C Section Prem C 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

Better not. Already has 2 seasons compromised.
After the debacle of 2022 surely this could not happen again. STMB had 2 x U19s including one in Premier so you would think they have some numbers coming through, albeit they seem to have lost some senior talent. Simply cannot have clubs dictating where they play based on the potential for a year of struggle. Should only happen in extreme circumstances and then only if a club in the grade below agrees to replace them.

After the debacle of 2022 surely this could not happen again. STMB had 2 x U19s including one in Premier so you would think they have some numbers coming through, albeit they seem to have lost some senior talent. Simply cannot have clubs dictating where they play based on the potential for a year of struggle. Should only happen in extreme circumstances and then only if a club in the grade below agrees to replace them.
I wouldn't even do that.
Two down and two up!

I wouldn't even do that.
Two down and two up!
It’s a bit murky as the VAFA set a precedent a few years back. Parkdale applied to go down a grade pre the 2021 season following a massive player exodus. Several C grade clubs were offered the opportunity to replace them but declined. Parkdale took their medicine and played B grade but got hammered every week. The season was abandoned about halfway through from memory. Parkdale argued that as they finished last in the 2021 they should be relegated. Again no club in C grade wanted to go up, on the basis that the season was incomplete. As a consequence we had the ridiculous situation of a 9 team B grade and 11 team C grade. While I hate the idea of clubs being allowed to pick and choose, but could tolerate this if we kept a 10 team competition in both grades.

It’s a bit murky as the VAFA set a precedent a few years back. Parkdale applied to go down a grade pre the 2021 season following a massive player exodus. Several C grade clubs were offered the opportunity to replace them but declined. Parkdale took their medicine and played B grade but got hammered every week. The season was abandoned about halfway through from memory. Parkdale argued that as they finished last in the 2021 they should be relegated. Again no club in C grade wanted to go up, on the basis that the season was incomplete. As a consequence we had the ridiculous situation of a 9 team B grade and 11 team C grade. While I hate the idea of clubs being allowed to pick and choose, but could tolerate this if we kept a 10 team competition in both grades.
No teams were to be relegated at the end of the shortened season. Parkdale needed to stay up. It stuffed everything up for Prem C big time.

Don’t blame any C Grade for not wanting to go up.

No teams were to be relegated at the end of the shortened season. Parkdale needed to stay up. It stuffed everything up for Prem C big time.

Don’t blame any C Grade for not wanting to go up.
I'm not and not sure how my post inferred I was. Blame was squarely on the VAFA.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Clubs requesting to go down a grade due to player exodus is embarrassing. The request should NEVER be considered by the VAFA. It falls into the "STIFF SH*T" category.
Clubs that find themselves in that position need to do what clubs have done for 100 years and suck it up!!
Take your medicine for the year, start to rebuild the following year.
The mere suggestion is an insult to all the clubs that have battled their way through very tough years.

I wonder if the overseas exodus will be as big this year for clubs. You would hope many would have got it out of their system in 2023.
I'm not so sure about this. Many who are mortgage holders or blokes paying much higher rent than 12-18 months ago will likely be saving their pennies not going to Europe. Plus, not being an Ashes year, there probably isn't going to be as much traffic to Europe in 2024 you'd think.

What rock ?
The Rock Wrestling GIF by WWE

The gap between C and B is as much physical as mental.

OGS went up with a positive attitude. Monash not so much (players not club).

Need to retain GF team plus more to contend.

Also depends on who is coming down from Prem A. If teams come down with a positive attitude then it makes life tougher for the Prem C teams.
Can assure you there was no attitude issue at Monash last year. Just not enough cattle. Agree that to win many games after promotion you need to build on your grand final list. Monash lost literally half of the 22 flag team including the best player in the grade.
Hope a positive attitude gets your mob enough wins to stay up Max.

Can assure you there was no attitude issue at Monash last year. Just not enough cattle. Agree that to win many games after promotion you need to build on your grand final list. Monash lost literally half of the 22 flag team including the best player in the grade.
Hope a positive attitude gets your mob enough wins to stay up Max.
Where did the big fella end up playing Les

Remove this Banner Ad

Back