then storming down the ground, he got the ball again at the half forward line, hand ball given, then received then proceeded to kick a goal from a near impossible angle.

OI’s second goal would also be a contender for GOTY. After the ball went out of bound on the full, Naish sprinted 200 metres to take the kick. He then proceeded to play on, kicking the goal from 60 metres out, just clearing the site screen Milham on the line.

OI’s next was a little lucky, due to a perceived sling tackle.

With 10 seconds to go in the 1st quarter a poor execution by OI, saw OC get a free kick which they executed successfully. OI went into the 1st quarter break 16 points up. Probably 1 goal short.

The second quarter was a see sawing affair, with OC kicking the 1st, the OI, then OC, then OI, then OC, then OI, then OC. OC‘s goals were all snaps from various angles, whereas OI where from forward line pressure. Also OI continued to kick inaccurately. Watching guys who have played at very high levels coming back to local levels kick the football with worth the price of admission (even $17).

The game was won in the last 4 minutes of the 2nd quarter, when OI kicked 3 unanswered goals, going into the main break 29 points up. Whilst it was warm OI we’re happy they didn’t play the previous week. OC were showing signs of slowing, and with Oliver being on the receiving end of a Mitris bear hug, which saw him leave the field a little worse for wear.

The 3rd quarter was going to be make of break for OC, and they came out firing with Liam Thomas shaking the Riddle blanket to kick two goals, then Verbi missed two further shots reducing teh margin to 15 points. OI then got the momentum back, but poor kicking and good OC pressure, saw OI kick 5 straight points. It wasn’t until 5”8’ Max Whiten was tackled by 6”10’ Milham, which saw the Under 19 small forward calmly slot OI’s only goal for the quarter. OC kicked 2 goals and 2 behinds. Should have been 3 goals. OI kick 1 goal 7. Should have been 4 goals. OI’s lost the quarter by 1 point. Naish did a barrel that flew 60+ metes and rolled for another 20 metres. His kicking skills are freakish.

The last quarter saw a lot of missed opportunities for both teams, finally after a technical 50m Milham kicked OC’s first goal, some 23 minutes into the last quarter. Two minutes later, young Agrotis kicked his 1st, which was the real nail in the coffin, Scuderi crumbed his second and after Milham gave a away a free kick to Rattray-Wood, followed by a poorly disciplined 50, RW slotted the goal as the siren went. OI win by 42 points.

Keys to OI’s win.
OC’ forwards struggled against a very strong backline.
OI forward pressure was excellent.
OI had the week off
OI whilst not at full strength, the 22 who played were all 99% fit.
OC were carrying players who clearly weren’t 100%.
Naish and Murphy are at another level.

Observations of OC
It clear Milham is a hit out force, but when the heat was on, OC’s onballers could break free.
Given he is an under 19, Thomas is already star.
Verbi is very lippy, likes to stage, but is an elite talent.
Have some ageing players that may not go around next year.
OC were devastated after losing the 2nd semi, but even though said they learned a lot from the loss, their game plan didnt seem to change in the GF. Naish went unchecked for both games.

Obviously a great day for the club, with 3 premierships.
Thanks to the VAFA putting them on, one after another. Made a great day long, but worth it.
Thank the weather Gods. There was wind, but more goals were kicked into it.
I met the great man Pazza.
Umpires were top notch.
Support for all teams who played on the day was huge.
What’s with the ressies kicking 1 goal to 2 by 3 quarter time in near perfect conditions.
Surely the commentators should have know who Billy Murphy was and the our Nick Graham is not the ex AFL Nick Graham.

Max “Go Hoes” Leader
Refused to wear clash strip , to me that's typical of them

Refused to wear clash strip , to me that's typical of them
Mr Bedford. According to the club grapevine the club consulted with the VAFA concerning the possible jumper clash and VAFA advised that they didn't consider that there was a jumper clash. Apparently the VAFA don't like the VAFA clash jumpers to be used in Grand Finals because they consider it reduces the spectacle of the Grand Final, plus hinders the taking of photos of after match celebrations.

I understand at the request of the VAFA the club did have an alternate set of jumpers at the ground. These jumpers don't currently conform to VAFA standards as apparently they contain old sponsor and VAFA logos. I heard that the club were advised that the club would only be required to use the alternate jumpers if the Field Umpires felt they would have difficulty in distinguishing between the players for each club and thus had difficulty in fairly umpiring the match.

So to say that the club refused to wear a clash strip is not actually correct I would say!!!

Further I watched some of the live stream on my IPhone while scoring a Cricket Practice Match and had no problems is working out who were Old Ivanhoe players and who were Old Camberwell players. The commentators also seamed to have little trouble distinguishing who was who as well.

Last edited:
Mr Bedford. According to the club grapevine the club consulted with the VAFA concerning the possible jumper clash and VAFA advised that they didn't consider that there was a jumper clash. Apparently the VAFA don't like the VAFA clash jumpers to be used in Grand Finals because they consider it reduces the spectacle of the Grand Final, plus hinders the taking of photos of after match celebrations.

I understand at the request of the VAFA the club did have an alternate set of jumpers at the ground. These jumpers don't currently conform to VAFA standards as apparently they contain old sponsor and VAFA logos. I heard that the club were advised that the club would only be required to use the alternate jumpers if the Field Umpires felt they would have difficulty in distinguishing between the players for each club and thus had difficulty in fairly umpiring the match.

So to say that the club refused to wear a clash strip is not actually correct I would say!!!

Further I watched some of the live stream on my IPhone while scoring a Cricket Practice Match and had no problems is working out who were Old Ivanhoe players and who were Old Camberwell players. The commentators also seamed to have little trouble distinguishing who was who as well.
What did OI where in the 2nd Semi and Round 16 at Gordon Barnard. That’s right our away strip. The VAFA website has it as clash strip.

That said, it shouldn’t be a clash strip. But they did refuse.

Thank you Mr Bar , but OI, OC and Ormond always have clash jumpers against one another and it is designated by the VAFA .

Heard the interview with your coach today. Very impressive. Seems that the old man is still very much hands-on.

The story about how Naish landed in your lap was interesting too. If Chump is doing his job the cheque will be out, do you think?;)

Congrats on the season and a convincing win.
Not at all AM .... Pat is an Old Ivanhoe Grammar captain with strong ties to OI, so not the 'junior' we worry about missing out on to be honest. He came back to play with school mates this year and they have created history - well done to them.

That said if we start going up the grades in the NFNL I'll ask Maxy for his phone number 😂😂😂😂

Chump 🏆

Very very impressive effort by Old Ivanhoe to land Murphy, Naish who was on afl list recently and Riddle best defender in NFL. Not sure how they got the deal done.. but what a trio..
Murphy, a teacher. Took 7 years to get him back.
Riddle, Brother in law of Murphy
Naish, lives with club captain and when Wang was penalised. Thought why not.

All Old Boys.

20 of the 22 went to the school.
5 under 19’s including two still doing year 12.

A lot of work, some good luck and winning the 2nd Semi really helps.

Murphy, a teacher. Took 7 years to get him back.
Riddle, Brother in law of Murphy
Naish, lives with club captain and when Wang was penalised. Thought why not.

All Old Boys.

20 of the 22 went to the school.
5 under 19’s including two still doing year 12.

A lot of work, some good luck and winning the 2nd Semi really helps.
Good summary, I heard from someone involved with our club that your under 19s also won the flag and looked super fit and well drilled, hopefully that group stay together and A grade will be around the corner for the Old Ivanhoe lads soon enough.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back